+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can a refugee claimant apply for first open work permit online?

Nyarla

Feb 13, 2017
Hello everyone.

I was admitted to Canada in late December, the hearing date has just been postponed after it was referred to the IRB. now I want to apply for a work permit, I checked the processing time for refugee claimants work permit applications and it was 28 days for online applications and over 100 for paper applications. the question is Can I apply for my first work permit in Canada as a refugee claimant through the CIC online tool? .. I tried to do it online but the eligibility tests didn't give me the option to start a work permit application online ! was it something wrong I did or it is just mandatory for refugee claimants to apply for work permits by paper?

Thank you all.

wezhira

Mar 14, 2017
Yes you can,you probably clicked something wrong on the CIC website but I did mine through the online tool and you're very much eligible :)

Babyfaced

Mar 11, 2017
Nyarla said:
Hello everyone.

I was admitted to Canada in late December, the hearing date has just been postponed after it was referred to the IRB. now I want to apply for a work permit, I checked the processing time for refugee claimants work permit applications and it was 28 days for online applications and over 100 for paper applications. the question is Can I apply for my first work permit in Canada as a refugee claimant through the CIC online tool? .. I tried to do it online but the eligibility tests didn't give me the option to start a work permit application online ! was it something wrong I did or it is just mandatory for refugee claimants to apply for work permits by paper?

Thank you all.
You should take the eligibility test again and click on the required answers but make sure you have your medical done first because you would need proof that you have taken it to apply for an open work permit.