+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can a newborn in US of canadian parents (who will be on OCI) apply for OCI/Indian Citizenship?

Jan 31, 2021
Hi All,

I also have a question where I need suggestions and guidance. Currently me and my husband are Indian Citizens and living in Canada. Soon, we are going to apply for Canadian Citizenship as we have plans to move to US (for few years) for better growth opportunities. Fortunately if we have a baby there in US, automatically he will get US citizenship and Canadian citizenship (this I am aware of). We have future plans to move back to India and we can apply OCI status. Will our kid be able to apply for OCI status and/or in future, will be able to apply for Indian citizenship? If yes, then what will be the processing time? Thanks in advance.

Thanks
Priya

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
From what I've read, you can apply for OCI for your child. There is a shortened pathway for Indian citizenship for OCI holders; however, since India does not allow dual citizenship, your child will have to renounce his/her Canadian and American citizenships before becoming an Indian citizen.