+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I break my rental agreement if my employment ends in Ontario?

titanik

Aug 28, 2021
Toronto
Category........
CEC
AOR Received.
22-07-2023
Hi everyone,

I'm a newcomer in Toronto. I have read the Residential Tenancies law on Ontario's official page but did not see anything regarding what happens if I lose my job. Can I terminate the agreement if I can't afford it due to unemployment?

Thanks!

titanik

Aug 28, 2021
Toronto
Category........
CEC
AOR Received.
22-07-2023
I have just rented an apartment for a year. I hope I won't end up in that situation, but I'm curious if that happens to me. Do I have to stay and pay for a full year?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I have just rented an apartment for a year. I hope I won't end up in that situation, but I'm curious if that happens to me. Do I have to stay and pay for a full year?
You have an year long lease so yes. If you want to terminate the agreement then you need to negotiate ending the lease.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hi everyone,

I'm a newcomer in Toronto. I have read the Residential Tenancies law on Ontario's official page but did not see anything regarding what happens if I lose my job. Can I terminate the agreement if I can't afford it due to unemployment?

Thanks!
You can either pass lease to someone else provided your landlord agree to that, and if it is fixed term lease. Other option is to speak with your landlord about your difficulties and ask him to look for someone else to take over your lease.
Other than that, unemployment does not apply. However, if you fail to pay rent, your landlord will apply to evict you but it doesn't mean liability ends there if landlord choose to enforce recovery.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi everyone,

Thanks!
If you want to try and get out of your lease I would be honest with your landlord and either ask if subletting the apartment to someone else (you’ll find the tenant) would be an option. You may still be on the hook if the subletter damages the property or doesn’t pay. The other option is to ask go be out of your lease early. If that is possible you will still likely be on the hook for the period until a new tenant can move in. The landlord could also say no to letting you out of the lease and could take you to the landlord and tenant tribunal is you refuse to pay. It is important to consider potential job losses when renting a property and read the lease very carefully. I know I don’t allow subletting although I made one exception but I was able to screen all potential subletters until I found one I liked and the original renter was in the hook for any potential missed payments.

Reactions: Kaibigan

titanik

Aug 28, 2021
Toronto
Category........
CEC
AOR Received.
22-07-2023
Mine was just a concern as I just rented. I hope I won't experience that though.

Thank you all so much! I appreciate your prompt responses.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Another consideration is this: The L/L is in the business to make money. Not in the business of suing tenants. Most L/Ls are practical types. If they see you are in a jam and not likely able to pay, there is little utility to seeking to hold you to the strict terms of a lease by which you can no longer abide.

How flexible the L/L is likely to be will be influenced by such things as how easy/difficult will it be to find a new tenant. If in a high demand area, with rising rents, the L/L might be readily agreeable to let you walk. Also, you can ask for some long or short-term rent relief. Not likely to be given if the L/L can rent for more to someone else.

Re-letting brings up another issue. Yes, if you are 2 months into a 12-month lease, strictly speaking you are liable for another 10 months of rent. But, if you pack up and leave, the L/L has a duty to mitigate damages. The L/L cannot sit back and do nothing, letting the clock run on your dime. The L/L must move with dispatch to find a new tenant at an economic rent and you will be liable only for the difference between what you would have paid over the lease term and what the L/L actually receives over the lease term after taking steps in mitigation.

And then, being practical, you are airing this question on an immigration site. Maybe you'll be returning to another country. I know of no L/L who would be willing to pursue an international litigation extravaganza to collect some unpaid rent.

At the end of the day, you might suffer no loss, although you might just blow your security deposit.
There are no security deposit allowed in Ontario, not sure about other provinces. Renting a place and having people move in and out is a bigger pain than you are indicating. Most landlords want to limit the turnover in their rental properties as much as possible. There is a lot of availability in many rental markets due to covid so finding another good tenant may not be that easy. September start for a lease is also in huge demand compared to months like October and November. Many people try to avoid moving during the winter especially January 1st. The landlord will need time to get the apartment ready for a new tenant so you would be responsible for the time period between when you leave and when a tenant can move in after any cleaning or repairs have been done. Yes most landlords are practical but they often want to be picky about who they rent to and aren’t in a rush to rent if they know you will be responsible for the rent. In this scenario a landlord may rethink what type of proof of income and savings they require. We can only speculate given we haven’t seen your lease and it will also come down to your landlord.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Well, forgive me, for my egregious error in referring to a security deposit. If I am not mistaken ( and I am sure you'll correct me if I am), a "rent deposit" is permitted in Ontario. From what I have heard (and perhaps inaccurate) is that it's common for landlords to ask for and tenants to agree to it being held as security for the last month's rent. If that be so, and the L/L holds one, then call it what you will, but I see it being at risk. If that is not the case, then the L/L in this case holds nothing, is in a very weak position, and better not be too relaxed about getting the place producing rent, and quick.

