+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can being a reference in Cash Advance negatively affect me?

Quince777

Aug 16, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I keep getting phone calls from Cash Advance stores where a friend of mine put me as a reference apparently without asking me. Can this negatively affect my pr application or am I just being paranoid? I currently have a pr application submitted through Buffalo office. I am concerned if this kind of action can turn out negatively in my background checks somehow. So anything like this bothers me a lot. What would you advise?

Kazakhstan

Star Member
Jan 12, 2012
Sorry, but you ARE paranoid. It won't hurt your PR application in any way. Background checks are about being a security threat or a criminal, NOT about your credit standing... ESPECIALLY not about you being recorded by some store as a reference... :)

Do you seriously think they call every store in existence and ask them, is such-and-such person is known to you guys in a bad way? ;D No, they inquire if your name/DOB/country of origin is in the terrorst & criminal databases... If yes, they investigate further...

Quince777

Aug 16, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you for your answer! That calmed me down.

I guess I have a concern of this affecting my credit history. Can it potentially have a negative influence on my credit history?

Kazakhstan

Star Member
Jan 12, 2012
Quince777 said:
Thank you for your answer! That calmed me down.

I guess I have a concern of this affecting my credit history. Can it potentially have a negative influence on my credit history?
I don't think so. If the store reports you to the credit bureau it would be illegal on their part, because they have NOT provided a credit to you nor you were a co-signer on your friend's credit application. Unless he has forged your signature and indicated you as a co-signer, in which case it's a crime on your friend's part...

Being a "reference" does not bind you by any financial obligation, therefore it has no relation to your credit history whatsoever.

Quince777

Aug 16, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Kazakhstan said:
I don't think so. If the store reports you to the credit bureau it would be illegal on their part, because they have NOT provided a credit to you nor you were a co-signer on your friend's credit application. Unless he has forged your signature and indicated you as a co-signer, in which case it's a crime on your friend's part...

Being a "reference" does not bind you by any financial obligation, therefore it has no relation to your credit history whatsoever.
Thanks a lot!
I found it annoying on my friend's part giving my name as a reference without asking me, moreover never even mentioning this to me.

Kazakhstan

Star Member
Jan 12, 2012
Quince777 said:
Thanks a lot!
I found it annoying on my friend's part giving my name as a reference without asking me, moreover never even mentioning this to me.
You're welcome. Ask the store to stop bugging you.

Quince777

Aug 16, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Kazakhstan said:
You're welcome. Ask the store to stop bugging you.
I did this time after being bothered second time. Last time they called me from the different store. Sometimes I start wondering if I can trust this person :-[.

Kazakhstan

Star Member
Jan 12, 2012
Quince777 said:
Sometimes I start wondering if I can trust this person :-[.
No you definitely can't... But you can always forgive anyway.. :) Well, depends how close and dear the friend is and if they stop setting you up like that... Sometimes we call people friends who really aren't. Things like that can happen, none of your fault. On the bright side, it's a little annoyance and not a real trouble, so please don't worry too much about it.