+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can a US green card holder apply for residency here in Canada????

Beller

Mar 8, 2013
:'( Hi every one, Ok here is the thing I am a Permanent US resident currently visiting in Canada again for the 7th time, but this time I filled out an application to extend my stay but now I am looking for a way to come and go as I please without any hassle, being that I am married to a Canadian born citizen, and he resides here in Canada. I would like that strain to be off the both of our shoulders because I don't always want to pick up and leave my husband and he feels the same, but I also have a registered business in the US which i operate as a small business owner and I travel a lot with my spouse in and out of Canada to family members, so my frustrating questions are i.e. 1) Can I apply for permanent residence here as well although I before I become a citizen of the US or what can I initially apply for that would help ease the hassle or frustration? 2) Can I just apply for an entrepreneur Visas, so I can start my own business here also? Please help me solve this puzzle because being that my husband never had to worry about these things in life being a born Citizen, he actually has no knowledge what so ever and I can't blame him please help guys Please..... Serious and profound Answers Only, don't mean to sound rude but if you don't have any knowledge of what I should do, please don't respond.....

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The best option is for your Canadian citizen spouse to sponsor you for PR through family class. Your husband could have sponsored you as soon as you were married or common law - not sure why you are waiting and making things more complicated for yourselves.

Entrepreuner class is not a viable option. Applications are not being accepted at this time for the federal program. Even if they were, you would have to show a net worth of at least $1.6 million and be able to make an investment of $800K into the Canadian economy. Plus the processing time is years (3-4 or more).

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Duplicate thread.. Identical question.

I think more details are needed.

a) How long have you been married?
b) Do you intend to permanently live together in one of the countries? Which one?
c) What is your current nationality?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Your husband could sponsor you for PR of Canada but it is possible that US immigration will give you problems with your green card if they know about it. The criteria to keep a Canadian PR is that you stay in Canada at least 730 days any 5 year period or stay with a Canadian spouse outside Canada for the same amount of time or a mix of both but the criteria to keep a US PR is a bit more difficult. You can not leave the US for more than a year and if they feel that you have moved permanently to another country, say because you got your Canada PR, they may want to revoke your green card.

However, with a Canada PR, you would be allowed to set up business in Canada if you want to.

Beller

Mar 8, 2013
Oh wow thank you so much guys!!! great info :D
Oh to Answer Questions, We are married for just over a year now and I will be swearing in as a US Citizen later on this year they told me I need to be home in new york or the US perhaps for a consecutive 90 days without leaving to swear in though and I was also planning to share homes both here in Canada and in the US with my husband, only after I swear in as a citizen I will start my spouse's papers so he can freely stay there in New York as well

lokyy

Jun 10, 2014
Miami, Florida
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-11-2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
11-11-2014
Interview........
Waved
Passport Req..
08-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
next week
LANDED..........
next week :)
Leon said:
Your husband could sponsor you for PR of Canada but it is possible that US immigration will give you problems with your green card if they know about it. The criteria to keep a Canadian PR is that you stay in Canada at least 730 days any 5 year period or stay with a Canadian spouse outside Canada for the same amount of time or a mix of both but the criteria to keep a US PR is a bit more difficult. You can not leave the US for more than a year and if they feel that you have moved permanently to another country, say because you got your Canada PR, they may want to revoke your green card.

However, with a Canada PR, you would be allowed to set up business in Canada if you want to.
so,if I travel with my wife and stay lets say 1 year or more outside canada(with my wife) that time counts as if I was inside canada?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
lokyy said:
so,if I travel with my wife and stay lets say 1 year or more outside canada(with my wife) that time counts as if I was inside canada?
Yes, if your wife is a Canadian citizen (not a Canadian PR).

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
lokyy said:
Yes, if you are a PR and your wife is a Canadian citizen, your time spent with her outside Canada counts towards your PR residency requirements as if you had been in Canada.