+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can an artist sell art in Canada on a tourist visa

kit91

Sep 27, 2022
If I want to come to Canada short term or until I can find a way to stay can I sell artwork for money in Canada on a tourist visa or do I need a work visa just to do it by myself with no employer. I'm self taught hobbyist trying to become a pro artist

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If I want to come to Canada short term or until I can find a way to stay can I sell artwork for money in Canada on a tourist visa or do I need a work visa just to do it by myself with no employer. I'm self taught hobbyist trying to become a pro artist
You cannot. This is classified as working which you cannot do as a visitor. You need a work permit to be able to work legally and sell your art. There really isn't a way to get a work permit without an employer in Canada. I don't think your plans are feasible unfortunately.

kit91

Sep 27, 2022
You cannot. This is classified as working which you cannot do as a visitor. You need a work permit to be able to work legally and sell your art. There really isn't a way to get a work permit without an employer in Canada. I don't think your plans are feasible unfortunately.
thank you

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
This morning, you asked about trade school as a welder. if you are trying to immigrate then look at immigration programs based on your skills, education, age and work experience. If you want to study, then look at study programs. Studying in Canada doesn’t guarantee PR.

kit91

Sep 27, 2022
This morning, you asked about trade school as a welder. if you are trying to immigrate then look at immigration programs based on your skills, education, age and work experience. If you want to study, then look at study programs. Studying in Canada doesn’t guarantee PR.
just looking for anyway to get in. thanks for your reply. Also i don't expect canada to give a free ride I may have to accept that it's not going to happen. You can create art with a welding machine thought it would help get me a job offer but looks like Canada isn't going to happen for me so far.

Last edited:

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
just looking for anyway to get in. thanks for your reply. Also i don't expect canada to give a free ride I may have to accept that it's not going to happen.
Being US citizen, you can't enter Canada as a tourist?

kit91

Sep 27, 2022
Being US citizen, you can't enter Canada as a tourist?
you can get a tourist visa up to 6 months depending on what they want to give you but if it looks like your trying to live in canada perminatly on a tourist visa they boot you out (i only know a little about canadian immigration system if I'm mistaken about something i appologize)

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
you can get a tourist visa up to 6 months depending on what they want to give you but if it looks like your trying to live in canada perminatly on a tourist visa they boot you out (i only know a little about canadian immigration system if I'm mistaken about something i appologize)
Btw, why not move to another US state or city?

kit91

Sep 27, 2022
Btw, why not move to another state or city?
that's probably what's going to happen. the us is falling apart at the seems I want out before we end up imploding on our selves. and it's a dream to get to live in another country

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
that's probably what's going to happen. the us is falling apart at the seems I want out before we end up imploding on our selves. and it's a dream to get to live in another country
Not sure where in the US are falling apart. I've been to the pacific northwest recently and things were fine.

kit91

Sep 27, 2022
Not sure where in the US are falling apart. I've been to the pacific northwest recently and things were fine.
I live in the deep south I've heard people wanting to have another civil war that's probably not going to happen but after the jan 6 riot I'm still expecting things to get much worse. I'm talking about the political climate not the economy.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Fun Fact:

Right after the 2016 Presidential Election, this website crashed because of the plethora of U.S. citizens/residents wanting to come to Canada. Apparently, more than a few thought they could just load up a truck and drive North.

This is also why the new section in the forums was created:
Moving to Canada from the U.S.
Canada offers a range of permanent immigration programs that may be attractive to residents of the United States. Learn how to move to Canada permanently through one of these programs.

But clearly, this new section is open to all.

Reactions: kit91

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Also, you can work from Canada without needing a work permit if you can work remotely (via the internet, phone, etc.) and are NOT remunerated by anyone in Canada or by a company outside Canada that has a presence in Canada. Probably doesn't help with your artisan plan, but maybe you could do something while you evaluate your options if you do come for a visit?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I live in the deep south I've heard people wanting to have another civil war that's probably not going to happen but after the jan 6 riot I'm still expecting things to get much worse. I'm talking about the political climate not the economy.
Sounds like you can try a different state as a change. (e.g. like the Pacific Northwest states)
That will allow you to work and feel less of the political climate you feel in the deep south.

Reactions: kit91

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Canada is still possible for you but it will likely take quite a bit of work on your end to make it real (as well as time). Either you'll need to qualify through one of Canada's economic immigration programs which generally requires a few years of skilled work experience, an advanced degree and funds to pay for your settlement here. A study permit could be an option provided you have at least $25K in savings. There's an outside chance a work permit might also be possible if you have specialized skills / education / past work experience.