+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I apply for Canadian citizenship 6 months before 3 year physical presence period?

gnazaryan

Aug 8, 2013
Hi experts,

It is already my 3th year rolling over, and I am preparing for Canadian citizenship application.

Because I know the citizenship application takes 6 months to process.

I was thinking would it be possible to start the application 6 months before the 3 year, meaning 2 years and 6 months, such that when I receive my citizenship, the period will roll over.

Thanks in advanced!!!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi experts,

It is already my 3th year rolling over, and I am preparing for Canadian citizenship application.

I was thinking would it be possible to start the application 6 months before the 3 year, meaning 2 years and 6 months, such that when I receive my citizenship, the period will roll over.

Thanks in advanced!!!
No you have to apply once you qualify. Time until citizenship is already pretty short especially because you can count time as student or worker.

Peacekeeper87

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2018
NOC Code......
Hi experts,

Thanks in advanced!!!
No, it needs to be 3 years of physical presence at time of application. 1095 days minimum exactly. One day missing from the count and your application is refused. It's even recommended to apply a bit later just in case some days are invalidated when they count. It happens often.
Days as temporary visitor (student, tourist, worker...) count as 1/2 day.
You're just 6 months away, it's nothing, just a bit more patience.

If you have more questions, I'd suggest going to the Citizenship threads of this forum.
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/forums/citizenship.12/