LANDED..........
JAN 2013

hmisabpk

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,
Any one from Calgary please post if any Jab fair up coming!! on this thread.

Thanks

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/thousands-thousands-thousands-jobs-in-toronto-upcoming-job-fairs-t83858.0.html

hmisabpk

AvayaLenovo

Star Member
Jul 27, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13Oct2009
Doc's Request.
10Dec2009
AOR Received.
09Apr2010
Med's Request
25Aug2010
Med's Done....
2Sep2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
7Oct2010
VISA ISSUED...
21Oct2010
LANDED..........
30Jun2011
viper said:
HI BZ mom,

I'm a Filipino too. We live in SE at New Brighton. It's a new community and my cousin and her family are my neighbors. We just arrived here from California just last Aug. 19th. Luckily, my hubby and I found work already and started working this week. I met a lot of Filipinos already at a Pinoy party last weekend.

Regards,

Viper
Hi Viper...and shoutout to all Filipinos in Calgary!

I'm also a Filipino and will be moving with my husband from Chicago. I hope you don't mind me asking what cargo/shipping company did you use to transfer your stuff from Cali, if you used one? Hope to meet you in the future! We'll be flying there this Oct 12 to apply for healthcard (since I'm pregnant and want to make sure that the process gets started soon) but will permanently move by end of November this year.

BZ Mom

Mar 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/10/2008
Nomination.....
06/01/2009
AOR Received.
19/08/2009
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Done....
28/12/2009
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
01/03/2010
VISA ISSUED...
20/04/2010
LANDED..........
27/11/2010
AvayaLenovo said:
Hi AvayaLenovo,

I also came from the US. I used ABF U-Pack to ship our stuff from VA to Calgary. At that time (October 2010), I paid them about $1500. I have also recommended this company to the other forum members and so far, they are satisfied with the service.

AvayaLenovo

Star Member
Jul 27, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13Oct2009
Doc's Request.
10Dec2009
AOR Received.
09Apr2010
Med's Request
25Aug2010
Med's Done....
2Sep2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
7Oct2010
VISA ISSUED...
21Oct2010
LANDED..........
30Jun2011
BZ Mom said:
AvayaLenovo said:
Hi AvayaLenovo,

I also came from the US. I used ABF U-Pack to ship our stuff from VA to Calgary. At that time (October 2010), I paid them about $1500. I have also recommended this company to the other forum members and so far, they are satisfied with the service.

Thanks much, BZMom. I will try inquiring from them. Nice to know that there are people in Calgary who were almost on the same boat as us. I saw that you are also from Accountant/Auditor category. Can you share any insight as to how the job market is for auditors currently? I am a CIA and CISA but only CPA in the Philippines (not US), my experience is partly financial audit but significant part is on IT consulting. Was it hard for you to find a job in the first few months? Thanks again!

BZ Mom

Mar 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/10/2008
Nomination.....
06/01/2009
AOR Received.
19/08/2009
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Done....
28/12/2009
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
01/03/2010
VISA ISSUED...
20/04/2010
LANDED..........
27/11/2010
AvayaLenovo said:
Thanks much, BZMom. I will try inquiring from them. Nice to know that there are people in Calgary who were almost on the same boat as us. I saw that you are also from Accountant/Auditor category. Can you share any insight as to how the job market is for auditors currently? I am a CIA and CISA but only CPA in the Philippines (not US), my experience is partly financial audit but significant part is on IT consulting. Was it hard for you to find a job in the first few months? Thanks again!
Hi AvayaLenovo,

Yup! I am also a CPA in the Philippines (not in US). I have not tried applying for jobs here as I am still doing online accounting work for my former US employer, full time. Out of curiosity, I attended a resume writing session for new immigrants here and based on what they say, we cannot call ourselves accountants here in Canada if we do not have a CGA, CMA or CA designation, thus I was told not to put Accountant in my resume, instead, use the term Accounting Professional. The counsellor even told me that I may not get the same pay level as what I am getting at present as a Senior Accountant if I get an accounting job without any Canadian designation, she told me that I might just be hired as a bookkeeper or as an accounting clerk. So I am planning to pursue any of these 3 designations just to be at par with the accountants here. But I guess, you might have a different case as CIA and CISA are internationally recognized certifications.

