+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I apply for TRV for my husband while Outland Spousal Application is ongoing

inapickle

Feb 18, 2020
Hi Everyone,

Does anybody know if applying for a tourist visa while an outland sponsorship is being processed affect the processing of the outland spousal application?

I am 6 months pregnant and I am hoping to have my husband be in Canada for the birth of our child, but we have not seen any movement of our spousal application since the COVID situation started (which is understandable). I don't think we'll get an outcome by the time i give birth so I am hoping he can get a tourist visa in the meantime instead. I am concerned though that it will have a negative effect on our spousal application. Also, if I explain in my Letter of Invitation what the circumstance is (the imminent birth of our child) does he still need proof that he has a job that he is going to go back to? Will he need proof of funds as well?

Any help/insight regarding this will greatly be appreciated :)

Thanks in advance!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi Everyone,

Does anybody know if applying for a tourist visa while an outland sponsorship is being processed affect the processing of the outland spousal application?

I am 6 months pregnant and I am hoping to have my husband be in Canada for the birth of our child, but we have not seen any movement of our spousal application since the COVID situation started (which is understandable). I don't think we'll get an outcome by the time i give birth so I am hoping he can get a tourist visa in the meantime instead. I am concerned though that it will have a negative effect on our spousal application. Also, if I explain in my Letter of Invitation what the circumstance is (the imminent birth of our child) does he still need proof that he has a job that he is going to go back to? Will he need proof of funds as well?

Any help/insight regarding this will greatly be appreciated :)

Thanks in advance!
It won't have any negative impact. He can certainly apply for the TRV. Yes, he would still want to show proof of ties (property, job) and will need to show proof of finds.

inapickle

Feb 18, 2020
It won't have any negative impact. He can certainly apply for the TRV. Yes, he would still want to show proof of ties (property, job) and will need to show proof of finds.
Thank you for your response! Can he provide a LOE explaining that he is unemployed right now due to the COVID situation? Do we still have a chance of him getting approved if he is unable to show proof of employment? If he mentions in his LOE that we have an ongoing spousal application and he will only be in Canada for the birth of our daughter will that be sufficient?

thevisawhisperer

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2020
West Coast
Has your spousal sponsorship been approved? In my experience IRCC is much more likely to give a TRV to a spousal applicant whose application has reached first stage (sponsorship) approval. And when you add the birth of your child to your submission, it makes it even more compelling.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
There is no need to consult a lawyer. Having a child actually creates more ties to Canada a lessens the chances of a spouse returning to their home country. All you can do is hope for the best but plan for your husband having to wait to get PR.

thevisawhisperer

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2020
West Coast
Family reunification is a pillar of Canadian immigration. The fact that you are having a child together strengthens your application. I have found through experience that IRCC tends to stop fighting the inevitable and allows spouses with an application in process to join their family in Canada. What have you got to lose? Make sure your intentions are clear. What monster would deny you the right to have your husband with you. Are you supposed to have a child all alone in a still strange country? Is that what the Canadian government immigration policy stands for?

inapickle

Feb 18, 2020
Has your spousal sponsorship been approved? In my experience IRCC is much more likely to give a TRV to a spousal applicant whose application has reached first stage (sponsorship) approval. And when you add the birth of your child to your submission, it makes it even more compelling.
Our spousal application has been approved. We are now in the process of waiting for my husband's permanent residence to be approved. He already finished his biometrics and medical. Should I just include a screenshot where it said that that our spousal application has been approved?

inapickle

Feb 18, 2020
Family reunification is a pillar of Canadian immigration. The fact that you are having a child together strengthens your application. I have found through experience that IRCC tends to stop fighting the inevitable and allows spouses with an application in process to join their family in Canada. What have you got to lose? Make sure your intentions are clear. What monster would deny you the right to have your husband with you. Are you supposed to have a child all alone in a still strange country? Is that what the Canadian government immigration policy stands for?
This is true. I really hope you are right and they let him come here even just with TRV while we are waiting for the outcome of our PR. Thank you so much for somewhat putting my mind at ease!

inapickle

Feb 18, 2020
there is no harm in adding screenshot.... as much evidence you can add in order to strengthen your application.
Thank you. You're right we'll add the screenshot and the application number. Its better to have more evidence than less.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It a very common request and almost all TRVs are denied. Family reunification is a pillar of Canadian immigration and that’s why sponsoring a spouse is relatively easy. A TRV is for a temporary visitor and CIC usually feels that the pull to stay in Canada if the TRV is granted is big just for a spouse but it would be even harder to return home after a new baby is born. That is why most TRVs to attend a birth are denied. Many people are under the false impression that pregnancy speeds up application or a father wouldn’t be denied but it happens all the time. Spouses need to plan for a minimum of 12 months of separation when planning a pregnancy. For other countries 1.5-2 years is the norm. When did you apply for your spouses sponsorship? Covid has of course delayed things. Once in a while CIC surprises us so it never hurts to apply but you should also be preparing a plan B if your husband is not in Canada for the birth.

inapickle

Feb 18, 2020
It a very common request and almost all TRVs are denied. Family reunification is a pillar of Canadian immigration and that’s why sponsoring a spouse is relatively easy. A TRV is for a temporary visitor and CIC usually feels that the pull to stay in Canada if the TRV is granted is big just for a spouse but it would be even harder to return home after a new baby is born. That is why most TRVs to attend a birth are denied. Many people are under the false impression that pregnancy speeds up application or a father wouldn’t be denied but it happens all the time. Spouses need to plan for a minimum of 12 months of separation when planning a pregnancy. For other countries 1.5-2 years is the norm. When did you apply for your spouses sponsorship? Covid has of course delayed things. Once in a while CIC surprises us so it never hurts to apply but you should also be preparing a plan B if your husband is not in Canada for the birth.
Yeah I figured as much too. People around me have been saying it's very likely my husband's TRV application will be denied but we have to try anyway right.

We submitted August 2019. Before covid, we were at the stage where my husband already did his medical and biometrics. If I send a letter via webform to request for an update and advise them I am 7 months pregnant do you think it's likely they will expedite my husband's PR application?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yeah I figured as much too. People around me have been saying it's very likely my husband's TRV application will be denied but we have to try anyway right.

We submitted August 2019. Before covid, we were at the stage where my husband already did his medical and biometrics. If I send a letter via webform to request for an update and advise them I am 7 months pregnant do you think it's likely they will expedite my husband's PR application?
Zero chance they will expedite it.

thevisawhisperer

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2020
West Coast
I don't want to engage in a prolonged debate over something over which neither of us has any real control. I have never have a TRV application refused if submitted after the spousal sponsorship was approved. Perhaps I personally account for all of those rare approvals, but I don't think so.