+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I apply for skilled worker without including my wife?

waveform

Mar 17, 2008
Hi Friends,

I am a Chinese citizen, currently in Canada and will apply for skilled worker at Buffalo. My wife is still working in China and would probably be there for a few more years. Including her in my application is probably not a good idea since in case I need an interview at Buffalo, she probably could not get a visa to the US for the interview.

Therefore, I plan to apply myself and I will mention in the application that my wife will not be accompanying me. If my application is successful, I can sponsor her as family member later.

Would such a plan work? If so, what types of documents does she need to provide? Since she is not accompanying me in my application, I guess her working certificate and IELTS score are not needed, is this correct? Also, does she need medical exam?

Thank you for helping me out!

Waveform

AP

Star Member
Jul 7, 2007
On one hand you she will not be included in your application and on the other you say she will accompany you I guess u wanted to say she will not accompany you.

Well,if you do not include her now she can never sponsor her. U have to include all the ppl who will immigrate to canada on your application be it ur wife or kids.

I u r applying for urself she will not have to go thru anything.IELTS is reqd only for the primary applicant.As you said you are working in canada can she not come on a visit visa to see her husband? May be at that time you can try for a visit visa to US as well.One more thing, you cannot be sure that you will be called for an interview.It might be possible that they will waive the interview.U as a primary applicant will have to give proof of ur english ability and she does not.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

AP

waveform

Mar 17, 2008
AP said:
On one hand you she will not be included in your application and on the other you say she will accompany you I guess u wanted to say she will not accompany you.

Well,if you do not include her now she can never sponsor her. U have to include all the ppl who will immigrate to canada on your application be it ur wife or kids.

I u r applying for urself she will not have to go thru anything.IELTS is reqd only for the primary applicant.As you said you are working in canada can she not come on a visit visa to see her husband? May be at that time you can try for a visit visa to US as well.One more thing, you cannot be sure that you will be called for an interview.It might be possible that they will waive the interview.U as a primary applicant will have to give proof of ur english ability and she does not.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

AP
Hi AP,

Thanks a lot for your input! Yes, I meant she is not accompanying me in my application. More exactly, I will surely provide her information honestly in my application, but I will also mention that she would not be accompanying me in my application as skilled worker. In fact, I think there is one place on the application form where you can choose whether your family member will be included in the application or not. So I think it is legal and I can sponsor her later. Do you think so?

If she is not accompanying me, she does not need medical exam either, correct?

Thanks!

Waveform

mikelingen

Star Member
Aug 3, 2007
waveform,

First you have to put your wife on your application.

Second, she has to be medically examined even if she is not traveling to Canada. If she chooses to voluntarily opt out of the medical examination, she forfeits her right to immigrate to Canada in the future.

May I suggest that you put in your application as normal. And during the interview you can explain your predicament to the Visa officer at Buffalo OR if your interview is waived, better still. Once your PPR is issued your wife/dependents (children) can travel to join you in Canada.

You can co-ordinate with CIC, Buffalo and make arrangements for your wife to do her medicals in China.

Mike

waveform

Mar 17, 2008
mikelingen said:
waveform,

First you have to put your wife on your application.

Second, she has to be medically examined even if she is not traveling to Canada. If she chooses to voluntarily opt out of the medical examination, she forfeits her right to immigrate to Canada in the future.

May I suggest that you put in your application as normal. And during the interview you can explain your predicament to the Visa officer at Buffalo OR if your interview is waived, better still. Once your PPR is issued your wife/dependents (children) can travel to join you in Canada.

You can co-ordinate with CIC, Buffalo and make arrangements for your wife to do her medicals in China.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks! Your suggestion about her medical examination and the interview is very helpful.

I will definitely provide her complete and accurate information in my application. But the application form also has a field named "NON-ACCOMPANYING FAMILY MEMBERS DECLARATION (IF APPLICABLE)". I am thinking of declaring here that she is not accompanying me. Are you seeing any problem doing this?

Thanks and regards,

Waveform

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have read somewhere on www.cic.gc.ca they DO NOT allow to "sponsor wife later"/
Unfortunately, I do not remember exactly where I saw that.

I suggest you should go to the immigration lawyer and ask him this question.

waveform

Mar 17, 2008
Regina said:
I have read somewhere on www.cic.gc.ca they DO NOT allow to "sponsor wife later"/
Unfortunately, I do not remember exactly where I saw that.

I suggest you should go to the immigration lawyer and ask him this question.
Are you sure about that? I really doubt it. Anybody else who can give some advice?