+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can engineer apply for Trade certificate !

Yorker13

May 27, 2013
Hi all,

I have Bachelor of science in Engineering dicipline, and 10 years of experience, big part of these years I was working under title of Technician, now I am been in Canada for 3 years unemployed, I am now planning to apply for Ontario Association of Certified Technologist and Technicians to become a Certified Engineering Technologist (C.E.T.) or Certified Technician (C.Tech.).

I am not sure if my application will be accepted or not, since for a CET or CTECH the academic requirement is diploma while I have a bachelor which classifies me as engineer, so am I elgible to register with OACETT..!!?

what are the prospects of finding jobs in trades compared to engineering jobs.!!

I hope if anyone had made similar switch to share his/her experience.

pindu

Star Member
Jun 5, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March-2015
AOR Received.
May-2015
File Transfer...
May-2015
Med's Request
20 jan 2016
Med's Done....
Dec.-2014
Interview........
waived
bro my advice for you not to apply in Ontario for technologist registration. Apply in ASET which is Alberta registration body, ASET registration process is smoother than ontario regulatory body after your registration you can transfer anywhere.

Yorker13

May 27, 2013
thx for ur advise pindu, may I know how you reached that ASET have smoother process than OACETT, i took a look at ASET website,somehow i felt they have more requirements than OACETT especially for applicants with foriegn education and experience, would love to know ur side of the story.

pindu

Star Member
Jun 5, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March-2015
AOR Received.
May-2015
File Transfer...
May-2015
Med's Request
20 jan 2016
Med's Done....
Dec.-2014
Interview........
waived
they just need WES assessment of foreign qualifications and they also have the option to write a letter which satisfy the need of language requirement where in Ontario body needs ielts 7 bands or equivalent.

Yorker13

May 27, 2013
pindu said:
they just need WES assessment of foreign qualifications and they also have the option to write a letter which satisfy the need of language requirement where in Ontario body needs ielts 7 bands or equivalent.
Dolly noted, important factors indeed,I tried to send them a letter today explaining to them that all university classes and study material were in english,also I made CLBPT and scored 8 in all modules, hoping that will waive off the ielts requirement but still have no reply from them.

Pindu, those points are really helpful i will seriously consider applying to ASET , do u know if there is any technical reports to be submitted like Ontario requires one technology report , also is there other exams other than the ethics and codes exams..!, I have one assessment from WES but that was made in 2013 ,would they still accept it.

btw, I thought WES is in ontario ,and ASET accepts IQAS which is in ALBERTA..?!.

how long does the overall process can take ?....in ontario they seem quick if everything is in order u can be certified within a year, also one pros is there is that u can waive off the canadian one year experience by taking the international version of the practise exam.....does ASET have that option as well.

Thx Pindu

pindu

Star Member
Jun 5, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March-2015
AOR Received.
May-2015
File Transfer...
May-2015
Med's Request
20 jan 2016
Med's Done....
Dec.-2014
Interview........
waived
I dont know the time line I will also apply the ASET as I dont have WES assessment now with me.

WES assessment is more important than other assessment most of the provinces bodies accepts it even APEGA which is alberta engineering lic body accepts wes only.

I think they accepts wes course by course assessment if you have it will be ok

ASET have their own other exam other than PPE which is applicable for all people even for canadians who are educated outside alberta.

Jommie

Star Member
Nov 13, 2016
Philippines
Good day,

Thinking of applying to ASET before I land to Canada. I am from the Philippines with a Bachelors degree in Chemical Engg and WES evaluated it as a 3 year diploma. I also have 4 years work experience in a technical field as a technician.

Is it worth it to apply to ASET? Can I not land a job if im not part of the association? I have seen that being a technician is not regulated in Canada.

Any thoughts?

Hope you have your experience.

Thank you.