+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can a permanent resident apply for a Work Permit for his wife before her PR application is submitted?

Mar 27, 2023
Hello,

I have a question and need some help.
I have a colleague of mine who is already a PR (Since 2019). He got married few months ago and his wife is now currently staying with him in Canada.
Her Sponsorship application is not ready ( and won't be for several months) and they want to apply for a Spousal Open Work Permit for her (next week) before her PR application is submitted.
We are all torn on that.
Some are saying no problem.
Some others are saying that to get the SOWP, the wife has first to submit her PR application.
Need some help here.
Thank you very much.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello,

I have a colleague of mine who is already a PR (Since 2019). He got married few months ago and his wife is now currently staying with him in Canada.
Her Sponsorship application is not ready ( and won't be for several months) and they want to apply for a Spousal Open Work Permit for her (next week) before her PR application is submitted.
We are all torn on that.
Some others are saying that to get the SOWP, the wife has first to submit her PR application.
Need some help here.
Thank you very much.
They need to submit the application and wait for AOR. Once she has AOR, she can apply for an SOWP.

Reactions: CommunityHelper

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

We are all torn on that.
Need some help here.
Thank you very much.
Not possible to apply for the work permit first. They have to submit the inland spousal sponsorship application first and wait for AOR before they can apply for the work permit.

Anyone who says they can apply for the open work permit now doesn't understand Canadian immigrants rules.

Reactions: YVR123 and canuck78