+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can foreigners start a small business in Canada?

sokinecola

Jul 18, 2016
specifically, start business in Ontario Province

I am a foreigner but I have 1 canadian citizen who is willing to be my partner/director.
my questions are:
1) If I form Partnership with her, can I actively manage my own business? (rather than passive ownership only)?
2) same as 1), the difference is form a corporation
3) If I live in Canada permanently, and manage my business in Canada, do I have to immigrant eventually?

Thanks folks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Starting a business / partnership in Canada doesn't automatically allow you to live or work here - or necessarily lead to PR.

To live and work in Canada before PR, you should read up on the closed work permit process - this requires securing a full time job offer from an employer in Canada with an existing business and also having that employer obtain an approved LMIA.

For immigrating to Canada based on a business, I would recommend you read up on the Start Up Visa immigration program and also the provincial nominee programs.

Good luck.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
sokinecola said:

I am a foreigner but I have 1 canadian citizen who is willing to be my partner/director.
my questions are:
1) If I form Partnership with her, can I actively manage my own business? (rather than passive ownership only)?
3) If I live in Canada permanently, and manage my business in Canada, do I have to immigrant eventually?

Thanks folks
As a foreigner, you can own a business in Canada. However, you can not work for that business without the proper authorization (work visa). So, the answers to #1 and #2 are both no, and #3 is N/A since you can't live here permanently without either being a PR or a citizen.

medellru

Sep 20, 2015
sokinecola said:

my questions are:
1. yes
2. yes
3. if you are a PR, no issues. If you a visitor, you are still can do that easily if it won't interfere with the current regulations.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
medellru said:
1. yes
2. yes
3. if you are a PR, no issues. If you a visitor, you are still can do that easily if it won't interfere with the current regulations.
(3) as a visitor running a business is likely only possible if zero Canadian clients for example an online business where all clients without exception are offshore. Otherwise need to be PR plus of course a visitor has limited rights to stay in the country.

Overall probably not a good investment unless PR .Owning a business or buying a Canadian business unless through the business migration/startup PR route is not a way to PR.