Are you landing in Calgary?

AvayaLenovo

Star Member
Jul 27, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13Oct2009
Doc's Request.
10Dec2009
AOR Received.
09Apr2010
Med's Request
25Aug2010
Med's Done....
2Sep2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
7Oct2010
VISA ISSUED...
21Oct2010
LANDED..........
30Jun2011
BZ Mom said:
Hi AvayaLenovo,

Yup! I am also a CPA in the Philippines (not in US). I have not tried applying for jobs here as I am still doing online accounting work for my former US employer, full time. Out of curiosity, I attended a resume writing session for new immigrants here and based on what they say, we cannot call ourselves accountants here in Canada if we do not have a CGA, CMA or CA designation, thus I was told not to put Accountant in my resume, instead, use the term Accounting Professional. The counsellor even told me that I may not get the same pay level as what I am getting at present as a Senior Accountant if I get an accounting job without any Canadian designation, she told me that I might just be hired as a bookkeeper or as an accounting clerk. So I am planning to pursue any of these 3 designations just to be at par with the accountants here. But I guess, you might have a different case as CIA and CISA are internationally recognized certifications.

Are you landing in Calgary?
We actually landed and did the formalities last June in Vancouver and came back to US after 4 days. But we now intend to live permanently in Calgary because of health insurance that starts at day 1. We'll be flying there on Oct 12 just to apply for bank account and health card and then go back again to US on Oct 16. We'll finally move by the end of November. Thanks for the tip regarding resume. I'll keep that in mind. I actually don't have experience in Accounting per se but more on Audit. I intend to pursue internal or IT audit, so hopefully that would be easier and wouldn't reuqire me to take further certifications. After going through 3 exams (with Phil CPA being the most difficult), I am literally tired of studying now... LOL! Hope to meet you in person in the future! You're lucky that you're still working with your US employer!

By the way, what bank would you recommend where we could put our savings and also open checking account? I'm quite confused that some cash withdrawals entail a fee??...I've looked at CIBC and Scotiabank. I'm leaning towards nationwide banks so I can transact even outside Alberta. THANK YOU!!!!

BZ Mom

Mar 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/10/2008
Nomination.....
06/01/2009
AOR Received.
19/08/2009
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Done....
28/12/2009
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
01/03/2010
VISA ISSUED...
20/04/2010
LANDED..........
27/11/2010
AvayaLenovo said:
By the way, what bank would you recommend where we could put our savings and also open checking account? I'm quite confused that some cash withdrawals entail a fee??...I've looked at CIBC and Scotiabank. I'm leaning towards nationwide banks so I can transact even outside Alberta. THANK YOU!!!!
Hi! Sorry for the delayed reply. I am banking with TD Bank. I have a TD Bank account in the US where my paychecks are credited and I withdraw the money from the TD Canada Trust Bank here in Calgary. There are no charges for the ATM withdrawals, you just lose if the CDN$ exchange rate is higher than the US$ but if it's lower, you also gain :) Also, there is a withdrawal limit of only $500 or $700 I think (can't remember) per day. so I negotiated with TD Bank (US) to give me a higher withdrawal limit, and they allowed $1,000. You have to tell them that you are moving to Canada and give them your Canada address.
You can PM me for any other questions that you have. Hope to see you here.....

SamDhaka

Dec 29, 2010
Dhaka
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
1122/8222
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nov 17, 2010
AOR Received.
PER: Feb 25, 2011; AOR: Mar 24, 2011
Med's Request
Jun 30, 2011
Med's Done....
Jul 16, 2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Aug 16, 2011
VISA ISSUED...
Sept 19, 2011
Can somebody pls guide me on getting rent of an 1 bed room apartment in calgary near the subway/sky train/ central bus stand as we won't b able to get a car for couple of months upon arrival there. which places i should search for renting the apartment? thanks in advance!

