+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I a PR in Canada sponsor my Spouse in a student visa??

Dhawal Rank

Nov 4, 2014
I want to apply for a student visa for my spouse. I am not sure if CIC allows that. My spouse is going to study no matter what so might be okay going through that path

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I want to apply for a student visa for my spouse. I am not sure if CIC allows that. My spouse is going to study no matter what so might be okay going through that path
your spouse can try to get a study permit. Proving that she will return to her/his home country will be difficult given your PR status.

namratha_s

Sep 17, 2014
The tuition fees for international students is way high when compared to pr n citizen. I would also say apply for spouse sponsorship n then once she is here she can apply for schools

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
Your spouse would be the one having to go through the application process not you.

Yes your spouse can apply for a study permit once he's admitted into a program.

Dhawal Rank

Nov 4, 2014
The tuition fees for international students is way high when compared to pr n citizen. I would also say apply for spouse sponsorship n then once she is here she can apply for schools
The Spousal Sponsorship takes about a year. Student Visa seems to be a faster option. Also, she is planning to take a cheap college course. We just dont want to live apart for more than a year.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
The Spousal Sponsorship takes about a year. Student Visa seems to be a faster option. Also, she is planning to take a cheap college course. We just dont want to live apart for more than a year.
She can certainly apply if she gets accepted to a school and can show the $25k in funds. However, with a PR spouse living in Canada, her chances of approval are lower. You really shouldn't delay submitting the PR app.

Dhawal Rank

Nov 4, 2014
She can certainly apply if she gets accepted to a school and can show the $25k in funds. However, with a PR spouse living in Canada, her chances of approval are lower. You really shouldn't delay submitting the PR app.
I wanted to submit the Sponsorship Application ASAP. But currently, I am stuck in India due to COVID-19. I need to be physically present in Canada to submit the application. I have been trying to find flights but even if I find an evacuation flight, they are 20 hours' drive from me and there is no way to go there due to nation-wide lockdown. That is the reason I am exploring other reasons as there is no surety on when I will be back in Canada and apply for the Sponsorship application.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I wanted to submit the Sponsorship Application ASAP. But currently, I am stuck in India due to COVID-19. I need to be physically present in Canada to submit the application. I have been trying to find flights but even if I find an evacuation flight, they are 20 hours' drive from me and there is no way to go there due to nation-wide lockdown. That is the reason I am exploring other reasons as there is no surety on when I will be back in Canada and apply for the Sponsorship application.
You need to be prepared that CIC will not see you4 spouse as a genuine student and more as a spouse trying to join their spouse in Canada. Would be prepared that you may need to be separated during the sponsorship process.

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
Even if you were back in Canada today, you do know a sponsorship application can easily take anywhere between 1 and 2 years to be processed, don't you?

I'm not saying it necessarily would, but it could.

So either way, unless your spouse is planning to start studying in the fall 2021 or 2022, not being able to submit the sponsorship application right now is not really your biggest issue.