+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I apply for a work permit while my PR is being processed?

breezydusk

Jul 11, 2019
Hi,

I am an Indian citizen living in the US. I qualified for the PR process via Express Entry, I applied, and also paid the RPRF fee. At this point, as I am awaiting my PR to be processed, I may actually get a job offer in Canada very soon (in a couple of weeks). However, by then, my PR may still be in processing. So, can I apply for a work permit in the meanwhile to accept this offer and move to Canada and start working? Or, is there a rule where I cannot apply for work visas/permits when my PR is being processed. Please advise!

Thank you,
BD.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Hi,

I am an Indian citizen living in the US. I qualified for the PR process via Express Entry, I applied, and also paid the RPRF fee. At this point, as I am awaiting my PR to be processed, I may actually get a job offer in Canada very soon (in a couple of weeks). However, by then, my PR may still be in processing. So, can I apply for a work permit in the meanwhile to accept this offer and move to Canada and start working? Or, is there a rule where I cannot apply for work visas/permits when my PR is being processed. Please advise!

Thank you,
BD.
No, you cannot. You can only apply for a work permit if you're already in Canada on valid status. You can't apply if you're outside - you currently have no status in Canada.

Here are the rules for a Bridging Open Work Permit -
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/extend-permit/bridging-open-work-permit.html

You don't qualify.