+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can foreign student get permanent resident status after completing education

ali083

Jan 10, 2013
I m thinking for a student visa but my main aim is to try for a permanent resident status.Whats the possibility of getting permanent resident status after completing education.

I would also like to know in which course i can apply on basis of my qualification.I have done Bs(it) and Masters s in International Relations and for more than two years i have been working as lecturer of IT at a college in my country.

tiger007

Champion Member
ali083 said:
I m thinking for a student visa but my main aim is to try for a permanent resident status.Whats the possibility of getting permanent resident status after completing education.

I would also like to know in which course i can apply on basis of my qualification.I have done Bs(it) and Masters s in International Relations and for more than two years i have been working as lecturer of IT at a college in my country.

Hi,

Yes. There are many student immigration routes available for international students to get PR, after completion of their studies, from a recognized Canadian educational institute(College or University) of minimum 8 months/2 sem/1 academic year duration.

To know more about various student immigration programmes, visit this older post with all official links.
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/various-immigration-programmes-for-international-students-in-canada-t100908.0.html

And, what course you pursue... is totally based on your interest, long term career goal and previous educational background. Perhaps you can go for Master's in IT.. or a Master's in International relations..or even MBA! Since you are qualified, you should try to get into a University level Master's course.
To tell you more. you should post your complete profile, such as nationality, age, qualifications, year of passing, percentage, exact occupation responsibilities, IELTS score...or even GMAT or French proficiency scores.

Best of Luck.

***All opinions expressed are purely personal, and pieces of information mentioned are to the best of my knowledge... You should consult other sources too.

ali083

Jan 10, 2013
I am from Pakistan
My age 29
completed my BS(IT) in 2006
MA IR in 2008
and from last two years working as a Assistant lecturer in a government institute which involves delivering lecturers to commerce student about basics of IT.
I have not done IELTS or any other English test but i have consulted a consultant here in Pakistan and they are saying that even without IELTS i can apply for a students visa bcoz there are some universities in which IELTS is not compulsory and they will also attach a English course certificate with my documents.

tiger007 said:
Hi,

Yes. There are many student immigration routes available for international students to get PR, after completion of their studies, from a recognized Canadian educational institute(College or University) of minimum 8 months/2 sem/1 academic year duration.

To know more about various student immigration programmes, visit this older post with all official links.

And, what course you pursue... is totally based on your interest, long term career goal and previous educational background. Perhaps you can go for Master's in IT.. or a Master's in International relations..or even MBA! Since you are qualified, you should try to get into a University level Master's course.
To tell you more. you should post your complete profile, such as nationality, age, qualifications, year of passing, percentage, exact occupation responsibilities, IELTS score...or even GMAT or French proficiency scores.

Best of Luck.

***All opinions expressed are purely personal, and pieces of information mentioned are to the best of my knowledge... You should consult other sources too.

tiger007

Champion Member
ali083 said:
I am from Pakistan
My age 29
completed my BS(IT) in 2006
MA IR in 2008
and from last two years working as a Assistant lecturer in a government institute which involves delivering lecturers to commerce student about basics of IT.
I have not done IELTS or any other English test but i have consulted a consultant here in Pakistan and they are saying that even without IELTS i can apply for a students visa bcoz there are some universities in which IELTS is not compulsory and they will also attach a English course certificate with my documents.
Hi,

If you have above 60% in 2 years of your MA, you should definitely try to get into a master's programme in a Canadian university. IELTS is an important part of not only University application..but also your visa application package. Canadian government is giving lot of emphasis on language requirements for international students, professionals and immigrants...it's highly reccomended that you score good in IELTS(min 6.5, better 7), which anyways will be requirement for most universities.

You need to first find your area of interest, related to IR or maybe even management or education... and find appropriate master degrees suiting your overall profile, and apply asap.

