+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Calculating work experience for a teacher ?

istari

Champion Member
Jul 5, 2016
Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,
I'm hoping someone can help me understand how to calculate my work experience.
I'm an elementary school and kindergarten teacher (NOC 4032).
As such, I can only possibly be working in my NOC during school time (40 weeks per year), so there is necessarily a gap of about 5 weeks in between every school year.
If I finish a contract at school A at the end of a school year, and start a new contract at school B before the beginning of the next school year (without missing any days of work), does this count as continuous ?

Thanks.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
istari said:
I'm an elementary school and kindergarten teacher (NOC 4032).
As such, I can only possibly be working in my NOC during school time (40 weeks per year), so there is necessarily a gap of about 5 weeks in between every school year.

1 year = 52 weeks; you account for 45 weeks, what about the other 7 weeks?

If I finish a contract at school A at the end of a school year, and start a new contract at school B before the beginning of the next school year (without missing any days of work), does this count as continuous ?

The academic year is quite normal for your occupation. It would depend a lot on what your employer writes in your letter of employment, e.g. "Istari has been employed as an elementary and kindergarten teacher from DATE to present on renewable annual contracts, and works 40 hours per week for the academic year (September - June)." That would be quite acceptable as "continuous", I think.

I would suggest deducting the weeks you don't work when calculating your total experience, tho. For example, say you work 2 calendar years, that's a combined total of 80 weeks, the equivalent of 1.5 years of work.

If you're talking about in-Canada experience, then it doesn't need to be continuous anyway.

istari

Champion Member
Jul 5, 2016
Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks.

The other 7 weeks is taken up by shorter holidays throughout the year (2 weeks each in autumn and spring, 3 weeks in winter). I knew these shorter breaks wouldn't effect continuity, but I wasn't sure about changing jobs between years (meaning that I was technically not employed for about 1 month during a period when I couldn't possibly be working anyway).

I'm definitely planning to only count my 40 work weeks in my experience.
And no, it's not in-Canada experience.

Thanks again.

James_bk_fun

Star Member
Mar 3, 2019
If you were a full time employee of the schools and being paid the whole time (even between school years), i’d say it’s continuous, no question.

With it being contracts that terminate and then you’re technically between jobs, I’d say not continuous.

It’s a difficult one to decide though. You’re in the same profession the whole time, that’s continuous. But your employment sounds like it isn’t.

Someone here is bound to have direct experience with this though

jiangx8

Nov 2, 2020
Hello, I am hoping to apply for FSW as a teacher and I am just wondering how it turned out for you. Were you able to count your experience as continuous employment?

Bella00

Nov 11, 2020
Hello, I am hoping to apply for FSW as a teacher and I am just wondering how it turned out for you. Were you able to count your experience as continuous employment?
Hi looking for the same answer. Is there any clarification for this?
Any advice would be really helpful.
Thanks