+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I apply for work-permit and submit my PR application in parallel?

kanada07

Jul 23, 2018
That's not true. There is something called "Dual intent". You should google it. CIC is perfectly okay with applying for PR while your wp is also in process.

Hi, I have applied to OINP and I am yet to recieve nomination. PR process will probably take six more months. Besides, my company is ready to apply for work permit to Canada. In one of the work permit forms, they ask
1. UCI
2. "Have you previously applied to enter or remain in Canada? Please provide details."

So, UCI is created when we create Express Entry profile which I do have.
So, do i have to enter my Express entry details in answer to the second question?

I am asking this because I don't want my PR application and Work permit application to be hampered.

kanada07

Jul 23, 2018
Hi, I have applied to OINP and I am yet to recieve nomination. PR process will probably take six more months. Besides, my company is ready to apply for work permit to Canada. In one of the work permit forms, they ask
1. UCI
2. "Have you previously applied to enter or remain in Canada? Please provide details."

So, do i have to enter my Express entry details in answer to the second question?

I am asking this because I don't want my PR application and Work permit application to be hampered if I apply for both of those. Will it be fine if i enter my Express entry info in the work permit form, IMM 1295?

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
1. UCI

I am asking this because I don't want my PR application and Work permit application to be hampered if I apply for both of those. Will it be fine if i enter my Express entry info in the work permit form, IMM 1295?

My apologies, i am not accessing the forum as frequently as i used to in the past.

1. You only receive a UCI once CIC has received an application of some sort and have created a case file for that.
Creating an express entry profile alone does not result in that, unless you have previously applied for a visit visa, work or study permit. So you likely do not have a UCI.

2. You have not clearly stated what is your current status and if you are in Canada already. As far as i remember, eligibility of OINP means you must have been in Canada on study permit or something. If that is true, that you definitely have a UCI (look at any official CIC communication, your work or study permit or some email that CIC sent you when it was approved).
It always says UCI#.... of the following formats
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=013&top=4

Again if above is true then you have to provide the same UCI for #1.

But if not, and you have somehow applied for Ontario PNP without ever having applied for a study / work permit or visit visa to Canada, then your answer would be no.

For further clarity "previously applied" means having submitted an application to CIC (not Ontario or other PNPs) even if it was a visit visa application that might have been refused. PNP apps are submitted to provincial government where as CIC is federal. Even PNP is two stage process in which once PNP is approved then you apply to CIC.

Hope that helps