BZ Mom

Mar 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/10/2008
Nomination.....
06/01/2009
AOR Received.
19/08/2009
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Done....
28/12/2009
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
01/03/2010
VISA ISSUED...
20/04/2010
LANDED..........
27/11/2010
SamDhaka said:
Can somebody pls guide me on getting rent of an 1 bed room apartment in calgary near the subway/sky train/ central bus stand as we won't b able to get a car for couple of months upon arrival there. which places i should search for renting the apartment? thanks in advance!
try rentfaster.ca

nurse_angel

Star Member
Aug 15, 2011
Philippines
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila V.O.
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
Feb. 2011
File Transfer...
Feb 2011
Med's Request
April 2011
Med's Done....
May 2011
Passport Req..
June 2011
VISA ISSUED...
Aug 2011
Hi anyone here who's Calgary bound? August ko pa na received visa ko but i don't have relatives in Calgary. I don't know where to stay. Sana may mkasabay ako na makashare na rin sa apartment or room. I'm 42 female at ako lng mag isa ang mgmamigrate. I plan to go march next year. Or maybe may nauna na dyan sa Calgary who would want to share an apartment. Please message me sa email ad ko superangelph2002@yahoo.com. We can arrange things in skype if nasa Calgary na po kayo. Ty po!

AvayaLenovo

Star Member
Jul 27, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13Oct2009
Doc's Request.
10Dec2009
AOR Received.
09Apr2010
Med's Request
25Aug2010
Med's Done....
2Sep2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
7Oct2010
VISA ISSUED...
21Oct2010
LANDED..........
30Jun2011
Hello everyone,
After landing in June this year, we will finally be moving our stuff by the end of November to Calgary, AB. My husband and I will travel via air and will carry some of our smaller stuff (i.e. clothes, electronics, jewelries) with us. Our furnitures on the other hand, will be shipped via a moving company (i.e. U-Pack) from Chicago, IL (USA).

So my question is, should we make a copy of the "List of goods to follow" that was stamped during our initial landing since we will also be bringing some of our stuff with us and just leave the original with the moving company? Wouldn't they look for the original? My concern is how would they know that none of the things in the list was brought in in duplicate, how can they keep track of the list?

Thanks to anyone who could help.

BZ Mom

Mar 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/10/2008
Nomination.....
06/01/2009
AOR Received.
19/08/2009
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Done....
28/12/2009
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
01/03/2010
VISA ISSUED...
20/04/2010
LANDED..........
27/11/2010
AvayaLenovo said:
Hello everyone,
After landing in June this year, we will finally be moving our stuff by the end of November to Calgary, AB. My husband and I will travel via air and will carry some of our smaller stuff (i.e. clothes, electronics, jewelries) with us. Our furnitures on the other hand, will be shipped via a moving company (i.e. U-Pack) from Chicago, IL (USA).

So my question is, should we make a copy of the "List of goods to follow" that was stamped during our initial landing since we will also be bringing some of our stuff with us and just leave the original with the moving company? Wouldn't they look for the original? My concern is how would they know that none of the things in the list was brought in in duplicate, how can they keep track of the list?

Thanks to anyone who could help.
Ask U-Pack if they need the original, if no then you can give them a copy. If yes, then give them the original. Have your copy acknowledged by the U-Pack representative. You can explain the situation better with the customs in the airport and besides you have documents from U-Pack to prove that you shipped the rest of the good to follow. When the shipment arrives in Calgary, you will personally present the List of Goods to the Customs in Calgary and the custom officers will interview you. You will coordinate with the U-Pack representatives in Calgary on how to go about this.

Hope this helps.

ItsBeenLongNow

Champion Member
Nov 26, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi there,

are the survival jobs in abundance in Calagary for new immigrant
what are the odds of finding one within a month time form first landing
i appreciate your help and response, thanks.

EMO

Champion Member
Sep 9, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-02-2013
ItsBeenLongNow said:
Hi there,

are the survival jobs in abundance in Calagary for new immigrant
what are the odds of finding one within a month time form first landing
i appreciate your help and response, thanks.

What is you NOC? why Survival Job?