+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I babysit if I have open work permit with a condition "Can't work in childcare, elementary school, healthcare etc."

Pilkela

Sep 10, 2019
I have Open Work permit and have tried to find work in our area but with covid, good positions and childcare for our two young children is hard to find. I have few friends who would need babysitters for the summer. I am wondering if I could babysit their children even though my work permit has a condition that I can't work in childcare? In this context I am assuming childcare means registered centers etc. who run background checks, but again I might be wrong. Can't seem to find any clear info on this.

I never intended to be a babysitter but covid has slowed downs things enormously when it comes to employment in our area. I would love to do something to support my family over the summer, but do not want to cross any lines with IRCC. Wanted to ask here first before calling them.

Thanks.
-P

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I have Open Work permit and have tried to find work in our area but with covid, good positions and childcare for our two young children is hard to find. I have few friends who would need babysitters for the summer. I am wondering if I could babysit their children even though my work permit has a condition that I can't work in childcare? In this context I am assuming childcare means registered centers etc. who run background checks, but again I might be wrong. Can't seem to find any clear info on this.

I never intended to be a babysitter but covid has slowed downs things enormously when it comes to employment in our area. I would love to do something to support my family over the summer, but do not want to cross any lines with IRCC. Wanted to ask here first before calling them.

Thanks.
-P
Childcare is any childcare.

You need to get this restriction removed from your work permit. You can do this by getting a medical done and then submitting a request to have your work permit modified / updated to remove this condition.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Thanks.
-P
See instructions below. Look for the "you are already in Canada" part. Hope this helps. Get this done as soon as you can.

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=844&top=4

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
How many kids are you hoping to look after including your own? What are the ages. Make sure you have really good insurance for liability, which can be an extension of your home insurance policy.

Pilkela

Sep 10, 2019
Thanks all. Yes, I assume it is unlicensed daycare, even if only for few months. Although we would spend most of the time out in the playground, not in the house. But anyhow I am pretty sure it is considered working in "childcare", therefore I am not eligible to do that with my current permit. I am in Newfoundland, I will check out the regulations. I have my medicals done and I guess I could do the process for changing the conditions but my understanding is that it can take months to processed, especially now with covid.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks all. Yes, I assume it is unlicensed daycare, even if only for few months. Although we would spend most of the time out in the playground, not in the house. But anyhow I am pretty sure it is considered working in "childcare", therefore I am not eligible to do that with my current permit. I am in Newfoundland, I will check out the regulations. I have my medicals done and I guess I could do the process for changing the conditions but my understanding is that it can take months to processed, especially now with covid.
Yes - it can take several months for the work permit to be updated. Apply now if this is something you want to pursue.

AmyL

Star Member
Mar 3, 2020
Why would they give that exception? That seems a bit strange to me. I am just curious.