+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can an international student apply for a regular work permit?

PapeCancer

Jul 20, 2012
My cousin is an international student who came to Canada in April for 6-month-language study. Her study permit is about to expired soon ( in next couple months i guess) . So can my cousin apply for a regular work permit which is not a work permit for student ? And what does she need for the application and how ?
Thanks in advance ;)

annann

Jul 27, 2011
i don't think she can work. is that ESL she's taking? if so, then she can't. I think she has to find an employer that can help her get a work permit.

ome700

Star Member
Oct 20, 2011
karachi
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad,Pakistan
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Not Yet
LANDED..........
After Visa
PapeCancer said:
My cousin is an international student who came to Canada in April for 6-month-language study. Her study permit is about to expired soon ( in next couple months i guess) . So can my cousin apply for a regular work permit which is not a work permit for student ? And what does she need for the application and how ?
Thanks in advance ;)
Yes she can but first find an employer with LMO

Inam89

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Yes
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
Yes
PapeCancer said:
Thanks in advance ;)
She can apply for a work permit from inside Canada

Additionally she must also have the following documents:

- a job offer from a Canadian employer
- a completed application, that shows that you meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations, and
- written confirmation from HRSDC that the employer can hire a foreign worker to fill the job. This confirmation is called a positive labour market opinion.

She must also do the following:

- Satisfy an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your work permit.
- Show that you have enough money to support yourself and your family while you are in Canada.
- Respect the law and have no criminal record. (You may have to provide a police clearance certificate.
- Show that you are not a risk to the security of Canada.
- Be in good health. (You may have to have a medical examination.)

PapeCancer

Jul 20, 2012
Thank you for all of your response :)

I am still kinda confused. So, my cousin need to find a job which is offered by Canadian employer with LMO first . And if she gets hired, she can apply for work permit ? The processing time of work permit is supposed to be 2 months ( correct me if i am wrong) , between the time she gets hired and the time she receives a work permit, she is not allowed to work , is she ?
And how can she obtain the written confirmation from HRSDC ? Plus, just in case she is approved for work permit, if her study permit is expired , can she stay in Canada with the valid work permit ?

Inam89

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Yes
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
Yes
1. You find an employer.
2. The employer applies for a Labour Market Opinion from HRSDC after advertising the position for 2 weeks on the job bank.
3. Employer has to demonstrate that there are no Canadians or Permanent Resident available or qualified for the job and you have the
qualifications.
4. Processing time for LMO 8-12 weeks.
5. Once the LMO is granted, the Canadian employer can extend a temporary job offer to the foreign skilled worker.
6. With these documents, the foreign skilled worker can apply to HRSDC for a Canada Temporary Work Permit. If the Canadian employer
that is hiring is in the province of Quebec, the foreign skilled worker may also need to obtain a Certificat d'acceptation du Québec (CAQ)
in order to work temporarily in Quebec.
7. A Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) officer will issue the Canada Temporary Work Permit at the point of entry (boarder office) or if
the SP is valid she can apply to CPC Vegreville.