+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can a person apply for asylum if he has a visitor or student visa??

Eames

Jan 1, 2018
Hello Seniors,
I'm 18 years of age Afghan citizen but I physically look 16. I live in Nangarhar (Province of Afg) which is mostly controlled by Taliban militants. Since the school standard is very awful in our area, I received my education from my elder brother. He is an English Instructor. I was homeschooled. Now coming to the point, since the influence of Taliban is increasing day by day. My family received a letter from taliban about my recruitment. I am afraid they will recruit me as a bomb blaster or God knows what forcibly as it happened before. now we are in Kabul city but they threatened me to death. what if I go to Canada by student visa or visitor visa, can I apply for refugee status, what are the chances of my success of eligibility as I have proof of prosecution. I look forward to your responses, Thanks in advance :)

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Do you already have a student visa or TRV? If you don’t, I surmise that these will be difficult to get given your educational background and age.

Reactions: Eames

Eames

Jan 1, 2018
Do you already have a student visa or TRV? If you don’t, I surmise that these will be difficult to get given your educational background and age.
No I havent gotten it yet. Getting student visa wont be a problem. The problem is "does the government gives asylum to those who enter the country by student visa?" and also will they grant me asylum as My country's security is getting awful day by day.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
If you are in Canada, you can apply for refugee status. Whether it’s accepted or not will depend on the strength of your claim (Afghanistan has a pretty good acceptance rate, about 75%) . You will need to show that you have been accepted to a Canadian institution and show sufficient funds to support yourself for a student visa. If you can get a student visa, why not choose a program that would get you a PGWP?

Eames

Jan 1, 2018
If you are in Canada, you can apply for refugee status. Whether it’s accepted or not will depend on the strength of your claim. You will need to show that you have been accepted to a Canadian institution and show sufficient funds to support yourself for a student visa. If you can get a student visa, why not choose a program that would get you a PGWP?
elaborate PGWP please ?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
The problem being, you either have to be in Canada to apply for assylum or be living in a third country and be recognized by the UNHCR as a refugee. The second option takes a while (26 months for refugees from Pakistan/India) after being recognized by the UNHCR. The first option has the TRV/student visa issue to deal with. You are going to need to show proof that you have
  1. The funds to support your trip/education
  2. Strong ties to your home country
  3. Travel history (for a TRV)
  4. Acceptance in a educational institute in Canada.
In all honesty, this won’t happen quickly. TRV processing time for Afghanistan is currently 48 days and difficult to get. Student visas are the same, but you have to get accepted before you can apply (with all the requirements that presents (IELTS, grades, etc). Sorry I can’t be more optimistic, but that is the unfortunate reality.

Reactions: TempResident

Eames

Jan 1, 2018
The problem being, you either have to be in Canada to apply for assylum or be living in a third country and be recognized by the UNHCR as a refugee. The second option takes a while (26 months for refugees from Pakistan/India) after being recognized by the UNHCR. The first option has the TRV/student visa issue to deal with. You are going to need to show proof that you have
  1. The funds to support your trip/education
  2. Strong ties to your home country
  3. Travel history (for a TRV)
  4. Acceptance in a educational institute in Canada.
In all honesty, this won’t happen quickly. TRV processing time for Afghanistan is currently 48 days and difficult to get. Student visas are the same, but you have to get accepted before you can apply (with all the requirements that presents (IELTS, grades, etc). Sorry I can’t be more optimistic, but that is the unfortunate reality.
Thank you for the response mate :)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No I havent gotten it yet. Getting student visa wont be a problem. The problem is "does the government gives asylum to those who enter the country by student visa?" and also will they grant me asylum as My country's security is getting awful day by day.
Based on your later posts - it sounds like getting a study permit may be a problem if you are financially weak. Just to be approved for a study permit, you need to show that you have a bank balance of at least $25,000 to support your first year tuition and living expenses. Do you have these funds available? You must also demonstrate that you have strong ties to your home country and have no plans on remaining in Canada long term.

Eames

Jan 1, 2018
Based on your later posts - it sounds like getting a study permit may be a problem if you are financially weak. Just to be approved for a study permit, you need to show that you have a bank balance of at least $25,000 to support your first year tuition and living expenses. Do you have these funds available? You must also demonstrate that you have strong ties to your home country and have no plans on remaining in Canada long term.
My uncle is stable. He can take care of the bank statements but once I enter Canada. he will transfer the money back to his bank account

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My uncle is stable. He can take care of the bank statements but once I enter Canada. he will transfer the money back to his bank account
Have you been accepted by a college/university in Canada yet? That's the first step before you can apply for a study permit.

Again, to be approved, you will need to demonstrate strong ties to your home country and prove you have no plans on remaining in Canada long term. I think this will be quite difficult for you to do both for a study permit or TRV. Having said that, you can certainly try. I would avoid applying for the TRV unless you have a history of previous travel to countries requiring visas (e.g. US, UK, Australia).

Reactions: Eames

Eames

Jan 1, 2018
Have you been accepted by a college/university in Canada yet? That's the first step before you can apply for a study permit.

Again, to be approved, you will need to demonstrate strong ties to your home country and prove you have no plans on remaining in Canada long term. I think this will be quite difficult for you to do both for a study permit or TRV. Having said that, you can certainly try. I would avoid applying for the TRV unless you have a history of previous travel to countries requiring visas (e.g. US, UK, Australia).
how do i convince institutions to accept me as their former student ?