+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I apply for work-permit and submit my PR application in parallel?

india_user25

Star Member
Jul 28, 2015
Hi,

I have got an ITR on Nov 27 and I am currently collecting my documents for filing the application.

The company in which I work here in India has an office in Canada as well and they have offered me to move to Canada on work permit.

Now, my question is can I apply for PR application while my work permit application will be in process. Is there any legal implication or impact of one application on the other.

Other option is that I can wait for Work Permit and apply for PR again from Canada. But there is a risk factor, of government changing rules and also all the paperwork have to be re-done. (Right now, my paperwork is almost complete).

P.S : I am applying for PR under FSW (CRS Score : 472)

Thanks in Advance.

ntwkengg

Champion Member
Jan 16, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
india_user25 said:
Hi,

I have got an ITR on Nov 27 and I am currently collecting my documents for filing the application.

The company in which I work here in India has an office in Canada as well and they have offered me to move to Canada on work permit.

Now, my question is can I apply for PR application while my work permit application will be in process. Is there any legal implication or impact of one application on the other.

Other option is that I can wait for Work Permit and apply for PR again from Canada. But there is a risk factor, of government changing rules and also all the paperwork have to be re-done. (Right now, my paperwork is almost complete).

P.S : I am applying for PR under FSW (CRS Score : 472)

Thanks in Advance.
with your crs 472 better you apply for PR. as work permit wont let you live permanently in canada. also you will be bound to that company : close work permit.

so tell them i want to continue work in india.

and then once you get ppr. come here on pr and then you can find a job in your field.

also you can apply parallel for work permit and pr but it shows different intent which may harm your work permit application.

pr application has no harm with the work permit under process.

take your decision wisely.

india_user25

Star Member
Jul 28, 2015
ntwkengg said:
with your crs 472 better you apply for PR. as work permit wont let you live permanently in canada. also you will be bound to that company : close work permit.

so tell them i want to continue work in india.

and then once you get ppr. come here on pr and then you can find a job in your field.

also you can apply parallel for work permit and pr but it shows different intent which may harm your work permit application.

pr application has no harm with the work permit under process.

take your decision wisely.
Thanks, Actually, I have been working with the same company for a long time and don't have plans to leave it. Moreover it will be difficult to search for a job in a new country.

My company can transfer me to Canada only on work permit and can apply for PR once I am in Canada.

I have only concerns whether PR app and Work Permit in parallel will cause any refusal.

ntwkengg

Champion Member
Jan 16, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
india_user25 said:
Thanks, Actually, I have been working with the same company for a long time and don't have plans to leave it. Moreover it will be difficult to search for a job in a new country.

My company can transfer me to Canada only on work permit and can apply for PR once I am in Canada.

I have only concerns whether PR app and Work Permit in parallel will cause any refusal.
i already told you pr app iwill be fine.

but work permit refusal chances are higher when you have parallel pr application as it shows different intention. bcz in work permit application you will write that you want to move temporary and in pr its permanent so it contradicts.

also if you were already in canada then there was no issue but you are coming from outside directly on work permit and with pr applied in parallel so there is a high chance of rejection.

better you get your pr and then ask your company to just transfer you to canada and just continue working with them.

as even if you will get your pr this company will never want you to settle in canada and eventually they will ask you tom comeback to india which you wont do after pr so this will be a problem.

so better you find a new job here after you come on pr

or better ask them to give you a job in canada once you get your pr

as even if you will come on their work permit they will pay you in drop of water instead of a bucket.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
ntwkengg said:

but work permit refusal chances are higher when you have parallel pr application as it shows different intention. bcz in work permit application you will write that you want to move temporary and in pr its permanent so it contradicts.

also if you were already in canada then there was no issue but you are coming from outside directly on work permit and with pr applied in parallel so there is a high chance of rejection.
That's not true. There is something called "Dual intent". You should google it. CIC is perfectly okay with applying for PR while your wp is also in process.

Both would be evaluated separately i.e. work permit doesn't get treated lightly because you eventually are planning to live there. But it is not biased as well.

CIC doesn't care whether you live permanently or not. They just care that IN THE EVENT YOU DO NOT GET LEGAL STATUS IN CANADA, would you still over stay illegally?

