+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can a Government Officer apply for Permanent Residence?

omarkhan

Oct 12, 2016
Pakistan
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Islamabad
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
11-08-2017
AOR Received.
11-08-2017
Passport Req..
08/09/2017
Dear all:

I am a lecturer in a government sector University, therefore technically a government officer. My passport also mention "Government Officer" againts Occupation. Can this be any problem with the VISA officer? Is it alright to be a government officer and apply for the immigration? Could the Visa officer ask me to get No objection certificate or something from the university?

omarkhan

Oct 12, 2016
Pakistan
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Islamabad
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
11-08-2017
AOR Received.
11-08-2017
Passport Req..
08/09/2017
Any suggestion guys?

omarkhan

Oct 12, 2016
Pakistan
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Islamabad
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
11-08-2017
AOR Received.
11-08-2017
Passport Req..
08/09/2017
chente said:
Now i am worried! I can get an NOC for a visit abroad easily, but not at all for permanent residence. Seems like I may be in a pickle! :-[

chente

Mar 1, 2017
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
omarkhan said:
Now i am worried! I can get an NOC for a visit abroad easily, but not at all for permanent residence. Seems like I may be in a pickle! :-[
But where you see that government officers can't immigrate to Canada?

omarkhan

Oct 12, 2016
Pakistan
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Islamabad
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
11-08-2017
AOR Received.
11-08-2017
Passport Req..
08/09/2017
chente said:
But where you see that government officers can't immigrate to Canada?
I am just being over cautious. Want to be prepared for everythinv well for the post ITA process. Because I saw the mention of government officer on my passport in the occupation section, i just felt a bit worried. If i am asked to submit an N.o.c from my department, that would be very difficult. I just hope they never bother about that, as I've not heard of a single such incident as yet. Just wantes to have suggestions on the forum too.

arrayofhope

Jan 14, 2017
CANADA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
07-06-2016
AOR Received.
18/05/2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
04-15-2017
omarkhan said:
I am just being over cautious. Want to be prepared for everythinv well for the post ITA process. Because I saw the mention of government officer on my passport in the occupation section, i just felt a bit worried. If i am asked to submit an N.o.c from my department, that would be very difficult. I just hope they never bother about that, as I've not heard of a single such incident as yet. Just wantes to have suggestions on the forum too.
If CIC asks for N.o.c from your department and they don't give it. You can simply write to CIC explaining the same.

Usually they only require police certificates to make sure you don't have a criminal history. Just because you work for the Government of your home country does not make you ineligible for PR. There is a specific section that asks about Government Positions held for applicants like you. They may do additional checks and verification, but I don't think they have any reason to refuse your application unless there are some serious security related issues.

You may or may not have some trouble getting reference letters for the time you worked at the University(but that's a different matter all together).

omarkhan

Oct 12, 2016
Pakistan
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Islamabad
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
11-08-2017
AOR Received.
11-08-2017
Passport Req..
08/09/2017
arrayofhope said:
If CIC asks for N.o.c from your department and they don't give it. You can simply write to CIC explaining the same.

Usually they only require police certificates to make sure you don't have a criminal history. Just because you work for the Government of your home country does not make you ineligible for PR. There is a specific section that asks about Government Positions held for applicants like you. They may do additional checks and verification, but I don't think they have any reason to refuse your application unless there are some serious security related issues.

You may or may not have some trouble getting reference letters for the time you worked at the University(but that's a different matter all together).
Reference letters are not at all an issue for me. In fact, I have informed my immediate boss, i.e. the chairman of my department. But if they asked for an N.O.C, that would be a problem because it is issued by the registrar of the university, and i have serious doubts he'll be able to do that for immigration purpose.

As for the section asking for any Government Positions held, my consultant said it doesnt apply in my case, as being working as government employee and holding a government position are two different things. I really dont see how, but thats what I was told. My confusion has further increased :-\

Maverick28

VIP Member
Feb 5, 2017
Canada
omarkhan said:
Reference letters are not at all an issue for me. In fact, I have informed my immediate boss, i.e. the chairman of my department. But if they asked for an N.O.C, that would be a problem because it is issued by the registrar of the university, and i have serious doubts he'll be able to do that for immigration purpose.

As for the section asking for any Government Positions held, my consultant said it doesnt apply in my case, as being working as government employee and holding a government position are two different things. I really dont see how, but thats what I was told. My confusion has further increased :-\
For the first time I kind of agree with a consultant. Working for government and having a government job are two different things. I am not sure whether you will need a N.O.C. or not.

This post might help you. According to the timeline of the poster, got Passport request in Jan 2016.
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/canada-pr-for-indian-government-employees-t277513.0.html

ElmTree

Star Member
Dec 31, 2014
I may have an answer for you as I have also been a government university prof, and I am already in Canada right now. Are you employed at a Pakistani university? (guessing from your avatar)

omarkhan

Oct 12, 2016
Pakistan
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Islamabad
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
11-08-2017
AOR Received.
11-08-2017
Passport Req..
08/09/2017
ElmTree said:
I may have an answer for you as I have also been a government university prof, and I am already in Canada right now. Are you employed at a Pakistani university? (guessing from your avatar)
Thats right. I am employed a public sector university in pakistan. And my passport clearly mentions me as a government officer. I'd be really grateful if you could help me appreciate my situation clearly. Thanks

omarkhan

Oct 12, 2016
Pakistan
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Islamabad
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
11-08-2017
AOR Received.
11-08-2017
Passport Req..
08/09/2017
Maverick28 said:
For the first time I kind of agree with a consultant. Working for government and having a government job are two different things. I am not sure whether you will need a N.O.C. or not.

This post might help you. According to the timeline of the poster, got Passport request in Jan 2016.
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/canada-pr-for-indian-government-employees-t277513.0.html
I hope that is so. Thanks for the threat link. Going through it.

omarkhan

Oct 12, 2016
Pakistan
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Islamabad
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
11-08-2017
AOR Received.
11-08-2017
Passport Req..
08/09/2017
Maverick28 said:

Just went through the thread. It was of great help. Thanks.

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
There is no rule that states government officials can't immigrate to Canada. You just need to declare as such in the forms.

omarkhan

Oct 12, 2016
Pakistan
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Islamabad
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
11-08-2017
AOR Received.
11-08-2017
Passport Req..
08/09/2017
mf4361 said:
There is no rule that states government officials can't immigrate to Canada. You just need to declare as such in the forms.
Thanks. Thats heartening to hear, and does make sense. What should I declare? That I am a government employee?