+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can a Government Officer apply for Permanent Residence?

ElmTree

Star Member
Dec 31, 2014
omarkhan said:
Thats right. I am employed a public sector university in pakistan. And my passport clearly mentions me as a government officer. I'd be really grateful if you could help me appreciate my situation clearly. Thanks
So, I was employed at a Govt university. In fact, technically, I still am, because I am on ex-Pakistan extended leave. I didn't require an NOC but I was honest with my Dean and told him that while I cannot commit to come back at a certain time (or sign a return bond of some sort) due to my family circumstances, but the university is where my heart is so whenever I do come back to Pakistan, I would be honoured to join back. So the option they had was to let me to quit the job permanently or keep me on the books and give me an extended leave. They were kind enough to agree with me on the latter. The Dean then took my case to the top administration of the uni and got it approved. Even that was finalised after I had already left the country.

As far as the CIC was concerned, they never asked for an NOC. I also travelled/lived/worked in other countries while being a government employee in Pakistan. None of the visa officers for those countries asked for NOC. The only time I heard the chatter of NOC was when I needed to renew my passport in Pakistan. The passport officer quizzed me on it and I talked my way out of it. In my opinion, it is a very desi thing to ask for NOCs (i.e. the Pakistani and Indian institutions internally may ask for NOCs). North Americans or Europeans don't care about NOCs. I could be wrong to generalise but this has been my experience.

This is how my situation is different from yours though: a) My passport does not state "government employee". However, my brother has a that kind of passport (he even has the photo on passport in uniform), and yet he travels/lives all over the world privately. b) I am currently on Open Work Permit in Canada, though I have started collating my documents for EE/PR under CEC or FSW categories. When I showed everything to a licensed visa counselor here in Canada, she had no concern over my govt job in Pakistan with ex-Pakistan leave.

Hope this helps.

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
omarkhan said:
Thanks. Thats heartening to hear, and does make sense. What should I declare? That I am a government employee?
Instruction of forms
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/step-by-step.asp

In the Schedule A – Background/Declaration (IMM 5669), there are questions asking if you have served in government positions, military, or member of organizations. Just answer the questions truthfully

They need it to make sure you aren't foreign spys or something dangerous to Canada

omarkhan

Oct 12, 2016
Pakistan
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Islamabad
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
11-08-2017
AOR Received.
11-08-2017
Passport Req..
08/09/2017
ElmTree said:
So, I was employed at a Govt university. In fact, technically, I still am, because I am on ex-Pakistan extended leave. I didn't require an NOC but I was honest with my Dean and told him that while I cannot commit to come back at a certain time (or sign a return bond of some sort) due to my family circumstances, but the university is where my heart is so whenever I do come back to Pakistan, I would be honoured to join back. So the option they had was to let me to quit the job permanently or keep me on the books and give me an extended leave. They were kind enough to agree with me on the latter. The Dean then took my case to the top administration of the uni and got it approved. Even that was finalised after I had already left the country.

As far as the CIC was concerned, they never asked for an NOC. I also travelled/lived/worked in other countries while being a government employee in Pakistan. None of the visa officers for those countries asked for NOC. The only time I heard the chatter of NOC was when I needed to renew my passport in Pakistan. The passport officer quizzed me on it and I talked my way out of it. In my opinion, it is a very desi thing to ask for NOCs (i.e. the Pakistani and Indian institutions internally may ask for NOCs). North Americans or Europeans don't care about NOCs. I could be wrong to generalise but this has been my experience.

This is how my situation is different from yours though: a) My passport does not state "government employee". However, my brother has a that kind of passport (he even has the photo on passport in uniform), and yet he travels/lives all over the world privately. b) I am currently on Open Work Permit in Canada, though I have started collating my documents for EE/PR under CEC or FSW categories. When I showed everything to a licensed visa counselor here in Canada, she had no concern over my govt job in Pakistan with ex-Pakistan leave.

Hope this helps.
Thank you very much for the detailed reply. With your meticulous details I feel more confident about my situation. I have informed my chairman about the fact that I have applied for the immigration. However, like you, I too plan to take an ex-Pakistan leave, as I would love to remain attached to teaching here, that is my passion too, just like you.

I wish my passport didn't have that mention either, just like yours. But I hope all will be fine. Thanks again, and I wish you all the best!

omarkhan

Oct 12, 2016
Pakistan
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Islamabad
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
11-08-2017
AOR Received.
11-08-2017
Passport Req..
08/09/2017
mf4361 said:
Instruction of forms
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/step-by-step.asp

In the Schedule A – Background/Declaration (IMM 5669), there are questions asking if you have served in government positions, military, or member of organizations. Just answer the questions truthfully

They need it to make sure you aren't foreign spys or something dangerous to Canada
Thank you for the link. The question concerning my situation goes:

Question 10
Indicate any government positions you have held in the past such as:

Civil servant;
Judge;
Police officer;
Employee in a security organization;
Etc.

