+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Came to Canada with my husband who is a PR. Can my stay in Canada count for my PR ?

bvpr

Apr 4, 2022
Hi, I came to Canada in April 2022 along with my husband who is a PR. I have applied for PR under spousal sponsorship and got my PR in Jan 2023.

Will the count of number of days for my PR will start from Jan or will it start from April 2022.

Will my stay in Canada from April 2022 to December 2022 count for calculating the number of days I have stayed in Canada ?

I read some where that my stay in Canada before I got my PR will count at half a day for each day I stayed in Canada before I got PR.

Is this true ? I will appreciate comments from experienced boarders here. Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi, I came to Canada in April 2022 along with my husband who is a PR. I have applied for PR under spousal sponsorship and got my PR in Jan 2023.

Will the count of number of days for my PR will start from Jan or will it start from April 2022.

Will my stay in Canada from April 2022 to December 2022 count for calculating the number of days I have stayed in Canada ?

I read some where that my stay in Canada before I got my PR will count at half a day for each day I stayed in Canada before I got PR.

Is this true ? I will appreciate comments from experienced boarders here. Thanks
You are mixing up the PR residency obligation rules and the citizenship residency obligation rules. The two are different.

For the PR residency obligation (2 years every rolling 5 years), only the time after you became a PR counts. Pre-PR time cannot be counted.

For the citizenship residency obligation (3 years within the last 5 years), you can count time in Canada as a visitor before you became a PR. However each pre-PR day only gives you a 1/2 day credit and you can include up to 1 year of pre-PR time. This means that 2 out of the 3 years has to be post-PR.

Hope this makes sense.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Your rolling 5-year `clock' (for maintaining your PR status) started on the day you landed in January of this year. Not sure where you saw that days before becoming a PR count as half days, so I can't confirm that. Perhaps you are thinking about calculating days for Canadian Citizenship:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/grant/residence/calculate-physical-presence.html

Calculating residence/physical presence for applications received before June 11, 2015

For applications received before June 11, 2015, under paragraph 5(1)(c) of the Act, the applicant must have accumulated at least three years (1095 days) of residence in Canada within the four years immediately preceding the date the applicant signed the application.

• The calculation of residence cannot go beyond the four-year period before the date of application.
  • Each day of residence in Canada after lawful admission for permanent residence counts as one day.
  • Each day before lawful admission for permanent residence counts as one half day.
  • February 29 (leap day) is not counted in either presence or absence.
  • Either the day the applicant leaves Canada or the day they return is considered an absence, but not both. If the applicant leaves Canada and comes back the same day, it is not considered an absence.
  • Time spent serving a sentence and absences must be subtracted from the total number of days of residence during the four-year period.

bvpr

Apr 4, 2022
Thank you @scylla and @Ponga for the clarifications. I was confused between the requirements for PR maintenance and Citizenship requirements.