+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I apply for study permit/temp visa from US without legal status ?

Aug 20, 2019
I was brought to the US @ 5 by family and “ over stayed “ my visa at 12 obviously I didn’t know what I was doing or anything about that stuff but no laws protect me so I’m currently stuck. My home country is no good I have no family there, don’t know the country at all & it’s really dangerous there. Is there any way I can apply to go to Canada without leaving the US ?

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
Are you ineligible for DACA?

Canada doesn't necessarily care about your lack of status in the US, but they do prefer people apply from their home country as you would need to convince them you'd return there after your visa expired; obviously you wouldn't be able to re-enter the US without some form of advance parole.

Getting a work permit would be difficult as an employer would have to prove no Canadians could do the job before sponsoring you. Studying is easier but costs money, albeit not as much as in America. You might want to consider two-year colleges in Ontario. You can work part-time as a student and potentially full-time after graduation in order to qualify for permanent residence.

For information on your options, visit cic.gc.ca and educanada.ca.

Aug 20, 2019
Are you ineligible for DACA?

Canada doesn't necessarily care about your lack of status in the US, but they do prefer people apply from their home country as you would need to convince them you'd return there after your visa expired; obviously you wouldn't be able to re-enter the US without some form of advance parole.

Getting a work permit would be difficult as an employer would have to prove no Canadians could do the job before sponsoring you. Studying is easier but costs money, albeit not as much as in America. You might want to consider two-year colleges in Ontario. You can work part-time as a student and potentially full-time after graduation in order to qualify for permanent residence.

For information on your options, visit cic.gc.ca and educanada.ca.
yes I missed the qualification date for DACA by two months so unfortunately I cant get that. Someone once said I would need a police report & that’s why I can’t do it from the US. I just really don’t want any more immigration problems & im trying to do it as clean as possible. Thank you for the information

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
yes I missed the qualification date for DACA by two months so unfortunately I cant get that. Someone once said I would need a police report & that’s why I can’t do it from the US. I just really don’t want any more immigration problems & im trying to do it as clean as possible. Thank you for the information
That's probably not an issue. All you might have to do is get your fingerprints taken, which can be done at select post offices or at any number of private businesses which offer it as a service if you want to avoid police stations. Then you fill out a simple form and send everything to an FBI processing centre in West Virginia, which doesn't enforce immigration laws. They don't require a social security number or anything like that, just your name and date of birth.

Reactions: Elleelleelleelle
Aug 20, 2019
That's probably not an issue. All you might have to do is get your fingerprints taken, which can be done at select post offices or at any number of private businesses which offer it as a service if you want to avoid police stations. Then you fill out a simple form and send everything to an FBI processing centre in West Virginia, which doesn't enforce immigration laws. They don't require a social security number or anything like that, just your name and date of birth.
thank you so much, best news I’ve gotten in months on the topic. Thank you

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I was brought to the US @ 5 by family and “ over stayed “ my visa at 12 obviously I didn’t know what I was doing or anything about that stuff but no laws protect me so I’m currently stuck. My home country is no good I have no family there, don’t know the country at all & it’s really dangerous there. Is there any way I can apply to go to Canada without leaving the US ?
Unfortunately there's really no chance you will be approved for any temporary visa to Canada without status in the U.S. This includes a visitor visa, work permit and study permit. You should assume all of these options are out and you won't be approved.

You can, however, successfully apply to immigrate to Canada through an economic immigration program like Express Entry (assuming you qualify and are selected). As long as you fully declare your immigration history in the U.S., it won't be a problem and you can absolutely be approved.

In short, forget about any temporary visa. Focus on qualifying and applying to immigrate.

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
Unfortunately there's really no chance you will be approved for any temporary visa to Canada without status in the U.S. This includes a visitor visa, work permit and study permit. You should assume all of these options are out and you won't be approved.

You can, however, successfully apply to immigrate to Canada through an economic immigration program like Express Entry (assuming you qualify and are selected). As long as you fully declare your immigration history in the U.S., it won't be a problem and you can absolutely be approved.

In short, forget about any temporary visa. Focus on qualifying and applying to immigrate.
Well, generally it's an issue but in the case of undocumented Americans there's been some anecdotal reporting to the contrary. It would certainly be quite difficult for OP but I don't want to tell anyone to "forget" about it either.

Aug 20, 2019

I’m only 19 about to be 20 in a couple months. The qualifications for express entry are no where near what I have currently. I would have to go to school for many more years or work at a job to gain experience ( which I can’t bc of my situation here ) I was trying to find any option. Waiting in this country..... isn’t ideal they’re throwing people in cages & gassing them here. If my chances for the study visa are even 2% I’ll take it. A slim chance is better than no chance. Thank you for the information

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I’m only 19 about to be 20 in a couple months. The qualifications for express entry are no where near what I have currently. I would have to go to school for many more years or work at a job to gain experience ( which I can’t bc of my situation here ) I was trying to find any option. Waiting in this country..... isn’t ideal they’re throwing people in cages & gassing them here. If my chances for the study visa are even 2% I’ll take it. A slim chance is better than no chance. Thank you for the information
No harm in trying in that case.

You'll need to show that you have sufficient funds to cover first year tuition + $10K in living expenses when you apply for the study permit. Generally this means you want to show a bank balance of at least $25,000. You're probably a bit late for the September semester - but maybe still can get in if you focus on colleges vs. universities. Otherwise aim for the January intake. Stay away from all private colleges and universities. They have a bad reputation, offer a poor level of educatio and often you don't qualiy for a work permit once you complete your studies.

You'll want to include a letter to explain why you are pursuing studies in Canada - especially given your status in the U.S. Suggest you read through the posts in the International Students section of the forum for examples of LOEs.

One piece of bad news (although you may not care), is that you'll be automatically banned from the U.S. for 10 years as soon as you leave. So if you get a study permit approved, make sure you don't have any plans or need to return to the U.S. for a decade.

Good luck.

Aug 20, 2019
No harm in trying in that case.

You'll need to show that you have sufficient funds to cover first year tuition + $10K in living expenses when you apply for the study permit. Generally this means you want to show a bank balance of at least $25,000. You're probably a bit late for the September semester - but maybe still can get in if you focus on colleges vs. universities. Otherwise aim for the January intake. Stay away from all private colleges and universities. They have a bad reputation, offer a poor level of educatio and often you don't qualiy for a work permit once you complete your studies.

You'll want to include a letter to explain why you are pursuing studies in Canada - especially given your status in the U.S. Suggest you read through the posts in the International Students section of the forum for examples of LOEs.

One piece of bad news (although you may not care), is that you'll be automatically banned from the U.S. for 10 years as soon as you leave. So if you get a study permit approved, make sure you don't have any plans or need to return to the U.S. for a decade.

Good luck.
I knew all this already & I've already started “ working “ to pay for it. I was thinking august 2021 which I think I could make the money in time. Thank you so much

Reactions: scylla

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You’ll need to plan on doing at least a 2 year program. You’ll also have to show that there will be some way to come up with money for the next year. Working in Canada won’t be sufficient. Would also make sure you are thinking of a plan B because approvals are rare. Would look at both US community colleges and schools in Jamaica.