+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I apply for citizenship while my dependent child PR sponsorship is in-progress?

livingincanada2016

Star Member
Jun 1, 2017
Canada
Category........
CEC
Hi Friends,

I am eligible for applying the citizenship. I have a dependent child born in India, and I am currently working on my child sponsorship file. With the current situation due to covid-19, I am not willing to put on hold my citizenship application as the other application may take time.

My question is, can I apply for my citizenship, while my dependent child PR sponsorship is also submitted. I am half way through my child PR application and has not submitted it yet. Can I have two application (citizenship and dependent child PR) in parallel processing, or shall I submit my citizenship application before my dependent child PR application?

Thank you very much in advance.

s23srinivas

Jul 27, 2015
Hi Friends,

I am eligible for applying the citizenship. I have a dependent child born in India, and I am currently working on my child sponsorship file. With the current situation due to covid-19, I am not willing to put on hold my citizenship application as the other application may take time.

My question is, can I apply for my citizenship, while my dependent child PR sponsorship is also submitted. I am half way through my child PR application and has not submitted it yet. Can I have two application (citizenship and dependent child PR) in parallel processing, or shall I submit my citizenship application before my dependent child PR application?

You can have two applications (PR and citizenship) processed in parallel.
If you apply for both together, I believe your child's PR will get completed before your citizenship application.
As such things have slowed down, I will not recommend for waiting on/postponing the applications further.
All the best!

• Love
Reactions: mpsqra

livingincanada2016

Star Member
Jun 1, 2017
Canada
Category........
CEC
You can have two applications (PR and citizenship) processed in parallel.
If you apply for both together, I believe your child's PR will get completed before your citizenship application.
As such things have slowed down, I will not recommend for waiting on/postponing the applications further.
All the best!
Thank you.

canvisa13

Nov 21, 2019
Hi Friends,

Yes, both could be done in parallel.

Not sure how long the PR sponsorship takes now due to COVID but ... If I were you, I would wait until your child gets PR. Because minor kids with PR, don't need to satisfy the 3 year eligibility period for citizenship if they apply along with a qualified parent under subsection 5(2).

It means, Let's assume your kid get's PR today, then your kid can apply for citizenship right away along with you tomorrow. Your kid doesn't need to wait for 3 years.

When the kids apply on their own, then they have to satisfy the 3 year eligibility period.

Here is the full information:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/application-canadian-citizenship-minors.html

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Hi Friends,

1. You should apply for citizenship as waiting for PR would take time(possibly same time as citizenship - cant know exact time period given the current situation).
2. Once you get your citizenship and after kid's PR landing, you can simply apply for kid's citizenship without waiting for 3 years of residency as you are already a citizen.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0003-application-canadian-citizenship-minors-under-18-years.html

When the kids apply on their own, then they have to satisfy the 3 year eligibility period.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/application-canadian-citizenship-minors.html
Its not correct. If one parent is Canadian and the kid has recently gained PR then this parent can apply for kid's citizenship without waiting for 3 years of kid's residency - "parent (or guardian) applying for a child (under age 18) "
To be eligible for a grant of Canadian citizenship, the minor must:
  • be under 18 years of age at the time the application is signed;
  • be a permanent resident of Canada;
  • have at least one parent (includes legally adoptive parent) who is a Canadian citizen or who will become a citizen at the same time as the minor (applying together as a family).
The option you specified on 3 year residency for a kid is applicable if none of the parents is Canadian.
3 year residency requirement gets applied only for the kid whose parent is not a canadian - "minor (under age 18) without a Canadian parent applying alone ".
This application under subsection 5(1) is intended for minors (under 18) who are permanent residents and:
  • do not have a parent applying for citizenship at the same time as them, or
  • do not already have a Canadian parent.
To be eligible under 5(1), since becoming a permanent resident, the minor must have:
  1. been physically in Canada for at least 1095 days in the five years before applying
  2. if required to do so, filed income taxes for any three taxation years that are fully or partially within the five years before applying.

