+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Calculating total work experience for CRS and FSW

noc2132

Nov 28, 2019
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Hi,

I graduated with a Master's in Mechanical Engineering in May 2016 (US). I started working as a Product Development Intern in Feb 2017. I have since transitioned to Associate Design Engineer (starting Oct 2017) and then to Design Engineer (starting Mar 2018) all within the same company (US). I currently work at the same place under the Design Engineer title and I have never had any breaks in employment.

I have a few questions about entering my work experience in my Express Entry Profile.

1) Most of the duties I performed as an intern would fall under NOC2132 (which is the same noc for my other two titles) and I was on OPT during this period. It was a paid internship and I was a full-time employee working at least 40 hours a week. Would this work experience count towards my CRS score?

2) I was still on OPT the entire time I was working as an Associate Design Engineer. This was also a paid full-time position and falls under NOC2132. Would this work experience count towards my CRS score as well?

3) I was still on OPT when I transitioned to the Design Engineer role in Mar 2018. I got my H1B approved in Oct 2018 and got it stamped in Dec 2018. Since I have been working continuously for more than one year in my latest job title, this work experience is eligible for FSW right? Or does being on OPT impact the days between Mar and Oct/Dec 2018? I have already created my Express Entry profile, but I just wanted to make sure that I am not submitting any misinformation.

4) If all three of my above listed work experiences could be counted towards my CRS score, wouldn't I theoretically have fulfilled 3 years of work experience by Feb 2020? That would give me an additional 25 points around the end of Feb 2020 right?

Thanks to anyone taking the time to respond to this. I assumed that my internship wouldn't count towards my CRS score, so I left it out in my Express Entry profile. I wanted to clarify things before I add it to my profile.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
1. Yes. Paid internships will count towards work experience. As you said, you were effectively a full-time employee with the title of intern. That counts.
2. Yes it will
3. Yes, it counts. OPT/H1 status doesn't affect anything.

And yes, you will have three years of work experience by Feb 2020.

Reactions: noc2132

noc2132

Nov 28, 2019
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
1. Yes. Paid internships will count towards work experience. As you said, you were effectively a full-time employee with the title of intern. That counts.
2. Yes it will
3. Yes, it counts. OPT/H1 status doesn't affect anything.

And yes, you will have three years of work experience by Feb 2020.
@21Goose Thank you so much for your quick response! I have been trying to find answers to these questions for a few days, and you just made my day. I can't thank you enough for this!!

I have one more quick question if you don't mind. I was just reading through this thread https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/do-paid-internships-count-in-express-entry-fsw.286538/page-6 and they mention that there might be some discrepancies between how EE score is calculated based on employment months, but once you submit your application they count employment days.

My internship started on Feb 20, 2017. Would this be a problem if I get an ITA in the beginning of Feb 2020? Thanks again!!!

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
@21Goose Thank you so much for your quick response! I have been trying to find answers to these questions for a few days, and you just made my day. I can't thank you enough for this!!

I have one more quick question if you don't mind. I was just reading through this thread https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/do-paid-internships-count-in-express-entry-fsw.286538/page-6 and they mention that there might be some discrepancies between how EE score is calculated based on employment months, but once you submit your application they count employment days.

My internship started on Feb 20, 2017. Would this be a problem if I get an ITA in the beginning of Feb 2020? Thanks again!!!
In general, you need to only accept an ITA when you KNOW you meet the requirements. If you aren't certain, you have to refuse the ITA, re-enter the pool, and wait to get invited after you meet the requirements.

That being said, there are certainly many cases where the officer didn't really care about 5-10 days to three years. It does depend a little. Personally, I would just wait for the next invite if I had more than 470 points. If you feel that the first ITA is your only chance, then go for it.

noc2132

Nov 28, 2019
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
In general, you need to only accept an ITA when you KNOW you meet the requirements. If you aren't certain, you have to refuse the ITA, re-enter the pool, and wait to get invited after you meet the requirements.

That being said, there are certainly many cases where the officer didn't really care about 5-10 days to three years. It does depend a little. Personally, I would just wait for the next invite if I had more than 470 points. If you feel that the first ITA is your only chance, then go for it.
Thank you! That's a good idea. I didn't know you could do that. Can I also change my EE profile to say that my internship started in March 2017, and wait until after Feb 20, 2020 and change it back to Feb 2017? Would there be any repercussions from changing my work experience dates in my EE profile?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Thank you! That's a good idea. I didn't know you could do that. Can I also change my EE profile to say that my internship started in March 2017, and wait until after Feb 20, 2020 and change it back to Feb 2017? Would there be any repercussions from changing my work experience dates in my EE profile?
That's not a good idea. Always tell the truth in anything immigration related - if your internship started in Feb, say that.

Otherwise, you'll end up with issues when you have to submit the letters from work. All the dates have to match. Don't raise red flags by messing around with your dates. Keep everything simple, especially when you're worrying about the theoretical possibility of getting an ITA a few days before you're eligible for it.

Wait till it happens and then worry. As I said, it's really not a big deal if it's just a few days short.

noc2132

Nov 28, 2019
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
That's not a good idea. Always tell the truth in anything immigration related - if your internship started in Feb, say that.

Otherwise, you'll end up with issues when you have to submit the letters from work. All the dates have to match. Don't raise red flags by messing around with your dates. Keep everything simple, especially when you're worrying about the theoretical possibility of getting an ITA a few days before you're eligible for it.

Wait till it happens and then worry. As I said, it's really not a big deal if it's just a few days short.
That makes perfect sense! Thank you so much for all your help!!

smethani

Sep 11, 2019
Hi, I have previously worked with ICICI pru Life and i wanted to know if IRDA licence will be necessary to produce under the NOC code 6231-Insurance Agents and Brokers? Please let me know if someone can help me, i have been trying hard to find out info on this.

MzNeka

Nov 26, 2019
Nigeria
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
@21Goose please can you help me out here
My work experience goes like this.
Feb 2017 - Feb 2018
May 2018 - March 2019
April 2019 - July 2019
September 2019 - present.
So i was telling someone that by Feb 2020 i should have 3years experience, the person said No that because of the gap in between jobs, it doesn't count as 3years. Please how true is this? I am confused.
Thank you