+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I bring my spouse and child to Canada along with me?

May 2, 2017
Hi,

I have received an ITA for Express entry. I had not included my spouse and child in the application because of lack of points.
I wanted to ask if I can take my wife and daughter along with me on visitor's visa? If yes, can they apply for PR under family sponsorship while staying in Canada? If not, What are the other options to take them along with me?

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
when you say you "had not included my spouse and child in the application because of lack of points", does that mean you listed them in the application as non-accompanying or does that mean you did not mention in the application that you are married with a child?

this makes a significant difference.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
sagarw11@yahoo.co.in said:
Hi,

I have received an ITA for Express entry. I had not included my spouse and child in the application because of lack of points.
I wanted to ask if I can take my wife and daughter along with me on visitor's visa? If yes, can they apply for PR under family sponsorship while staying in Canada? If not, What are the other options to take them along with me?
Yes - they can apply for a TRV - however there's no guarantee the TRV will be approved. If the TRV is approved, they can come to Canada as visitors and you can sponsor them inland. If they are refused, you will need to travel to Canada alone and sponsor them from Canada while they remain in your home country. You'll then need to remain in Canada while their application is processed.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
CDNPR2014 said:
when you say you "had not included my spouse and child in the application because of lack of points", does that mean you listed them in the application as non-accompanying or does that mean you did not mention in the application that you are married with a child?

this makes a significant difference.
OP listed his family members as non-accompanying since listing his spouse as accompanying lowered his points under EE. This is fairly common over in the EE section of the forum.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
scylla said:
OP listed his family members as non-accompanying since listing his spouse as accompanying lowered his points under EE. This is fairly common over in the EE section of the forum.
not listing family members i assume lowers points too. that is why i asked for the specifics. there are some people who will unknowingly risk future applications to get here quicker.

StevieFray

Jan 26, 2015
Nomination.....
17-07-2017
Passport Req..
15-01-2018
not listing family members i assume lowers points too. that is why i asked for the specifics. there are some people who will unknowingly risk future applications to get here quicker.

So if my family composition changed on the day I received my PPR, what is required if your common-law partner is not accompanying you to Canada? Will this delay my time of receiving a COPR? Willl I be able to submit for PPR while she is in the process of getting her medicals and PCC? I'm just not in the mood for gathering all that evidence crap after just completing my own process to waste further time. See what confuses me is that, my time gets extended at the end stage instead of the beginning. By me saying I am in a common-law relationship as of this time also stands as misrepresentation, so I'm not going to do that either.

Yeah maybe its uncommon but just because we would be in a common-law relationship at that point in time doesn't mean she wants to participate in what I would want. Who am I to force her to get a medical done or her hands fingerprinted.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Not listing family members would increase points. However, that same point increase if given when family members are simply listed as non-accompanying. As scylla said, this is very common for EE applicants.

StevieFray

Jan 26, 2015
Nomination.....
17-07-2017
Passport Req..
15-01-2018
Not listing family members would increase points. However, that same point increase if given when family members are simply listed as non-accompanying. As scylla said, this is very common for EE applicants.

I get that part of it, but at this time, I cannot list her regardless as we have not satisfied common-law requirements, so if we decide to still live together, then and only if we meet that 12 month requirement before PPR and COPR, I will notify CIC. The same way CIC is being literal, I shall too. I can land in a day's time, already got things set up. So if I land two days before it constitutes my common-law, well nothing was violated based on their guidelines either. If we decide not to live together then it doesn't matter.

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I get that part of it, but at this time, I cannot list her regardless as we have not satisfied common-law requirements, so if we decide to still live together, then and only if we meet that 12 month requirement before PPR and COPR, I will notify CIC. The same way CIC is being literal, I shall too. I can land in a day's time, already got things set up. So if I land two days before it constitutes my common-law, well nothing was violated based on their guidelines either. If we decide not to live together then it doesn't matter.
My answer was not directed at you. Your options have already been discussed in your own thread.