+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can a hold Dual PR VISAs for two different countries?

ssk3

Jul 2, 2014
Dear Experts,

Basically i am from India, and currently holding AUSTRALIAN Permanent Resident VISA, but as the IT job market in AUS is not at all encouraging, i am planning to apply for CANADA PR Visa.
My Question is can a person have two PR VISAs? is that acceptable? or will i face any problems if i apply for CANADA PR by holding other country PR VISA (Australian PR VISA)?

please advice.

Thanks,
SSK

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes - you can hold both at the same time.

solomonwise

Jun 10, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ssk3 said:
Dear Experts,

Basically i am from India, and currently holding AUSTRALIAN Permanent Resident VISA, but as the IT job market in AUS is not at all encouraging, i am planning to apply for CANADA PR Visa.
My Question is can a person have two PR VISAs? is that acceptable? or will i face any problems if i apply for CANADA PR by holding other country PR VISA (Australian PR VISA)?

please advice.

Thanks,
SSK
Have you renounced your Indian citizenship?

I am well aware you can have dual citizenship but having 3 countries as nationality is near impossibility. You've got to renounce one out of the 3.

Once you make up your mind,then you can talk about which is to go for.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

solomonwise said:

I am well aware you can have dual citizenship but having 3 countries as nationality is near impossibility. You've got to renounce one out of the 3.

The OP is asking about Permanent Residence Status, not citizenship so he doesn't lose his Indian citizenship.

Reactions: Jakev

ssk3

Jul 2, 2014
solomonwise said:

hi,

thank you for the response.
Having a country's PR (lets say AUSTRALIA PR) doesn't mean i am a citizen or nor my nationality becomes Australian right? As long as i have INDIAN passport.

so, can i apply for CANADA as well ?

sheikh958

Nov 26, 2012
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-05-2013
AOR Received.
PER:12-08-2013
File Transfer...
August 2013
Med's Request
28th July 2014
Med's Done....
21st August 2014
Interview........
Medical received: 27th August 2014
Passport Req..
22-09-2014
VISA ISSUED...
Decision Made: 07-10-2014. Visa issued: 03-10-2014.
LANDED..........
15th November 2014
ssk3 said:
hi,

thank you for the response.
Having a country's PR (lets say AUSTRALIA PR) doesn't mean i am a citizen or nor my nationality becomes Australian right? As long as i have INDIAN passport.

so, can i apply for CANADA as well ?
yes, you can.

solomonwise

Jun 10, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PMM said:
Hi

The OP is asking about Permanent Residence Status, not citizenship so he doesn't lose his Indian citizenship.
Where does PR lead you to if not Citizenship? The underlying factor is you intend becoming a citizen of another country when you have a permanent resident visa even when there are conditions to be met.

You need to look at the larger picture. You are from India,you already have an Australian PR and now you are eyeing canadian PR. Are you turning those into some sort of work visa?

Basically,what I am saying is this you can apply for Canadian PR but in the long run you stand to lose one of the PR/Citizenships as you cannot have and claim to be a Permanent Resident of more than 1 country.

SR79

Jan 18, 2015
Hi SSK3,

I am more or less in the same situation.

1. Expression of interest happened on mid Jan 2015 for Australian PR under 189 [expected processing time is around 3 months from now]
2. Visa application submitted on 20-Dec-2014 [expected processing time is around 7 months from now]

Please let me know was it possible for you get dual PRs. i.e. both Australia and Canada. Thanks in advance for your response.

namaste

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-06-2014
Nomination.....
15-10-2014 (PER)
Med's Request
25-11-2014
Med's Done....
10-12-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
06-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
21-02-2015
LANDED..........
16-05-2015
As has been said before multiple times already, it is NOT a problem to have PRs of multiple countries at the same time. The only problem would be maintaining the PRs for a long time due to residency requirements, but that's a different issue.

And to Solomonwise's comment, applying for citizenship after PR is not mandatory. Some people decide to remain as a PR all their life without ever applying for citizenship for various reasons. So it's a matter of choice.

SR79

Jan 18, 2015
Thanks for the quick response, we are not worried about the citizenship at the movement.

The only concern is, once we get the Visa stamping done for Australian PR and will move to Australia, later if they request passport for Canada Visa stamping, will there be any issues, as that point in time if I am staying in Australia and not given any details about my details about Australia address/PC/Medical. Hope I am clear this time.

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
ssk3 said:
Dear Experts,

please advice.

Thanks,
SSK

IT jobs are more in USA not in Canada?
Weather wise Australia is better. Winters are horrible in Canada.

namaste

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-06-2014
Nomination.....
15-10-2014 (PER)
Med's Request
25-11-2014
Med's Done....
10-12-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
06-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
21-02-2015
LANDED..........
16-05-2015
SR79 said:
Thanks for the quick response, we are not worried about the citizenship at the movement.

The only concern is, once we get the Visa stamping done for Australian PR and will move to Australia, later if they request passport for Canada Visa stamping, will there be any issues, as that point in time if I am staying in Australia and not given any details about my details about Australia address/PC/Medical. Hope I am clear this time.
Well, that's a different issue. If you move to a different country (on a PR visa or any temporary visa) then you should update CIC of the move/address change. If you have your PER email then it should have mentioned that such changes should be reported. You can still choose to have your application processed in the original VO (if that's an option, CIC/VO should let you know if that's an option), but there shouldn't be any lying or misrepresenting from your part. Even if the original VO does the processing and requests passport, you will be given an option to have your visa issued by another VO at the time.

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
In long run we can not keep both PRs.To keep canada PR, we need to stay 2 out of 5 years in Canada.