+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

can I apply for work permit if I'm in a visitor visa

Dec 1, 2008
Hi everyone
i am just wondering if i can apply for a work permit in Canada while i am in visitor visa, i mean could i change my visa to work if i get a work permit
i am an experienced instrument and control engineer and i am confidence that i can get an offer for job if i am in Canada, it is so hard to find an offer for work from outside Canada as most employers will not call you for interview if you are not in the country
any answer will be highly appreciated

scaryclare

Star Member
Jun 20, 2012
You have to apply to an office outside Canada if you are in Canada on a visitor visa, or if you do not require a multi entry visa and you get an LMO and job offer you can go the the border and get one there.

Buleg

Mar 4, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CEM
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-07-2013
Nomination.....
30-05-2013 LOA dated 10-05-2013
AOR Received.
16-10-2013 thru email
IELTS Request
Already submitted
File Transfer...
11-09-13
Med's Request
21-11-13
Med's Done....
27-11-13 results submitted//add'l med req 01-13-2014 submitted 1-30-14
Interview........
Ecas "in process 2-18-2014"
Passport Req..
08-04-2014 (Apr. 27, '14 ecas changed to decision made)
LANDED..........
22-03-2014 entered as TFW under YNP/May,22,'14 Landed as Immigrant
canadainmyheart said:
Hi everyone
i am just wondering if i can apply for a work permit in Canada while i am in visitor visa, i mean could i change my visa to work if i get a work permit
i am an experienced instrument and control engineer and i am confidence that i can get an offer for job if i am in Canada, it is so hard to find an offer for work from outside Canada as most employers will not call you for interview if you are not in the country
any answer will be highly appreciated
Hi,

No, you should apply work permit outside Canada. If you're from visa exempt country you can apply at the boarder. :)

out

Jun 23, 2012
to buleg and scaryclare thanks for the input...

and now comes more questions derived from a topic...

being a holder of visitor visa in canada and then found an employer in canada ready to sponsor for an lmo here are for some quest...

1. is it possible to process papers not necessarily in your home country but a cross boarder like u.s. or other countries not your own provided you are not an illegal alien there; yes or no?

2. if processing outside canada to a country not your own, where do you do your medical examination; do they also recommend accredited clinics in the country where you are?

3. if you are just a visitor in a country do the cic have a required number of month stay before they will consider your application or immaterial if you have just landed not in your soil and then process begins at instantly?

4. does it not conflict and becomes questionable that when you applied for a visitor is to visit. then later by just exiting and going outside canada to a country not your own here you are all of a sudden you apply for a work; do the vo officers are keen on this for denial of wp?

great men and women of canada visa forum your input will mean a lot to our dear readers who still gasping for more strength to dream and aspire...

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
To out:

1. Yes. This website http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/offices/apply-where.asp says:
Applicants for Temporary Resident Visas, Study Permits and Work Permits
You must select the visa office that serves your country of residence, your country of nationality or the country where you have been legally admitted.

You must apply at least 30 days before your status expires(according to the guide) and you need a LMO. Application package here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/work.asp .Those residing in Canada send their application to either New York or Los Angeles visa office. There may be an interview, so you would want to be sure that you have a US visa or are able to get one if that happens.

2. You would go to any DMP where you live in Canada - the results are reported to Ottawa and the visa office has access to the database. To save time, do the medical in advance and include a copy of the receipt with your application.

3. Never heard of that. If you eligible for what you apply for, they will process the application.

4. There is no guarantee and as always, you have to satisfy the officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your authorized stay.

Dec 1, 2008
Hi All Guys
Thanks lots for the replies , so it is obvious that if i get a visitor visa and get an offer for work wile i am there , i can apply for work visa, i have a friend in Canada who is trying to find a job for me and if it does not work ,i will try to apply for visitor visa
my question how long the visitor visa will be, i mean the best one so that i can secure a job there
i am in UK right now but not British citizen
Thanks again to u guys

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
It's hard to say... usually visitor visas are granted for 6 months BUT, the immigration officer at the port of entry, may decide to reduce it. You should have adequate funds too. As a heads up, the border agent will likely call your friend(high possibility) so you guys should expect it and be prepared. ;D

canadainmyheart said:
Hi All Guys
Thanks lots for the replies , so it is obvious that if i get a visitor visa and get an offer for work wile i am there , i can apply for work visa, i have a friend in Canada who is trying to find a job for me and if it does not work ,i will try to apply for visitor visa
my question how long the visitor visa will be, i mean the best one so that i can secure a job there
i am in UK right now but not British citizen
Thanks again to u guys

Dec 1, 2008
Thanks for the reply, yes we should be prepared , it's a bit confused, i do not know what to do, i applied for immigration but unfortunately my application was refused , so you think this will have an effect on any type of visa i apply for.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
If you don't mind me asking, under which class did you apply? What was the reason for refusal?

canadainmyheart said:
Thanks for the reply, yes we should be prepared , it's a bit confused, i do not know what to do, i applied for immigration but unfortunately my application was refused , so you think this will have an effect on any type of visa i apply for.

Dec 1, 2008
HI
Sorry for the delay in answering you due to the time difference. I applied in 2008 under skilled workers category , i applied on 25/11/2005 and the rules were changed in February 2008( 38 most wanted jobs were released on November 2008), unluckily my job as an Instrument and control Engineer was not among the most wanted jobs in Canada , therefore the application was refused for that.
I was so disappointing for that and i feel so sad for it and i blame myself that i did not do enough , i am not sure if i should have blamed and remorse my self...

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately, they've suspended the skilled worker program till January 2013, except for those with an AEO(arrange employment opinion) and PhD students in Canada.

It will seem being able to get to Canada is next best thing and then you can actively look for work. It's hard to say whether or not your prior immigration application will have an effect on your visitor visa, but you have to try to find out. Hope it work out well.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
I came across this today: http://ca.news.yahoo.com/alberta-labour-group-slams-fast-tracking-foreign-workers-201228053.html

You may want to look into it and see if you would qualify.