This factor is judged for all temp resident applications, whether or not they have a PR in process.

Please get your facts right. It could badly affect some body's decisions if they didn't get the correct info.

Good luck.

Update:

Also coming on work permit doesn't really affect salary any way (though its true that you would have other difficulties i.e. getting credit cards or switching jobs, will take 1.5 year to get child benefits etc.). If they are applying for intra company transfer with work permit, they cannot offer a salary lower than what they would offer to a Canadian with same profile for the same job. This is the law. It was a while ago when an EMPLOYER had such liberty - even then it varied max by 15% lower salaries, not more. And that has been abolished for almost two years now. If they put a lower salary, CIC would simply refuse the work permit application. This has been well documented that the criteria now is median wage for that profession / position in that province. It has to be the same as median wage or higher.

If it helps to know, this is coming from some one who has been through with all of this first hand - recruited out of a 3rd world country with LMIA based work permit and appropriate salary, lived here a while and applied for PR from here. This is in addition to countless other cases and details that i have seen.

liamE

Star Member
Jul 28, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24/07/2015
ntwkengg said:

better you get your pr and then ask your company to just transfer you to canada and just continue working with them.

as even if you will get your pr this company will never want you to settle in canada and eventually they will ask you tom comeback to india which you wont do after pr so this will be a problem.

so better you find a new job here after you come on pr

or better ask them to give you a job in canada once you get your pr

as even if you will come on their work permit they will pay you in drop of water instead of a bucket.

I have had a few tfw permits. They never asked anything about whether I had links back home or what my plans were. They are not going to reject his/her work permit application. Especially if they get an ITA. This person is EXACTLY who the canadian government WANTS to come to canada.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
liamE said:
I have had a few tfw permits. They never asked anything about whether I had links back home or what my plans were. They are not going to reject his/her work permit application. Especially if they get an ITA. This person is EXACTLY who the canadian government WANTS to come to canada.
That's correct. Though i would add that links back home thing is something dependent upon which country in particular one is coming from. It is specially concerning for CIC if it is a country that requires visa to enter Canada. However, "links" are often misunderstood by people. Generally they say having property, business, etc (which most people wouldn't have really in sizes that matter) is crucial.

However, the real thing is simply what i pointed out above, CIC wants to ensure that you don't stay in Canada illegally. A good measure is to see how well you were doing back home. If an applicant has a decent job with consistent earnings in home country, he is far less likely to over stay illegally.

india_user25

Star Member
Jul 28, 2015
fkl said:
That's correct. Though i would add that links back home thing is something dependent upon which country in particular one is coming from. It is specially concerning for CIC if it is a country that requires visa to enter Canada. However, "links" are often misunderstood by people. Generally they say having property, business, etc (which most people wouldn't have really in sizes that matter) is crucial.

However, the real thing is simply what i pointed out above, CIC wants to ensure that you don't stay in Canada illegally. A good measure is to see how well you were doing back home. If an applicant has a decent job with consistent earnings in home country, he is far less likely to over stay illegally.
Thanks a lot for your response !!

One more thing to add, I have successfully got temporary visa twice for Canada (Business visa and Visitor visa) and I have my sister already in Canada. So, I think, based on my successful return to my home country for earlier visa's might help in obtaining WP.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
india_user25 said:
Thanks a lot for your response !!

One more thing to add, I have successfully got temporary visa twice for Canada (Business visa and Visitor visa) and I have my sister already in Canada. So, I think, based on my successful return to my home country for earlier visa's might help in obtaining WP.
You are welcome. Yes it should count positively towards "Travel history". But it won't substitute your work profile. Attach your job / educational history, even pay stubs and bank statement. Those with a job offer are not required to show any funds. But bank statement showing their salaries being regularly transferred is a clear cut evidence of their "ties to home country".

A temporary visit for business or tourism though is considered different from moving here for living and work. So one might get a refusal even with good travel history if CIC is not satisfied with your past and current job prospects, earning potential or current job offer. But if those are okay, not having any travel isn't treated negatively either.

For instance working in a different position currently in home country than the intended role in Canada is often treated as a red flag. So is not being employed at the time of application or in the recent past.

