+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I apply for a student visa outside my home country?

Hailey

Apr 30, 2014
Hi there.

I've recently been accepted into my post-graduate program of choice at Seneca in Toronto - but now I have to apply for a student visa and I've been told it can take 16 working weeks to obtain!

Hence, I wanted to know if it would be possible for me to apply for a student visa in another country like Italy while I'm on a business trip in a few weeks time? Processing times there are far shorter than in my home country, and it would be a great help if this was possible.

Can anyone answer this?

Thanks in advance!

taleodor

Star Member
Jan 30, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You need a proof of long-term residence in the country from which you are applying. If it's a short business, the answer is probably no, you have to apply in your home country.

dok

Apr 20, 2014
Hello, according to the information you've provided, you CANNOT apply from Italy. If you're applying from any other country apart from your home country, then you should provide proof of residence of which you don't have for Italy. In most cases you may if, for example, you can demostrate that it's impossible to apply from your home country/country of residence. So if your program starts in September and from now you need to travel for business stuffs in Italy and have to stay there till September, the you may. However, you should be aware that you could apply for Canadian study permit without submitting your passport. So you could still travel and when it's approved, you can courier your passport to the embassy for visa counterfoil (if required). Also embassies are able to properly assess your documents if you're applying from the country which issued them (your home country or country of residence). GOOD LUCK.