I'll grant, I was a tenant in Ontario in my law school days, then I departed the province. My experience as a landlord is largely confined to rental properties in Vancouver and Los Angeles; in both cases for decades, so I have some understanding of the business, its exigencies and realties.

Yes, I am aware it might not be easy to find another good tenant. I do not believe my language was couched in absolutes. That is why I addressed some of the variables that might influence the L/L's thinking.

You mention getting the place ready for a new tenant. As I read the OP, the lease is just beginning. Not a whole lot of time for wear and tear. The place should be available to re-let with little fuss. And here, I was suggesting negotiating with the L/L. The two might agree to the tnt remaining in situ while looking for a new tnt. All kinds of possibilities come to mind.

I am not sure I can agree with your notion that L/Ls "aren’t in a rush to rent if they know you will be responsible for the rent". As I said above, the law expects reasonable steps to mitigate. The law might not expect "in a rush", but reasonable diligence will be a requirement. And, when you talk about the L/L basking in the comfort of knowing the departed tnt is responsible for the rent, that's where any deposit that might be applied comes in. If there is none, or if it has been exhausted, what comfort does the L/L really have? The comfort of knowing they must pursue a remedy at law, with all the headache that entails? As you have advised, security deposits in Ontario are forbidden, so our landlord here might do well to be in a rush, albeit tempered with sound business practice.

How many times have you taken judgment against a tnt, then gone out and enforced it? I never have. But then, I have never had a defaulting tenant either. In June 2020, I had one tnt in LA tell me he had lost much of his income due to C-19. He asked to be let out of his lease, since he said he could no longer afford $4,500/mo. I advertised and showed the place while he was still there. I got a new tnt at $4,800 a month. I let him go and was happy to hand back all of his $4,500 security deposit. Win-win. I did not lose one day of rent. I could have played hardball. I could have told him he had 8 months left on his lease and suck it up. What then? He'd probably have pulled the pin after not paying rent at all for a few months (LA was under a C-19 eviction moratorium, only just now ending). He could then have left and left damage behind out of spite. If I was out a few months rent, plus some repair costs, what chance would I have of collecting, say, $15,000 from him? Better to accommodate him, move on and avoid avoidable losses.
@titanik I am not sure what you have read about leases in Ontario. I have included some basics at the end of the post.

First and last months rent no security deposit. There is a huge amount of rental stock in the GTA at the moment. I haven’t seen this level of availability for 20+ years. Finding a good tenant at the same rental rate (or more) may take some time and no landlord wants to end up in the same situation so I can only imagine that the landlord will want to ensure that the next tenant has more of a savings cushion so there is no need to go through the process of renting the home again for over a year. September and May are the most popular months for moving into rentals and most people try to avoid moving in the winter months. There is also the issue of covid and showing the apartment. There are lots of protocols these days when it comes to showing real estate. A good cleaning is also expected between tenants. Even if someone has just moved in they may have put holes in the wall, they use the appliances, tenants have a tendency of leaving random items of garbage behind, etc. Not arguing that anyone wants to go to the landlord and tenant board or pursue repayment but most landlords are also not willing to accept a tenant because they are the only one interested in the property because trying to deal with problem tenants is a minor nightmare and evicting someone is a very long process. The good news is that OP still has a job but this would be a good time for them to read through their lease and also create an emergency fund so if they do lose their job the have a financial cushion to pay expenses while they find another job. In other countries it is fairly easy to leave a rental home without any notice but in Ontario you must give 60 days notice unless otherwise specified. Even if your lease is for 1 year you must give the 60 days notice if you plan on moving at the end of the lease. Your 1 year lease will automatically go to month to month after the 1st year if you don’t sign another longterm lease. Although your lease is month to month you still need to give 60 days notice(otherwise known as two months notice).