+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can’t get a SIN.

zaid9199

Sep 28, 2020
Hello,
I recently returned to Canada on an expired PR with just my landing paper which was issued back in 2006, I was a child back then. Anyways, I tried applying for a SIN to be able to work but I couldn’t do that since I only have expired documents. So I applied for my PR renewal and as you know it is taking a very long time due to COVID. I am basically stuck without a job and can’t do anything until I get my SIN.

Is there any other way I can work legally even if it is just a work placement with no salary? Or can I contact IRCC to provide any temporary documents just to be able to apply for a SIN?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No, but you can find cash jobs that don't require SIN such as helping people to wash their cars, painting, plow snow and mow grass.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
No, but you can find cash jobs that don't require SIN such as helping people to wash their cars, painting, plow snow and mow grass.
Cash jobs that are not declared is ILLEGAL work and would not be suggesting that people work illegally in Canada.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,
I recently returned to Canada on an expired PR with just my landing paper which was issued back in 2006, I was a child back then. Anyways, I tried applying for a SIN to be able to work but I couldn’t do that since I only have expired documents. So I applied for my PR renewal and as you know it is taking a very long time due to COVID. I am basically stuck without a job and can’t do anything until I get my SIN.

Is there any other way I can work legally even if it is just a work placement with no salary? Or can I contact IRCC to provide any temporary documents just to be able to apply for a SIN?
Unfortunately there are consequences when you don’t meet your RO and manage to enter Canada. You will have to see if you do get approval of your PR based on H&C since it doesn’t sound Iike you’ve been in Canada for 2 years. Processing of H&C cases can take much longer than general PR card renewal for those who meet their RO. Unfortunately you likely don’t qualify for healthcare either. It’s unfortunate you didn’t research these things earlier. They were known hurdles. How old are you?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Cash jobs that are not declared is ILLEGAL work and would not be suggesting that people work illegally in Canada.
Seriously, do you ever check people's SIN before give them money for washing your car, mow your lawn, paint your fences, plow your snow? At the end of the day, it's the individual responsibilty to report those incomes to CRA.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Seriously, do you ever check people's SIN to give them washing your car, mow your lawn, paint your fences, plow your snow?
As a Canadian we should not be encourage tax avoidance. I trust that people are responsible enough to declare their cash income. I am not naive enough to believe that it doesn’t happen but I certainly don’t encourage people to work illegally knowing they don’t even have a SIN # or encourage tax fraud.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As a Canadian we should not be encourage tax avoidance. I trust that people are responsible enough to declare their cash income. I am not naive enough to believe that it doesn’t happen but I certainly don’t encourage people to work illegally knowing they don’t even have a SIN # or encourage tax fraud.
No one is encouraging tax avoidance. But do you check before giving them money? I have seen others doing the same. I never ask the homeless who offered to wipe my windshield his SIN!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
No one is encouraging tax avoidance. But do you check before giving them money? I have seen others doing the same. I never ask the homeless who offered to wipe my windshield his SIN!
I never give homeless people money I buy them a meal or a coffee but that would be considered charitable giving. Telling people to explore cash jobs while they don’t have a SIN is encouraging illegal work and tax avoidance.

Reactions: Mitya-kun

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I never give homeless people money I buy them a meal or a coffee but that would be considered charitable giving. Telling people to explore cash jobs while they don’t have a SIN is encouraging illegal work and tax avoidance.
That's not encouraging illegal work and tax avoidance. Many vendors accept cash. You and Mitya-kun probably don't go to farmer's market/fisherman's wharf and pay cash.

Last edited:

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
That's not encouraging illegal work and tax avoidance. Many vendors accept cash. You probably don't go to farmer's market/fisherman's wharf and pay cash.
Well, but that's not the same as working illegally. The people who paid may not be aware that OP is working illegally. But OP does. He shouldn't try to get cash that way. It's part of not meeting RO and entered under H&C review.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well, but that's not the same as working illegally. The people who paid may not be aware that OP is working illegally. But OP does. He shouldn't try to get cash that way. It's part of not meeting RO and entered under H&C review.
Right, that's not the same as working illegally. At least, the homeless get cash that way.

zaid9199

Sep 28, 2020
Unfortunately there are consequences when you don’t meet your RO and manage to enter Canada. You will have to see if you do get approval of your PR based on H&C since it doesn’t sound Iike you’ve been in Canada for 2 years. Processing of H&C cases can take much longer than general PR card renewal for those who meet their RO. Unfortunately you likely don’t qualify for healthcare either. It’s unfortunate you didn’t research these things earlier. They were known hurdles. How old are you?
I am 21 years now. Also, I already applied for renewal under H&C. Do you have an idea how long it might take?