+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Calculating skill transferability points

irosha

Star Member
Oct 2, 2014
Hi ,
Thanks for your response. I have no Canadian work experience but a total of 12 years foreign work . My english (IELTS) scores are as below : S 8, L 8, R 7, W 8
I dont have an ECA yet , its still on process.at the moment I'm trying to determine what my CRS score might be to gauge my chances .
I'm a bit confused as each of these tools arrive at different numbers and the disparity seem to be in skill transferability where Canada visa awards 25 points and the cic tools awards 50.
pls clarify if possible.
Many Thanks

irosha

Star Member
Oct 2, 2014
Thank you so much for the clarification.
but what about the breakdown of points where they state that in order to score 50 points for language + Education one must have obtained "Two or more post-secondary program credentials AND at least one of these credentials was issued on completion of a post-secondary program of three years or longer" as well as score CLB 9 for each band in English.
Will this be a problem as I only have a Masters and as such may not fulfill the criteria of Two or more post-secondary program credentials AND at least one of these credentials was issued on completion of a post-secondary program of three years or longer

irosha

Star Member
Oct 2, 2014
thank you so much ! that's good news !
did you mean you didnt have a bachelors either?
fingers crossed !

mtalwar18

Star Member
Jul 10, 2017
Toronto
According to me, yes you may require ECA for bachelor and master as you are claiming points based on your bachelors....I am in the same boat....I got my bachelor evaluated and my masters is from Canada itself...
Hi mate,
"Under skills transferability factor- education+IELTS"-
- I have BCA (from India) + MIT (from Australia), do I need to get ECA for both to get points under "two or more post-secondary education and one has to be 3 years".
- My BCA was a 3years program.
- I have more than CLB7 in 2 modules of IELTS.

I am sure highest degree in the "education" CRS will be ok if I get only Masters ECA done.

Am so confused. Please someone advise.

Thank you.

ramanan1986

Oct 26, 2017
All your IELTS scores equate to CLB 9+. Provided your Master's will be evaluated as equivalent to a Canadian Master's, you will receive 50 points under skill transferability - education.

With more than 3 years in foreign experience and CLB 9+, you will also receive 50 points under skill transferability - foreign work experience.

So in total, you will receive the maximum of 100 points under skill transferability.

Check CRS – C. Skill transferability factors under this link:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/express-entry/grid-crs.asp
All your IELTS scores equate to CLB 9+. Provided your Master's will be evaluated as equivalent to a Canadian Master's, you will receive 50 points under skill transferability - education.

With more than 3 years in foreign experience and CLB 9+, you will also receive 50 points under skill transferability - foreign work experience.

So in total, you will receive the maximum of 100 points under skill transferability.

Check CRS – C. Skill transferability factors under this link:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/express-entry/grid-crs.asp
Hi Dan, how did you determine that the IELTS scores equate to CLB 9+ (in each language ability)? I came across the CLB to IELTS calculator on IELTS website but that only helps determine the overall CLB I believe.