+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I apply for a Student visa inside Canada while on Valid Visitor Visa?

hellokitty15

Mar 20, 2015
My visitor visa will gonna expire this June. And I am planning to apply for a student visa while inside Canada. Although I hold a multiple visa entry, I just don't want to come back and forth here in Canada, as I am also maximizing my expenses, if I will apply in my home country.

I have a friend of mine, who also had applied for a student visa while on a visitor visa 9 years ago, and she was granted. Do you think, it is still applicable today?

Please Help. Thanks

Raj2014

Sep 13, 2014
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
18-01-2014
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
12-12-2014
AOR Received.
04-05-2015
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
NA
Med's Request
May 9 2014
Med's Done....
May 23 2014 / IP Sep 2 2015 / DM Sep 18 2015
Interview........
NO
Passport Req..
Oct 10 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 11 2015
LANDED..........
Dec 15 2015 / Already in Canada Since 2010 as Student & Worker ...Now PR
hellokitty15 said:
My visitor visa will gonna expire this June. And I am planning to apply for a student visa while inside Canada. Although I hold a multiple visa entry, I just don't want to come back and forth here in Canada, as I am also maximizing my expenses, if I will apply in my home country.

I have a friend of mine, who also had applied for a student visa while on a visitor visa 9 years ago, and she was granted. Do you think, it is still applicable today?

Please Help. Thanks
Yes you can apply and change your status from visitor to student.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

hellokitty15 said:

Please Help. Thanks
1. You have to apply to an overseas office for a SA. You can't apply to Vegreville.

hellokitty15

Mar 20, 2015
PMM said:
Hi

1. You have to apply to an overseas office for a SA. You can't apply to Vegreville.
What do you mean SA? You mean, I have to submit my application for student permit application outside of Canada? How about if I will submit it to VAC or Canadian Embassy in the US? Is it possible? I don't have a US visa. I am from Vietnam.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
hellokitty15 said:
What do you mean SA? You mean, I have to submit my application for student permit application outside of Canada? How about if I will submit it to VAC or Canadian Embassy in the US? Is it possible? I don't have a US visa. I am from Vietnam.
Yes - you have to submit the application to the visa office responsible for Vietnam. No - you can't apply through the US since you haven't been admitted to Canada for at least a year.

hellokitty15

Mar 20, 2015
scylla said:
Yes - you have to submit the application to the visa office responsible for Vietnam. No - you can't apply through the US since you haven't been admitted to Canada for at least a year.
Is it possible that I will just mail my application to Vietnam while I am here in Canada? And will just wait for the result of my student visa application? Or do I really need to go back to Vietnam to file my application there? Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You can apply while you are in Canada - however it will lower your chances of approval. One of the conditions of being approved for a study permit is to show that you have strong ties to your home country and have no plans on remaining in Canada long term. If you are already in Canada and have been visiting Canada for several months - it will be more difficult to prove ties to your home country.

Also, keep in mind that you will have to send your passport to Vietnam for visa stamping. The Vietnam visa office will not send your passport back to you in Canada. You will have to get the visa office to send your passport to a friend or family member with a local address who will then have to somehow get your passport back to Canada.

kewl

Star Member
Sep 19, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Riyadh Online TRV
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-04-2014
Doc's Request.
03-04-2014
Passport Req..
28-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
27-04-2014 (Multiple)
LANDED..........
First landed in 09/2016. Visa Expired 11/2016. Reapplied with approved TRV valid until 2021
will it cancel your existing TRV if one is granted study permit? and chances are lower if one holds an existing TRV?

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
kewl said:
will it cancel your existing TRV if one is granted study permit? and chances are lower if one holds an existing TRV?
Why would it? TRV and Study Permit are two different things.

hellokitty15

Mar 20, 2015
scylla said:
You can apply while you are in Canada - however it will lower your chances of approval. One of the conditions of being approved for a study permit is to show that you have strong ties to your home country and have no plans on remaining in Canada long term. If you are already in Canada and have been visiting Canada for several months - it will be more difficult to prove ties to your home country.

Also, keep in mind that you will have to send your passport to Vietnam for visa stamping. The Vietnam visa office will not send your passport back to you in Canada. You will have to get the visa office to send your passport to a friend or family member with a local address who will then have to somehow get your passport back to Canada.
Just curious, if approved of student visa, does Canadian embassy will put visa stamp in our passport? I already hold TRV multiple entry . And this is now my second time to visit Canada. My first time to visit Canada was last year and I just only stayed for one month. And then I came back last year of December and still in Canada now. I still have strong ties in my country because I am receiving a lifetime pension there. And I still have some investments. Aside from that, some of my siblings and parents are still living in my country. I had also traveled to Australia, Hongkong, Macau. And I never had an issue of overstaying on those countries. It's just so happened that I have found a good school that I am looking for. Actually, the field of study that I am planning to get here in Canada is different from my field of expertise in Vietnam. It's like a second career. Please help. Thanks

hellokitty15

Mar 20, 2015
hellokitty15 said:

Please Help. Thanks
Any comments,suggestions? Thanks

pochfaye0704

Star Member
Jul 22, 2015
BC, Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
CIO
NOC Code......
NOC B 1241
Job Offer........
Yes
Nomination.....
11-10-2018
AOR Received.
18-10-2018
Passport Req..
28-08-2019
Hi, what if I'm here in Canada now with a WORK VISA but is going to expire soon, can I apply for a student visa from within Canada?