+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can i apply for study permit from inside canada ?

norton85

Jun 9, 2020
Hi friends,

Am on a visitor visa in canada... Can i apply for study permit from iniside canada ?

Due to covid19, its even harder to go out and apply.....any suggestion welcome plz

utojamepark

Star Member
Apr 8, 2020
on the same boat, from what I have heard, yes you can, just apply as if you are applying from you home country. it is harder to prove your country tie tho

Reactions: canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes you can apply but you can’t apply in Canada so must send your application to another country. Most select the US. Processing is currently is paused until the end of June and there is a large backlog. It is much harder to prove that you will return home after your studies.

norton85

Jun 9, 2020
thank you mates...for your responses...

I tried to create a dummy application...it clearly asks about the country I am applying from...so if I am in Canada, at the end of the questionaire, it says you are NOT ELIGIBLE to apply............... but when i select another country, there is no issue.

So, i dont think one can apply from inside Canada.... and one CAN NOT mention another country if he is in Canada because it will be a big lie !

I dont know why they didnt change the rule becoz of the COVID 19............. Now is hard to get out or even to enter another country...........so, I dont think any visitor can apply from inside......... My personal view

norton85

Jun 9, 2020
Yes you can apply but you can’t apply in Canada so must send your application to another country. Most select the US. Processing is currently is paused until the end of June and there is a large backlog. It is much harder to prove that you will return home after your studies.
You mean I will select my country of residence as USA while i am here in Canada? Dont think so.
It would have been possible if one could go to USA and apply and then come to Canada the other day.........and if anything was required in the USA office, one could go and submit.........but current situation does not allow that....

If you have more info, please share.........will be very grateful...am stuck

norton85

Jun 9, 2020
Dont think so bro... even the form is named as ... applying from outside canada............ so one can not be in canda and pretend to be outside...

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You mean I will select my country of residence as USA while i am here in Canada? Dont think so.
It would have been possible if one could go to USA and apply and then come to Canada the other day.........and if anything was required in the USA office, one could go and submit.........but current situation does not allow that....

If you have more info, please share.........will be very grateful...am stuck
Yes you apply as if you were outside Canada.

norton85

Jun 9, 2020
Yes you apply as if you were outside Canada.
1. Well it will depend... Yes , from within Canada, I am not eligible for SDS ........... But dont know how long it will take if i apply from within.......dont know if i get added advantage of applying from within.........

2. My country is Pakistan....... So, do i need to bring all the family related finance to GIC ?

utojamepark

Star Member
Apr 8, 2020
Dont think so bro... even the form is named as ... applying from outside canada............ so one can not be in canda and pretend to be outside...
the form is named 'outside Canada' because you need to present your documents to a visa office outside of Canada, if you submit you 'inside canada' form within Canada your application will most likely get rejected.

utojamepark

Star Member
Apr 8, 2020
I thought people can do it online (no need to send paper documents to the US) nowadays?

Thanks in advanced