canvisa13

Nov 21, 2019
1. You should apply for citizenship as waiting for PR would take time(possibly same time as citizenship - cant know exact time period given the current situation).
2. Once you get your citizenship and after kid's PR landing, you can simply apply for kid's citizenship without waiting for 3 years of residency as you are already a citizen.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0003-application-canadian-citizenship-minors-under-18-years.html

Its not correct. If one parent is Canadian and the kid has recently gained PR then this parent can apply for kid's citizenship without waiting for 3 years of kid's residency - "parent (or guardian) applying for a child (under age 18) "
  • have at least one parent (includes legally adoptive parent) who is a Canadian citizen or who will become a citizen at the same time as the minor (applying together as a family).
The option you specified on 3 year residency for a kid is applicable if none of the parents is Canadian.
3 year residency requirement gets applied only for the kid whose parent is not a canadian - "minor (under age 18) without a Canadian parent applying alone ".
This application under subsection 5(1) is intended for minors (under 18) who are permanent residents and:
To be eligible under 5(1), since becoming a permanent resident, the minor must have:
  1. been physically in Canada for at least 1095 days in the five years before applying
  2. if required to do so, filed income taxes for any three taxation years that are fully or partially within the five years before applying.

That's good to know. Thanks for the correction. So if he becomes citizen, lets say next year, and his kid also gets PR next year, then he can apply for his kid citizenship right away? if so, that's good to know. I was under impression that kids need 3 years if they apply alone.

@livingincanada2016 I think its better to apply them in parallel instead of waiting as per @harirajmohan comment. Good luck!

Reactions: harirajmohan

livingincanada2016

Star Member
Jun 1, 2017
Canada
Category........
CEC
Yes, both could be done in parallel.

Not sure how long the PR sponsorship takes now due to COVID but ... If I were you, I would wait until your child gets PR. Because minor kids with PR, don't need to satisfy the 3 year eligibility period for citizenship if they apply along with a qualified parent under subsection 5(2).

It means, Let's assume your kid get's PR today, then your kid can apply for citizenship right away along with you tomorrow. Your kid doesn't need to wait for 3 years.

Thank you.

livingincanada2016

Star Member
Jun 1, 2017
Canada
Category........
CEC

Thank You.

livingincanada2016

Star Member
Jun 1, 2017
Canada
Category........
CEC
That's good to know. Thanks for the correction. So if he becomes citizen, lets say next year, and his kid also gets PR next year, then he can apply for his kid citizenship right away? if so, that's good to know. I was under impression that kids need 3 years if they apply alone.

@livingincanada2016 I think its better to apply them in parallel instead of waiting as per @harirajmohan comment. Good luck!
Thank you guys. I will prepare the application for both myself (citizenship) and child (PR). While filling the application, do I need any special documents that you guys think I might need for my application or dependent child from India (Asking this because of COVID)?

canvisa13

Nov 21, 2019
Thank you guys. I will prepare the application for both myself (citizenship) and child (PR). While filling the application, do I need any special documents that you guys think I might need for my application or dependent child from India (Asking this because of COVID)?
Just follow the application guide carefully and include all the required documents as per the check list. Make sure the photos are according to the specifications with a stamp on backside and signature. And also arrange the documents in same order as mentioned in checklist (I guess agent will go through the check list and check one by one)

There were couple of instances recently where the application returned back due to missing photos(March-2020 Thread). So make sure you secure the photos in an small (clear) envelope and attach it securely to the application. If possible provide a note that photos are included in the application.

And again, just double check all the forms and documents, preferably with a second pair of eyes. And use a proper courier (FedEx is better if you are in Ontario) with a tracking# and signature.

Most common reasons for return are: 1) Missing check boxes 2) Missing signatures 3) Missing IELTS or English language proofs and 4) Issues with Photos.

Make sure you include proper identification documents and passport copies without any gap (you need all covering last 5 years eligibility period for citizenship)

Good luck!

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
No special papers. On some of your previous posts it says that your wife and child landed in 2018 together. Is this a 2nd child?