+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can FBI certificate be reused?

cv540

Jul 21, 2019
I submitted police certificate issued by FBI during my PR application. I haven't traveled to the US since then. Do I still need to submit fresh FBI certificate or can I reuse the one submitted for PR?

Thanks!

cv540

Jul 21, 2019
I submitted police certificate issued by FBI during my PR application. I haven't traveled to the US since then. Do I still need to submit fresh FBI certificate or can I reuse the one submitted for PR?

Thanks!
To be more specific, what I meant was, whether can I resuse the same FBI certificate used for PR application during citizenship application?

sweetcute123

Star Member
Nov 2, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
25-09-2016
IELTS Request
UPFRONT
Med's Done....
UPFRONT
Passport Req..
24-01-2017
first of all, where does it ask you to submit?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010

Thanks!
To be more specific, what I meant was, whether can I resuse the same FBI certificate used for PR application during citizenship application?
Follow the instructions in the Guide and application form, applying those instructions as best YOU can to YOUR particular circumstances, according to your own best judgment.

Note, while the instruction in Item 10b specifies providing "a police certificate," the checklist (last version I have looked at, which is CIT 0007 (01-2019) version) specifically refers to "Original police certificates or clearances."

It appears you probably do NOT need to submit a police certificate, but that is a decision for YOU to make. The situation you describe appears similar to Example 1 in the help instructions (drop down link "?" in pdf form, current CIT 0002 (06-2019) version). Example 1 states:
You lived in France for one year (365 days) before you became a permanent resident 3 years ago. You did not travel to France after you became a permanent resident. You would answer "Yes" to the question and you would need to provide a police certificate from France if you did not provide one with your immigration application. If you provided a police certificate from France with your immigration application, tell us this in the box provided at Question 10b.

My interpretation is that in a scenario like this, if a clearance was submitted in the immigration process, it is not necessary to include a clearance with the application so long as the applicant explains, in the 10b box, that a clearance was submitted during the immigration process.

There is a separate instruction if the country involved was the applicant's home country, but it too, if applicable, provides for entering an explanation in the Item 10b box and NO police clearance is then required.

All that said, a reminder: I am not qualified to advise how YOU should approach this. Generally mistrust any such advice. It is important for individual applicants to understand what the application asks for and to use their own best judgment in providing information and documents . . . or, rely on an AUTHORIZED representative, such as a lawyer.

Reactions: k300k3

cv540

Jul 21, 2019
Follow the instructions in the Guide and application form, applying those instructions as best YOU can to YOUR particular circumstances, according to your own best judgment.

Note, while the instruction in Item 10b specifies providing "a police certificate," the checklist (last version I have looked at, which is CIT 0007 (01-2019) version) specifically refers to "Original police certificates or clearances."

It appears you probably do NOT need to submit a police certificate, but that is a decision for YOU to make. The situation you describe appears similar to Example 1 in the help instructions (drop down link "?" in pdf form, current CIT 0002 (06-2019) version). Example 1 states:
You lived in France for one year (365 days) before you became a permanent resident 3 years ago. You did not travel to France after you became a permanent resident. You would answer "Yes" to the question and you would need to provide a police certificate from France if you did not provide one with your immigration application. If you provided a police certificate from France with your immigration application, tell us this in the box provided at Question 10b.

My interpretation is that in a scenario like this, if a clearance was submitted in the immigration process, it is not necessary to include a clearance with the application so long as the applicant explains, in the 10b box, that a clearance was submitted during the immigration process.

There is a separate instruction if the country involved was the applicant's home country, but it too, if applicable, provides for entering an explanation in the Item 10b box and NO police clearance is then required.

All that said, a reminder: I am not qualified to advise how YOU should approach this. Generally mistrust any such advice. It is important for individual applicants to understand what the application asks for and to use their own best judgment in providing information and documents . . . or, rely on an AUTHORIZED representative, such as a lawyer.
Thank tou, this is helpful!