MG84

Star Member
May 24, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
22-08-2015
Can a pr holder trial to the US without a visa or will they need to apply for that seperatly

HB.Agenda2

Jul 18, 2011
not without a visa...

only citizens can travel to US without a visa...

however being a PR getting a US travel visa should be a piece of cake... i got mine easily by merely showing my ITA letter... had not even submitted the application yet..

all the officers at US Consulate care about is that you've got ties in Canada and would return back at the end of the intended stay...

hope this helps...

Bahamas

Oct 8, 2015
Nassau
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC - Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MG84 said:
Can a pr holder trial to the US without a visa or will they need to apply for that seperatly
Yes and No.

YES - If your country of citizenship falls under the U.S. Visa Waiver Program
http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/visit/visa-waiver-program.html

NO - If your country of citizenship does not.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
It used to be the case, but Bahamas is right, it still depends on your current country of citizenship.

Check as well if it will be faster to get a US visa in your home country's US Embassy or a US Consulate in Canada. When you get the COPR or PR card, you can get to apply to a consulate in Canada or the US embassy in Ottawa.

eski

Sep 16, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Express Entry
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 20 2016
Doc's Request.
Jan 20 2016
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
Jan 20 2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
NA
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Passed Jan 23 2016
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
March 17 2016
VISA ISSUED...
April 13 2016
LANDED..........
April 28 2016
MG84 said:
Yup!
depends on your current country (s) of citizenship. ..you may or may not need a visa. But im guessing since you asked it's most likely you are from a visa required country. Please go ahead and apply. But don't forget to show ties to Canada. Im not sure being a PR or showing an ITA would suffice. You need ties. I've seen citizens refused entry into the us based on ties.my friend had no job and lived with her parents. She was driving in. ..no ticket to show plans of returning etc....just show ties. Job. School. Mortgage. Family. Etc...you'll b fine

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
MG84 said:
Canadian PR's used to be entitled to visa-free travel to the US. However, that privilege was abused by a number of PR's and the policy was changed. Now it depends on the passport you hold, with the PR status being irrelevant. With the Liberals' plans to bring in a number of Syrian refugees, expect it to become even harder for PR's to obtain said visas.

eski

Sep 16, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Express Entry
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 20 2016
Doc's Request.
Jan 20 2016
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
Jan 20 2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
NA
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Passed Jan 23 2016
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
March 17 2016
VISA ISSUED...
April 13 2016
LANDED..........
April 28 2016
torontosm said:
Canadian PR's used to be entitled to visa-free travel to the US. However, that privilege was abused by a number of PR's and the policy was changed. Now it depends on the passport you hold, with the PR status being irrelevant. With the Liberals' plans to bring in a number of Syrian refugees, expect it to become even harder for PR's to obtain said visas.
torontosm said:
i never thot abt that aspect. ...wow

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
torontosm said:
Now it depends on the passport you hold, with the PR status being irrelevant. With the Liberals' plans to bring in a number of Syrian refugees, expect it to become even harder for PR's to obtain said visas.
i wouldn't conclude the pr status as being irrelevant. If a pr can demonstrate that he's settled in canada and has a job with sufficient income and savings to cover his trip/expenses - i don't see a reason why he would be refused a us visa.

shashidhar_sm

May 21, 2015
NOC Code......
LANDED..........
07-07-2017
I have a US business visa that was issued to me in India and it is valid till 2022 (multiple entry). Assuming I get the Canadian PR, should I still apply for a visa to the States from Canada again? Or can I travel with the one I already have?

Bahamas

Oct 8, 2015
Nassau
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC - Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
shashidhar_sm said:
I have a US business visa that was issued to me in India and it is valid till 2022 (multiple entry). Assuming I get the Canadian PR, should I still apply for a visa to the States from Canada again? Or can I travel with the one I already have?
If it is a B1/B2 visa, you don't need another visa, that is good enough.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
shashidhar_sm said:
Just adding to what you have already been told, i have had a similar situation and had a B1/B2 visa issued back in home country and only a few years latter came to Canada. I have since traveled to US several times on the same visa and i am not even on a PR, rather work permit in Canada as of now.

Just that the first time, they inquired in a little bit more detail about understanding the whole situation i.e. when and how was the visa issued, what's my current status in Canada and what's the purpose of trip. After that, they just asked when were you here the last time and that was about it.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
emamabd said:
i wouldn't conclude the pr status as being irrelevant. If a pr can demonstrate that he's settled in canada and has a job with sufficient income and savings to cover his trip/expenses - i don't see a reason why he would be refused a us visa.
I meant irrelevant to the visa requirement. The old rule was that any PR didn't require a visa. Now, the rule is that it doesn't matter if you are a PR or not, if your country of origin requires you to obtain a visa, you must do so. As such, holding PR status is irrelevant to the visa requirement.