Now, i am a government employee as a teacher, but do not hold or ever held any of the positions above; neither a security related job, nor any administrative job. That is what has confused me. My consultant says, this question is not applicable in my position whereas my passport is also a private passport, but only mentions my occupation as Government Officer (Teacher in a public sector university). In spite of my consultant's assurance, I am not sure whether I should have answered the above instruction with a Yes or No. (presently I have given the option No.

arrayofhope

Jan 14, 2017
CANADA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
07-06-2016
AOR Received.
18/05/2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
04-15-2017
omarkhan said:
Thank you for the link. The question concerning my situation goes:

Question 10
Indicate any government positions you have held in the past such as:

Civil servant;
Judge;
Police officer;
Employee in a security organization;
Etc.

Now, i am a government employee as a teacher, but do not hold or ever held any of the positions above; neither a security related job, nor any administrative job. That is what has confused me. My consultant says, this question is not applicable in my position whereas my passport is also a private passport, but only mentions my occupation as Government Officer (Teacher in a public sector university). In spite of my consultant's assurance, I am not sure whether I should have answered the above instruction with a Yes or No. (presently I have given the option No.
If you can, book a consultation with an experienced immigration lawyer(not consultant) in Canada. You will be able to clear any and all doubts you have.

If you don't want to spend money on a lawyer, I would suggest enter your details in question 10 and attach a letter of explanation stating that you are unsure if you fall into the mentioned category. This way you at-least know that you've done your best to provide information about your position. If CIC considers you a government employee, they have your info, if not they will simply ignore it. Your application will be safe in both scenarios.

chente

Mar 1, 2017
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What is the N.O.C you say cic can ask for?

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
I'd just declare as is. If your paycheque comes from the taxpayers money I think it falls into category of civil servant (that is different from contractors to government tho)

omarkhan

Oct 12, 2016
Pakistan
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Islamabad
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
11-08-2017
AOR Received.
11-08-2017
Passport Req..
08/09/2017
mf4361 said:
I'd just declare as is. If your paycheque comes from the taxpayers money I think it falls into category of civil servant (that is different from contractors to government tho)
As a mattet of fact, not only does my salary come from tax payers money, but also, I am working as a government employee in a government payscale, so being a government employee in my case is beyond doubt. My confusion is because of my lawyer's opinion that it doesnt apply to me. I think i'll gwt in touch with him again. Thanks

omarkhan

Oct 12, 2016
Pakistan
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Islamabad
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
11-08-2017
AOR Received.
11-08-2017
Passport Req..
08/09/2017
arrayofhope said:
If you can, book a consultation with an experienced immigration lawyer(not consultant) in Canada. You will be able to clear any and all doubts you have.

If you don't want to spend money on a lawyer, I would suggest enter your details in question 10 and attach a letter of explanation stating that you are unsure if you fall into the mentioned category. This way you at-least know that you've done your best to provide information about your position. If CIC considers you a government employee, they have your info, if not they will simply ignore it. Your application will be safe in both scenarios.
I have hired a well known law firm in canada for immigration. And my case manager thinks Government position doesnt apply to my case. I personally think otherwise. I think I should once again get in touch with him on the issue.

Also, I like the LOE option. I think i should attach one when submitting the application. Thanks a lot for the suggestion.

hamiltondreamer

Star Member
Mar 30, 2017
Nigeria
Category........
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-04-2017
Nomination.....
12-04-2017
How long did it take from your ITA to getting PPR. I am a magistrate court judge and I hear government workers applications take up to 6 months for approval. I heard its premised on the fact that there are security check as to whether he/she is a spy

How true is this. Thank you

ElmTree said:
I may have an answer for you as I have also been a government university prof, and I am already in Canada right now. Are you employed at a Pakistani university? (guessing from your avatar)

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
hamiltondreamer said:
How long did it take from your ITA to getting PPR. I am a magistrate court judge and I hear government workers applications take up to 6 months for approval. I heard its premised on the fact that there are security check as to whether he/she is a spy

Everyone gets checked by CSIS and RCMP whether he or she is a spy and process time of EE is 6 months for everyone. The fact of previous experiences being a judge or high government officials could potentially spark interest in the officers but nothing special will happen if you haven't committed crime and corruptions. Perhaps the fact of judges is more publicly known could mean less chance of being mistaken with person in high risk watch list of the same name

ElmTree

Star Member
Dec 31, 2014
hamiltondreamer said:

This is above and beyond my paygrade, I'm afraid. Sorry can't help.

chente

Mar 1, 2017
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have hired a well known law firm in canada for immigration. And my case manager thinks Government position doesnt apply to my case. I personally think otherwise. I think I should once again get in touch with him on the issue.

Also, I like the LOE option. I think i should attach one when submitting the application. Thanks a lot for the suggestion.
Finally what you did? My wife is government officer (tourism office) and she selected that job as a government position, because i think is the way we should do it. I don't know about the NOC, but we went through OINP and never get a issue about her job.