Hope that helps.

india_user25

Star Member
Jul 28, 2015
fkl said:
You are welcome. Yes it should count positively towards "Travel history". But it won't substitute your work profile. Attach your job / educational history, even pay stubs and bank statement. Those with a job offer are not required to show any funds. But bank statement showing their salaries being regularly transferred is a clear cut evidence of their "ties to home country".

A temporary visit for business or tourism though is considered different from moving here for living and work. So one might get a refusal even with good travel history if CIC is not satisfied with your past and current job prospects, earning potential or current job offer. But if those are okay, not having any travel isn't treated negatively either.

For instance working in a different position currently in home country than the intended role in Canada is often treated as a red flag. So is not being employed at the time of application or in the recent past.

Hope that helps.
Actually, I have worked only for a single company for 6 years and now the same company has offered me a relocation to Canada office on the same job role/profile but through WP. They don't have any problem with me applying for PR, but there is no company policy to transfer some one (Intra Office Transfer) on PR application, so they will be applying my WP to initiate transfer to Canada.

Now, as per my company, I can defer my PR application submission till I get my WP, if this will cause any problem in obtaining WP.

So, apart from submission of my job experience, education and funds, I am not sure, if there is anything that I can add to show my links with home country.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
india_user25 said:
Actually, I have worked only for a single company for 6 years and now the same company has offered me a relocation to Canada office on the same job role/profile but through WP. They don't have any problem with me applying for PR, but there is no company policy to transfer some one (Intra Office Transfer) on PR application, so they will be applying my WP to initiate transfer to Canada.

Now, as per my company, I can defer my PR application submission till I get my WP, if this will cause any problem in obtaining WP.

So, apart from submission of my job experience, education and funds, I am not sure, if there is anything that I can add to show my links with home country.
I don't think you really need any thing else. And i don't believe applying for both together makes any difference at all. As a matter of fact seeing the current processing timelines for PR vs WP, specially those which are outland FSW specially from India (if that is your VO), it is very likely that you might get PR before WP if you apply at the same time, which is the best thing that can happen for you.

So if i were you, i would submit both applications as soon as possible, preferably PR first assuming you could score enough points for ITA.

BineeshCM

Apr 23, 2019
That's not true. There is something called "Dual intent". You should google it. CIC is perfectly okay with applying for PR while your wp is also in process.

Both would be evaluated separately i.e. work permit doesn't get treated lightly because you eventually are planning to live there. But it is not biased as well.

CIC doesn't care whether you live permanently or not. They just care that IN THE EVENT YOU DO NOT GET LEGAL STATUS IN CANADA, would you still over stay illegally?

This factor is judged for all temp resident applications, whether or not they have a PR in process.

Please get your facts right. It could badly affect some body's decisions if they didn't get the correct info.

Good luck.

Update:

Also coming on work permit doesn't really affect salary any way (though its true that you would have other difficulties i.e. getting credit cards or switching jobs, will take 1.5 year to get child benefits etc.). If they are applying for intra company transfer with work permit, they cannot offer a salary lower than what they would offer to a Canadian with same profile for the same job. This is the law. It was a while ago when an EMPLOYER had such liberty - even then it varied max by 15% lower salaries, not more. And that has been abolished for almost two years now. If they put a lower salary, CIC would simply refuse the work permit application. This has been well documented that the criteria now is median wage for that profession / position in that province. It has to be the same as median wage or higher.

If it helps to know, this is coming from some one who has been through with all of this first hand - recruited out of a 3rd world country with LMIA based work permit and appropriate salary, lived here a while and applied for PR from here. This is in addition to countless other cases and details that i have seen.
Sir,
My PR application is in post MEP stage , and my wife' s employer is applying for an ICT visa for her , she is the secondary applicant in the PR profile. Being in PR processing can cause any refusal for her ICT visa , she got LMIA exempt number and all the other required documents?Kindly reply

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Sir,
My PR application is in post MEP stage , and my wife' s employer is applying for an ICT visa for her , she is the secondary applicant in the PR profile. Being in PR processing can cause any refusal for her ICT visa , she got LMIA exempt number and all the other required documents?Kindly reply
Having a PR in process has no bearing on an ICT visa application.