+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I apply for PR if I study in a private college?

amonamarther

Oct 2, 2018
I want to study a Co-op Diploma in Business (12 months study + 12 months work) in a private college. I can't get a PGWP because that institution does not offer eligible PGWP programs...
But is there a way of applying for PR after having a Canadian diploma and 1 year of work experience?

Thank you in advance for your responses.

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I want to study a Co-op Diploma in Business (12 months study + 12 months work) in Arbutus College (Vancouver). I can't get a PGWP because that institution does not offer eligible PGWP programs...
But is there a way of applying for PR after having a Canadian diploma and 1 year of work experience?

Thank you in advance for your responses.
You'll need to research Canada's immigration programs to find out what it takes to qualify and apply. I would recommend you start by researching the Express Entry program. You can find this information here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada.html

amonamarther

Oct 2, 2018
You'll need to research Canada's immigration programs to find out what it takes to qualify and apply. I would recommend you start by researching the Express Entry program. You can find this information here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada.html
Thank you, scylla! I've read a lot about Express Entry...
I'm wondering if a Canadian diploma from a private college + 12 months of work experience (co-op), will help me to get a higher score for EE? Or it won't count because I studied in a private college? Thank you a lot!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I'm wondering if a Canadian diploma from a private college + 12 months of work experience (co-op), will help me to get a higher score for EE? Or it won't count because I studied in a private college? Thank you a lot!
The co-op won't help you. Since the co-op is part of your education it will not be counted as work experience at all.

Yes - your Canadian diploma will get you extra points under EE.

Reactions: Gurwinder316

Gurwinder316

Star Member
Mar 2, 2017
The co-op won't help you. Since the co-op is part of your education it will not be counted as work experience at all.

Yes - your Canadian diploma will get you extra points under EE.[/QUOTE

Hello,

I have done B.Tech and WES recognised it as 4 year Canadian degree. Now i want to do full time (2 semester i.e. 8 months) UNDER GRADUATE Diploma in 'OFFICE ADMINSTRATION' from a PRIVATE Canadian college having DLI on CIC website (no PGWP which is ok as i do not need it).

1. Will I qualify under 2 or more degree/diploma category and get point in EE?
2. Will I get 15 points for Canadian Education

Please guide.Thanks

Lpena

Jun 11, 2019
I want to study a Co-op Diploma in Business (12 months study + 12 months work) in a private college. I can't get a PGWP because that institution does not offer eligible PGWP programs...

Thank you in advance for your responses.[/QUOTE
Hi. I have the same case. I will start on July 2 in with 2 years Coop program (1year study, 1 year coop), I cant also apply for PGWP. I would like to ask if it is possible to apply for PR after finishing the 2 year program?

ozzyess

Star Member
Oct 21, 2019
Hey guys. I am in the same pool.

I would like to attend a public college in Canada to guarantee the pgwp however it exceeds my budget. Therefore I am thinking about registering to a private college.

So, although I know that my co-op training won't qualify as a canadian work experience, I would like to know if the certificate given from a private college can be utilised as points in crs calculation.

Thank you in advance for your answers.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hey guys. I am in the same pool.

I would like to attend a public college in Canada to guarantee the pgwp however it exceeds my budget. Therefore I am thinking about registering to a private college.

So, although I know that my co-op training won't qualify as a canadian work experience, I would like to know if the certificate given from a private college can be utilised as points in crs calculation.

Thank you in advance for your answers.
Private collges are a waste of money if your goal is PR. Generally you won't qualify for a PGWP once you have finished your studies and IRCC doesn't always recognize this education for additional points.

Either attend a public college / university or study in your home country. Don't take a private college program.

ashu0190

Dec 18, 2016
guys i have a question
if we attend a public college program for 1 year and then go for 1 year program in PGWP eligible college. do we get 3 years of work permit or only 1 as studies from public college is not recognized ?
Also is it easy to get admission in PGWP eligible college after completing the course from public college in Canada ?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

guys i have a question
if we attend a public college program for 1 year and then go for 1 year program in PGWP eligible college. do we get 3 years of work permit or only 1 as studies from public college is not recognized ?
Also is it easy to get admission in PGWP eligible college after completing the course from public college in Canada ?
1. 1 year PGWP.
2. Hard to say, some are easier than others, some just want your money.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
guys i have a question
You mean private college? Because public colleges are good and usually qualify for PGWP

ashu0190

Dec 18, 2016
You mean private college? Because public colleges are good and usually qualify for PGWP
Sorry
I meant private college that does not qualify for PGWP. Study in that college for an year and then take admission in some good college that qualifies for it.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Sorry
I meant private college that does not qualify for PGWP. Study in that college for an year and then take admission in some good college that qualifies for it.
You'll get a 1 year PGWP. You won't get any credit for the 1 year at the private college. That year will be a waste of time and money.