+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I apply on the basis of my old job (NOC)?

sfahadali

Star Member
Jan 31, 2013
Hi,

I have couple of queries regarding my profile for Express Entry Program.

I am planning to submit my profile for Express Entry but want some clarifications beforehand.

A brief background: I have done bachelors (BS, four-year degree) in Actuarial Sciences & Risk Management and worked in Risk Management & Compliance department of a mutual fund company for 4 years. Later I quit my job and completed my MBA. After graduating I started working for an FMCG in Marketing & Sales department. Working there for the last 6 months.

So I have 4 years of Risk Management (2011-2015) and approx. 6 months of Marketing & Sales experience (2016-2017) respectively.

1. I started my MBA as an Evening Student because I was employed and can only take classes on weekends. Down the road I quit my job and registered as a regular student and graduated in 2016 as a full-time student.

Will they consider my experience during MBA? A friend of mine applied for Australian immigration and his post- graduate experience was considered only.

2. My another concern here is, can I apply on the basis of my previous experience i.e. Risk Management? I will be applying for respective NOC related to Risk Management (still confused between 0111 & 4162). Because I don’t have much Marketing & Sales experience but on the other hand I have handful of Risk Management experience which can make my profile reasonable.

I will be applying in 2017 (most probably) and left Risk Management profession back in 2015. Will it be considered after around 2 years of gap?

I want to clarify that I am not aiming for Risk Management related jobs anymore. So Job Bank option won’t work in my case even if they offer me one. As of now, I have switched industry so I will be searching Marketing/ Sales related jobs.

3. Your views on whether is it a good option to apply even if I don’t want to pursue a career in Risk? Due to lack of experience in other field I am left with this only.

Guys need your help. Thanks in advance.

Fahad

vishalg

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2015
NOC Code......
sfahadali said:
Hi,

I have couple of queries regarding my profile for Express Entry Program.

I am planning to submit my profile for Express Entry but want some clarifications beforehand.

A brief background: I have done bachelors (BS, four-year degree) in Actuarial Sciences & Risk Management and worked in Risk Management & Compliance department of a mutual fund company for 4 years. Later I quit my job and completed my MBA. After graduating I started working for an FMCG in Marketing & Sales department. Working there for the last 6 months.

So I have 4 years of Risk Management (2011-2015) and approx. 6 months of Marketing & Sales experience (2016-2017) respectively.

1. I started my MBA as an Evening Student because I was employed and can only take classes on weekends. Down the road I quit my job and registered as a regular student and graduated in 2016 as a full-time student.

Will they consider my experience during MBA? A friend of mine applied for Australian immigration and his post- graduate experience was considered only.

Australian immigration also evaluated your work experience and tags it along with your education unlike Canada. You can claim part time work experience if you satisfy the information given in the following link
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=393&top=29

2. My another concern here is, can I apply on the basis of my previous experience i.e. Risk Management? I will be applying for respective NOC related to Risk Management (still confused between 0111 & 4162). Because I don’t have much Marketing & Sales experience but on the other hand I have handful of Risk Management experience which can make my profile reasonable.

I will be applying in 2017 (most probably) and left Risk Management profession back in 2015. Will it be considered after around 2 years of gap?
Yes, you can make your risk management NOC as your primary NOC
I want to clarify that I am not aiming for Risk Management related jobs anymore. So Job Bank option won’t work in my case even if they offer me one. As of now, I have switched industry so I will be searching Marketing/ Sales related jobs.
Jobs and immigration are two different perspectives, once you receive PR you are free to take up employment of your choice, provided the employers are convinced and satisfied and ready to onboard you

3. Your views on whether is it a good option to apply even if I don’t want to pursue a career in Risk? Due to lack of experience in other field I am left with this only.

Both options are good, depends on how well you are able to convince your potential employers.
Good luck for your future.

Guys need your help. Thanks in advance.

Fahad
Also, if you need any further help, forum is full of seniors and experts who will be able to help you out through the process.
Cheers!

sfahadali

Star Member
Jan 31, 2013
Thanks a lot vishalg. :)

Yeah i posted this to get views from people with different experiences.

farazafzal

Aug 20, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
To answer the subject of your post, yes you can.

For other questions read vishalg's comments.

sfahadali

Star Member
Jan 31, 2013
Thanks farazafzal.

Well, can you guys help me where to find people with NOC similar to mine?

:)

vishalg

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2015
NOC Code......
sfahadali said:
Thanks farazafzal.

Well, can you guys help me where to find people with NOC similar to mine?

:)
for that you have to start a new thread​ (or raise this in popular threads with more views and responses)with NOC code as the subject and find out who all are from the same NOC code.
To figure out your NOC code, try to match your work. Experience with the duties mentioned against NOC code ( don't just assume your NOC code based on designation/job title)

sfahadali

Star Member
Jan 31, 2013
Based on the title i think my NOC would be 0111 or 4162, well that's assuming ;D

I found few of my job roles in both of these NOCs respectively. So I am confuse between these two.

starting a new topic would be appropriate I guess.