+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I apply for Express Entry?

neo-mashiro

Jul 28, 2019
Hello everyone,

I'm going to pursue a master's degree in computer science in Quebec in January 2020, right now I'm applying for my study permit in China. My plan is very simple and straightforward, I intend to apply for a PGWP upon completion of my cs degree, then find a job, then apply for immigration through the EE-CEC stream.

Just out of curiosity, I wonder if I could apply for EE directly when I was still an international student. My situation is, I already have a master's degree (in economics) and 3+ years of work experience (NOC 2173) and IELTS General test 8/8.5/6/7.5, so as long as I score 7+ in writing next time, my EE points would be 480. However, my concern is that if I apply for EE before graduation, that would explicitly indicate my inclination to immigrate, which might have a negative impact on my PGWP application or study permit extension later on.

This sounds like a strange question to me but, I'd appreciate it if someone could clarify this..... Millions of thanks!

neo-mashiro

Jul 28, 2019
P.S.
I already have all the necessary documents with me, WES credential evaluation, certicate of employment, no criminal record, etc... If possible, if the Express Entry application is independent and has nothing to do with my study permit or work permit application, I really want to focus on my IELTS writing test first and then submit my EE application package as soon as possible, regardless of my international student status.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes - you can apply for EE while on a student visa in Canada. No - this won't impact your PGWP.

Reactions: neo-mashiro
Aug 10, 2019
Hi team,

I want to evaluate my credentials but don't have the best knowledge on the one to do is it WES ICAP or WES BASIC, but I think because I am migrating as federal skilled worker I need WES ECA

neo-mashiro

Jul 28, 2019
I
Hi team,

I want to evaluate my credentials but don't have the best knowledge on the one to do is it WES ICAP or WES BASIC, but I think because I am migrating as federal skilled worker I need WES ECA
I think it depends on the specific type of credential you want to be evaluated, check the WES official site below
https://www.wes.org/ca/eca/
I had my US master's degree evaluated under WES ECA to prove my educational background, but WES is also able to evaluate things like your professional certifications or work experience.

neo-mashiro

Jul 28, 2019
Yes - you can apply for EE while on a student visa in Canada. No - this won't impact your PGWP.
Hi Scylla, what if I'm studying in Quebec on a study permit?

Since I don't speak any French and I don't have time to learn it from scratch, my intention is to live and work in other provinces after getting my PR via EE-FSW entry. In this case can I apply for EE as an international student in Quebec? Do I have to prove my intention of leaving Quebec? but how?

This seems to be a dilemma where my real intention contradicts with my student status in Quebec. Even if I get my PR through EE, then I have to drop out of university and leave Quebec immediately, otherwise it would be a misrepresentation.