+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can a refugee visit his country? will I see my brother again? is he lying to me?

R

rish888

Yes that's what I meant to ask. Once he is a PR he can leave Canada to a third country and he doesn't have to wait for citizenship, right? Because I have read that applicants have to be resident in Canada for 1095 days in the four years immediately before they apply for citizenship, and I want to know if those days have to be consecutive.
As a PR he can travel to all countries excluding his home country.

As a citizen he can travel to all countries including his home country.

The 1095 days does not need to be consecutive.

fy94

Aug 27, 2017
Even as a citizen I would avoid returning to your home country for a decent period of time.
What is your reasoning for that? Stop trying to misguide people my friend. Once he’s a citizen he can go anywhere he wants including his home country provided his refugee claim was genuine.

Reactions: lavida

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Agree that he could travel home with citizenship as long as the claim was genuine, but why would anyone want to risk that question coming up by returning home and why return to a country that you need to claim refugee status? Don’t get that.

fy94

Aug 27, 2017
Agree that he could travel home with citizenship as long as the claim was genuine, but why would anyone want to risk that question coming up by returning home and why return to a country that you need to claim refugee status? Don’t get that.
I’m sorry your reasoning is completely flawed. Is there no such thing as a temporary threat to life? What if the conditions in their home country changed? Should they give back their Canadian nationality and erase the years they lived in Canada, just because they want to return to their country of birth? Other than Canada there is no country in the world that practices cessation and by seeking refuge in a country you are not giving up your right to return to your home country. It’s as simple as that. Threats to life are not permanent in most cases and being a refugee does not mean you are threatened in your home country forever. So there is no “question”, returning to his home country does not mean he didn’t need protection in the first place and it is not ethically incorrect or unlawful at all. In fact the law of cessation should be completely removed and permanent residents should all be treated the same way and instead the refugee system should be made better so false claims are rejected and genuine refugees are allowed.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
What is your reasoning for that? Stop trying to misguide people my friend. Once he’s a citizen he can go anywhere he wants including his home country provided his refugee claim was genuine.
Say a family member wants to claim refugee status. Hard to show that your family member now feel safe enough to return to your home country because they are a Canadian citizen but friends and family are in fear for their life and want refugee status.

Never said someone couldn't return I said I would wait because it looks really bad to be granted refugee status but leave as soon as your have citizenship. Also if I fear for life why would I want to return. Pretty uncommon for countries to change dramatically in 5 years.

fy94

Aug 27, 2017
Say a family member wants to claim refugee status. Hard to show that your family member now feel safe enough to return to your home country because they are a Canadian citizen but friends and family are in fear for their life and want refugee status.

Never said someone couldn't return I said I would wait because it looks really bad to be granted refugee status but leave as soon as your have citizenship. Also if I fear for life why would I want to return. Pretty uncommon for countries to change dramatically in 5 years.
There would be no connection between a family members and my case. Situations could be completely different. In the same country different people can be threatened by different things. My family member might have a different opinion or might belong to a different religious sect than mine for which he is threatened?

The thing is people like you want to be the ethics police of the world. Everybody has their own story and their own problems. If it was not right to go back to your home country after citizenship it would be the law but it isn’t. And going back would “look bad” to who? Who cares what you think looks bad? If someone wants to go back it is lawful and that’s all that matters. As I said, fear of life does not have to be permanent for someone to be a refugee. Nowhere does it say that I’m refugee law around the world including Canada. People wait until citizenship to go back so they aren’t affected by cessation and that’s not cheating the system. Again that is not ethically or lawfully wrong.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
How is the logic flawed, when you yourself qualify your statement with the phrase “genuine claim”? All I said was why Draw attention to yourself and risk any scrutiny. And cessation does exist, so there are questions about returning to your home country, particularly before you gain citizenship. And until you can guarantee that no one will ever abuse the refugee system again, cessation will always be a part of the guidelines. I’m all ear as to how you can make it better and eliminate the false claims.

http://www.unhcr.org/419dbce54.pdf

A fundamental change in circumstances has typically involved developments in governance and human rights that result in a complete political transformation of a country of origin.18 Evidence of such a transformation may include ‘significant reforms altering the basic legal or social structure of the State . . . [or] democratic elections, declarations of amnesties, repeal of oppressive laws and dismantling of former security services’.19 In addition, the ‘annulment of judgments against political opponents and, generally, the re-establishment of legal protections and guarantees offering security against the reoccurrence of the discriminatory actions which had caused the refugees to leave’ may also be considered.20 Changes in these areas must also be ‘effective’ in the sense that they ‘remove the basis of the fear of persecution’.21 It is therefore necessary to assess these developments ‘in light of the particular cause of fear’.

fy94

Aug 27, 2017
How is the logic flawed, when you yourself qualify your statement with the phrase “genuine claim”? All I said was why Draw attention to yourself and risk any scrutiny. And cessation does exist, so there are questions about returning to your home country, particularly before you gain citizenship. And until you can guarantee that no one will ever abuse the refugee system again, cessation will always be a part of the guidelines. I’m all ear as to how you can make it better and eliminate the false claims.

http://www.unhcr.org/419dbce54.pdf
My friend your not answering my question. Is it unlawful or not? Does the risk have to be permanent for someone to be a refugee? Does it make it a non genuine claim because the risk isn’t permanent? And I used the words practiced, I didn’t say the cessation law doesn’t exist. Cessation should only be practiced when it is determined to be a false claim and is a good law to that extent only. From what you are saying, if a person returns to his country of origin his claim was definitely false? There are cases where people voluntarily give up their status and go back home because they are no longer at risk. Don’t think of everybody as a scammer trying to cheat the system. That just reflects your own way of thinking.

