+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can i apply for new born Child PR application from India?

Mar 26, 2017
Hi All,

My self and my wife both are valid PR holders of Canada. Our new born baby is a Indian citizen by birth and now we need to apply for his PR card, so that he can travel to Canada along with us.

Can we process his PR application from India itself, so all 3 of us can travel together and any inputs on the timelines for this if applicable?. Also, if this option is not valid, please suggest most proven/applicable options to go forward with.

Looking forward for your inputs.

Thanks

MilesAway

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-09-2014
Doc's Request.
09-04-2015
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
File Transfer...
30-10-2014
Med's Done....
26-08-2014
Passport Req..
23-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-05-2015
LANDED..........
04-06-2015
As a PR, you must be residing in Canada throughout the process. You cannot sponsor from India.

As explained in your previous post, you must apply for a TRV for the child. Then you can travel together and sponsor them when you are in Canada. If the TRV is refused, then one of you must travel back to Canada and sponsor the child.

Mar 26, 2017
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

However, is there any specific rule where PR holder cannot sponsor from outside Canada?. My agent say, i can apply from India, i am confused what to do. If you are aware of any official link where it is mentioned that PR holder can sponsor from Canada only, can you please provide me that so i can speak with my agent with that as a reference please?. Your help would be much appreciated.

Blueberry_24

Feb 8, 2017
Visa Office......
NDVO
App. Filed.......
8/11/2016
Doc's Request.
26 September 2016 (Valid till 30 September 2017)
AOR Received.
25/11/2016
File Transfer...
7/12/2016 (NDVO mail 12-12-16)
Med's Request
Verification call from NDVO on 11May 2017
Med's Done....
Medical updated on ECAS 12 May 2017
Interview........
Not interested
Passport Req..
Hopefully soon
Canada_Calling_2017 said:
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

However, is there any specific rule where PR holder cannot sponsor from outside Canada?. My agent say, i can apply from India, i am confused what to do. If you are aware of any official link where it is mentioned that PR holder can sponsor from Canada only, can you please provide me that so i can speak with my agent with that as a reference please?. Your help would be much appreciated.

Who can become a sponsor

You can become a sponsor if you are:

a Canadian citizen, a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act or a permanent resident
at least 18 years old
living in Canada:
If you are a Canadian citizen living outside Canada, you must show that you plan to live in Canada when your sponsored relative becomes a permanent resident.

You can’t sponsor someone if you are a permanent resident living outside Canada

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5525ETOC.asp

(Check eligibility)

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
It's right in the guide. This is a VERY basic requirement of sponsorship, so the fact that your "agent" told you otherwise shows that they know nothing about this process. Don't go back to them.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5289ETOC.asp#eligibility

Note: Permanent residents living abroad may not sponsor from outside of Canada. Canadian citizens travelling as tourists are not considered to be living abroad.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Fire your agent immediately - he clearly has no idea what he's doing since this is an extremely simple and well known rule. As explained in the post above, you cannot sponsor your child from outside of Canada and if you try, the application will be automatically refused. Again, before you do anything else, get rid of the useless agent. If he doesn't know this basic rule, it scares me what else he might not know.

Mar 26, 2017
Hi All

Thanks for your reply. This helps a lot. I just have 2 more questions and if anyone can answer, it would be much needed help.
1. Will my baby get free medical as we get?
2. What time line can I expect for entire process to get completed for getting visa process for the new born

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Hi All

Thanks for your reply. This helps a lot. I just have 2 more questions and if anyone can answer, it would be much needed help.
2. What time line can I expect for entire process to get completed for getting visa process for the new born
1. It is likely that you will have to pay for the medical expenses since it is done at a designated approved CIC doctor whether it is done within or outside Canada.

2. The timeline for dependent child PR for India is approx. 16 months according to CIC website.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
1. If you are referring to healthcare in Canada, the child will qualify once he is a PR; depending on the province, there may be a waiting period. Also note that depending on how long you have been gone, you were most likely required to inform provincial healthcare authorities that you left Canada; if you didn't and you return and seek healthcare without serving any required waiting periods, you will be committing healthcare fraud.

2. Probably less than a year, as there are no security/background checks for a child application.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
canuck_in_uk said:
2. Probably less than a year, as there are no security/background checks for a child application.
Agreed. Probably in the 6-8 month range.

Mar 26, 2017
Hi,
Thanks for your replies. I would be staying in ontario provience, any idea how long it takes for getting free medical to a child post getting pr visa. And is it called dependent visa or PR visa that baby will get ?.

Thanks

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Hi,
Thanks for your replies. I would be staying in ontario provience, any idea how long it takes for getting free medical to a child post getting pr visa. And is it called dependent visa or PR visa that baby will get ?.

Thanks
When the PR application is approved, your child will land in Canada with PR status. In Ontario, he will then get access to OHIP coverage after a 3 month waiting period.
So you will need to get private emergency medical insurance during the initial 3 months.

If your child comes to Canada on a TRV as visitor while the PR app is in progress, he will not have access to any OHIP coverage during this time.

Mar 26, 2017
Hi

Thanks for your reply. Any inputs on where on cic site I can see the information about the medical for new born post getting PR approved. Any inputs would be very helpful.
Thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi

Thanks for your reply. Any inputs on where on cic site I can see the information about the medical for new born post getting PR approved. Any inputs would be very helpful.
Thanks
The medical for an infant is a simple physical. No blood tests, no urine test, no x-ray.