+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can a former refugee from another country applied for PR?

likelike123

Nov 22, 2022
Hi!
I was wondering if any of you can kindly give me some advice on my PR application? My husband used to apply for US refugee and granted his refugee status. However, he went back to his home country voluntarily due to his father's death. Since then, he never returned to the U.S. He did not have any criminal records. Would this immigration history from other countries jeopardize his Canadian PR application? He already disclosed this immigration history to the province and his has a provincial nominee. My concern is about his federal process as I did see the federal PR specifically asked for any refugee history.

Thank you very much!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi!
I was wondering if any of you can kindly give me some advice on my PR application? My husband used to apply for US refugee and granted his refugee status. However, he went back to his home country voluntarily due to his father's death. Since then, he never returned to the U.S. He did not have any criminal records. Would this immigration history from other countries jeopardize his Canadian PR application? He already disclosed this immigration history to the province and his has a provincial nominee. My concern is about his federal process as I did see the federal PR specifically asked for any refugee history.

Thank you very much!
He can apply for PR. There's no issue with his background.

likelike123

Nov 22, 2022
Why did he never return to the U.S. if America gave him refugee status....?
It is very complicated situation. He has to take care of his mother. His mother was not in a good shape. He also lost his returning documents, I assume it's called back to the US some sorts of documents. Also, one of the consultants kept telling him, without that documents, he would not be able to return to the US.

Do you think this previous immigration history jeopardize his current Canada PR process?

moscatojuices

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2022
It is very complicated situation. He has to take care of his mother. His mother was not in a good shape. He also lost his returning documents, I assume it's called back to the US some sorts of documents. Also, one of the consultants kept telling him, without that documents, he would not be able to return to the US.

Do you think this previous immigration history jeopardize his current Canada PR process?
I get the situation is complicated, but why is the solution migrating to Canada? I don't get it. There are people all over the world dying to have the chance to live in the US, and if your husband was granted refugee status by America then he has the opportunity to apply for PR there. Is he admitted as a refugee or does he have his PR?

Sounds to me like your consultant is a scammer who wants to make money out of you by scaring you and instead getting your husband to apply for PR in Canada. I find it very hard to believe that a person granted refugee status from the US would not be allowed to return to the US if they left.

I mean, you're going to just throw away what the U.S. gave you?

likelike123

Nov 22, 2022
He only granted his refugee status but he did not granted his green card. It's true that if you return to your home country, you might not be able to return to the US:( That consultant was irresponsible and he has already missed his chance. It's been too long.

Anyways, my only concern currently is about my PR process in Canada. In this case, what would you think of our PR process in Canada?

moscatojuices

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2022
He only granted his refugee status but he did not granted his green card. It's true that if you return to your home country, you might not be able to return to the US:( That consultant was irresponsible and he has already missed his chance. It's been too long.

Anyways, my only concern currently is about my PR process in Canada. In this case, what would you think of our PR process in Canada?
Under what program? How old is he? What's his education? What's his NOC? Have you calculated his CRS score?

Generally really the only way to jeopardize an immigration application in Canada is to lie on it or hide something. And of course, a criminal record or health issues. So he'll need to 100% disclose his asylum claim in the US and Canada may have questions about it, but as long as he didn't do anything wrong he should be okay to apply.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I get the situation is complicated, but why is the solution migrating to Canada? I don't get it. There are people all over the world dying to have the chance to live in the US, and if your husband was granted refugee status by America then he has the opportunity to apply for PR there. Is he admitted as a refugee or does he have his PR?

Sounds to me like your consultant is a scammer who wants to make money out of you by scaring you and instead getting your husband to apply for PR in Canada. I find it very hard to believe that a person granted refugee status from the US would not be allowed to return to the US if they left.

I mean, you're going to just throw away what the U.S. gave you?
Based on the OP's original post it sounds like this individual was accepted as a refugee but left before getting a green card. That abandons the case.

moscatojuices

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2022
Based on the OP's original post it sounds like this individual was accepted as a refugee but left before getting a green card. That abandons the case.
Getting a green card is the equivalent of winning the lottery and sometimes even more. My uncle waited 15 years for US PR and 21 years total for citizenship. Abandoning the case doesn't mean that an application wasn't made. Under IMM 5669 (background) there is a question that pertains to making previous claims for refugee protection whether successful, abandoned or refused. The applicant must disclose this.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Getting a green card is the equivalent of winning the lottery and sometimes even more. My uncle waited 15 years for US PR and 21 years total for citizenship. Abandoning the case doesn't mean that an application wasn't made. Under IMM 5669 (background) there is a question that pertains to making previous claims for refugee protection whether successful, abandoned or refused. The applicant must disclose this.
Yes, they need to mention this in the application. If they mention it, no issues.

likelike123

Nov 22, 2022
Correct. He abandoned his case as he never went to the court. He will for sure disclose it. When he applied for Student visa, there is no such question regarding to the refugee but the criminal records. I have checked all of his previous documents again, and there's no sign of disclosing previous immigration history. When we applied for our PNP, we also disclosed about the previous immigration history.

likelike123

Nov 22, 2022
Under what program? How old is he? What's his education? What's his NOC? Have you calculated his CRS score?

Generally really the only way to jeopardize an immigration application in Canada is to lie on it or hide something. And of course, a criminal record or health issues. So he'll need to 100% disclose his asylum claim in the US and Canada may have questions about it, but as long as he didn't do anything wrong he should be okay to apply.
He got his PNP already. He is NOC B. We were under the PNP program. He got a job. We also disclosed about his previous immigration during the PNP process and he still got his nominee certificate. We also got his police clearance from the U.S and there is no criminal records.

moscatojuices

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2022
He got his PNP already. He is NOC B. We were under the PNP program. He got a job. We also disclosed about his previous immigration during the PNP process and he still got his nominee certificate. We also got his police clearance from the U.S and there is no criminal records.
Would have been helpful if you included all those details in the beginning. If he already has his PNP and he's clearly been honest in his application, can't see what the issue is.

I must say I am flabbergasted as to why anyone would throw away their US residency. Makes me wonder if he'll do the same in Canada but your life.