And, for your own sake, do not consult ANY roadside consultant. Do consult a reputed and established consultant.. that too mainly to handle the application process. But studying..which course you want to study... ultimately it should be your decision (you can consult a good career counsellor for advice) and not any agent's reccomendation.

Best of Luck.

ali083

Jan 10, 2013
tiger007 said:
Hi,

If you have above 60% in 2 years of your MA, you should definitely try to get into a master's programme in a Canadian university. IELTS is an important part of not only University application..but also your visa application package. Canadian government is giving lot of emphasis on language requirements for international students, professionals and immigrants...it's highly reccomended that you score good in IELTS(min 6.5, better 7), which anyways will be requirement for most universities.

You need to first find your area of interest, related to IR or maybe even management or education... and find appropriate master degrees suiting your overall profile, and apply asap.

And, for your own sake, do not consult ANY roadside consultant. Do consult a reputed and established consultant.. that too mainly to handle the application process. But studying..which course you want to study... ultimately it should be your decision (you can consult a good career counsellor for advice) and not any agent's reccomendation.

Best of Luck.

So IELTS is must without IELST i can't apply Right ?

tiger007

Champion Member
ali083 said:
So IELTS is must without IELST i can't apply Right ?
Hi,
It depends on specific universities. But to the best of my knowledge, MOST universities, demand IELTS of min 6.5 overall(with no bands less than 6)..some even demand 7... for admissions to their Master degree programmes. So..it's highly reccomended you score good in IELTS. You can check all university master programme websites, most will require international students to have an IELTS score.

Rest upto you.

Best of Luck.

ali083

Jan 10, 2013
Okay Thanks for the replies i will check that out.

tiger007 said:
Hi,
It depends on specific universities. But to the best of my knowledge, MOST universities, demand IELTS of min 6.5 overall(with no bands less than 6)..some even demand 7... for admissions to their Master degree programmes. So..it's highly reccomended you score good in IELTS. You can check all university master programme websites, most will require international students to have an IELTS score.

Rest upto you.

Best of Luck.

ali083

Jan 10, 2013
Forgot to ask something will it be possible for the student to manage his personal expense and university fee on his own earning after getting work permit .

tiger007 said:
Hi,

Rest upto you.

Best of Luck.

tiger007

Champion Member
ali083 said:
Forgot to ask something will it be possible for the student to manage his personal expense and university fee on his own earning after getting work permit .
HI,

You Must have full tuition fees for 2 years, and till 1st 6 months, before you become eligible for Off campus work permit.
You MAY earn your living expenses.. working part time..only if you live in bigger cities, with more employment opportunities like say... Toronto, Montreal, Edmonton etc.. Finding part time work is difficult, in smaller towns with limited population and business establishments.
Forget earning univ. tuition fees with part time jobs.
To be safe..you must have funds equivalent to minimum 2 years tuition fees+ airfare+ settlement/initial money+ living expenses (min min 6-8k$/year.. although 10k$/year is reccomended for living expenses).

ali083

Jan 10, 2013
Thanks tiger for ur help

tiger007 said:
HI,

You Must have full tuition fees for 2 years, and till 1st 6 months, before you become eligible for Off campus work permit.
You MAY earn your living expenses.. working part time..only if you live in bigger cities, with more employment opportunities like say... Toronto, Montreal, Edmonton etc.. Finding part time work is very difficult to find in smaller towns with limited population and business establishments.
Forget earning univ. tuition fees with part time jobs.
To be safe..you must have funds equivalent to minimum 2 years tuition fees+ airfare+ settlement/initial money+ living expenses (min min 6-8k$/year.. although 10k$/year is reccomended for living expenses).

aamro1992

Jul 10, 2011
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
14-March-2017
IELTS Request
Waived
Med's Request
Waived
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
05-June-2017
LANDED..........
01-Sep-2017
ali083 said:
Nope.
You need to get a good GPA, do networking, attend job fairs and career workshops to get a job for pgwp. You can't possibly do that if you are working part time.
This coming from a second year student