+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can a spouse travel on implied status?

juhanjuhanjuhan

Star Member
Feb 1, 2015
My friend is applying for inland spousal sponsorship when he realized that his passport is about to expire on september. Can he travel to renew his passport and return without any problems? He has an eta which is valid for 5 years.

Thanks.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
My friend is applying for inland spousal sponsorship when he realized that his passport is about to expire on september. Can he travel to renew his passport and return without any problems? He has an eta which is valid for 5 years.

Thanks.
Entry is not guaranteed and as said above, Implied Status ends when leaving Canada. He will need a new ETA when he gets the new passport. If he can get a new passport from Canada, that would be easier.

Reactions: juhanjuhanjuhan

juhanjuhanjuhan

Star Member
Feb 1, 2015
Entry is not guaranteed and as said above, Implied Status ends when leaving Canada. He will need a new ETA when he gets the new passport. If he can get a new passport from Canada, that would be easier.
Thank you!

He might be denied because he overstayed his ETA. Do you think the consulate can let him renew his passport in Canada without a valid status?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you!

He might be denied because he overstayed his ETA. Do you think the consulate can let him renew his passport in Canada without a valid status?
If he has no status, leaving is not a good idea. Whether he can renew depends entirely on his country, so he will need to find that out.

Reactions: juhanjuhanjuhan

juhanjuhanjuhan

Star Member
Feb 1, 2015
If he has no status, leaving is not a good idea. Whether he can renew depends entirely on his country, so he will need to find that out.
Wonderful thanks for the reply! I'll definitely advice him to call the consulate then. Hope they can issue a passport to get his PR and not have problems during the landing interview.