Last edited:
Reactions: live&love

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Is it unlawful or not?
At no point did I say it was illegal. Ill advised perhaps, but at no time did I say it was illegal.

From what you are saying, if a person returns to his country of origin his claim was definitely false?
I’ve have said nothing of the sort. Re-read MY posts. You’re making the same sort of assumptions that you are accusing others of making
The thing is people like you want to be the ethics police of the world.
Don’t think of everybody as a scammer trying to cheat the system. That just reflects your own way of thinking.
, except from the opposite perspective. Not everyone here has negative opinions of refugees (myself included). If I did, I’d be busy posting in some anti immigration forum rather than trying to hold a conversation. Haters tend to rant, not discuss. What I think of your or anyone else’s claim is really irrelevant as I do not make the final call on what is legitimate or not or valid reason to return home or not. That’s someone else’s job. All I am offering is my perspective on the guidelines and regulations as written. Choose to use the information or don’t....it doesn’t really alter anything in the way I think or live my life. But it might change yours or someone else’s who doesn’t grasp the intracasies of the law.

Reactions: rish888 and abd1983

fy94

Aug 27, 2017
At no point did I say it was illegal. Ill advised perhaps, but at no time did I say it was illegal.
Not Ill advised at all either. Not illegal nor Ill advised so let’s just agree to disagree.

I’ve have said nothing of the sort. Re-read MY posts. You’re making the same sort of assumptions that you are accusing others of making

, except from the opposite perspective. Not everyone here has negative opinions of refugees (myself included). If I did, I’d be busy posting in some anti immigration forum rather than trying to hold a conversation. Haters tend to rant, not discuss. What I think of your or anyone else’s claim is really irrelevant as I do not make the final call on what is legitimate or not or valid reason to return home or not. That’s someone else’s job. All I am offering is my perspective on the guidelines and regulations as written. Choose to use the information or don’t....it doesn’t really alter anything in the way I think or live my life. But it might change yours or someone else’s who doesn’t grasp the intracasies of the law.
Not Ill advised at all either. Not illegal nor Ill advised so let’s just agree to disagree. I would actually advise people to pay a visit to their home country if they feel safe once they get their citizenship.

I have made no such assumptions. In fact I am refuting the wrong assumptions other people are trying to make.

I agree that it is irrelevant and I must say I have no benefit from the light you are shedding on the intracasies of the law. I am definitely no hater I just like to reason. Have a good one!

Last edited:
R

rish888

Not Ill advised at all either. Not illegal nor Ill advised so let’s just agree to disagree. I would actually advise people to pay a visit to their home country if they feel safe once they get their citizenship.

I have made no such assumptions. In fact I am refuting the wrong assumptions other people are trying to make.

I agree that it is irrelevant and I must say I have no benefit from the light you are shedding on the intracasies of the law. I am definitely no hater I just like to reason. Have a good one!
I completely agree with @Buletruck and @canuck78 that if possible he should avoid travelling to his home country as soon as he gets citizenship.

Yes, as a citizen he can travel wherever he wants as is his right . However, just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.

If he really needs to go back, then he can, however there's no point in proving a point, which is what you're advocating.

fy94

Aug 27, 2017
I completely agree with @Buletruck and @canuck78 that if possible he should avoid travelling to his home country as soon as he gets citizenship.

Yes, as a citizen he can travel wherever he wants as is his right . However, just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.

If he really needs to go back, then he can, however there's no point in proving a point, which is what you're advocating.
Everybody has their own opinion. Yours won’t change mine and vice versa. If you have something solid to make me change my opinion i’d Like to hear it but as long as one is a genuine refugee and now a citizen they have nothing to worry about. The route they came through is irrelevant once they get their citizenship. They are now a citizen just like any other Canadian. Even if there is an investigation a genuine refugee will have nothing to worry about! End of story. If your goal is to complicate things just because you want to then I can’t help you. And it’s not about proving a point, a person doesn’t give up their original nationality when they become a refugee in a different country. If allowed by the home country’s law they are a dual national after becoming a Canadian so it’s not about proving a point they are still citizens of their home country.

fd said

Jan 4, 2019
Hello there..
I’m a protected refugee since January 2017. And still waiting for PR. unfortunately my mother is very sick and she keeps telling me that she wants me to come to see her if things goes bad.. I’m really depressed and exhausted because I know if I tried to back home I’ll lose my protection and cause a problem to me and my kids ... I’d appreciate if anyone have an advice about this subject. Did any one obtained an emergency permission to enter his country?
Please give me any information because I’m in really hard situation.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello there..
I’m a protected refugee since January 2017. And still waiting for PR. unfortunately my mother is very sick and she keeps telling me that she wants me to come to see her if things goes bad.. I’m really depressed and exhausted because I know if I tried to back home I’ll lose my protection and cause a problem to me and my kids ... I’d appreciate if anyone have an advice about this subject. Did any one obtained an emergency permission to enter his country?
Please give me any information because I’m in really hard situation.
Unfortunately the rules about returning to your home country are pretty strict. You have told Canada that it is too dangerous for you to be in your home country and Canada has agreed to offer you protection. If you return to see your mother it appears that it you are not at risk of persecution.