+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CACB for architects

ahkin

May 20, 2018
Dear all,

I have heard some people get provisional status from CACB regarding their architecture certificates instead of a full acceptance. What could be the reasons for that?

Thanks in advance.

skape7

Apr 24, 2017
This is a very late response, but I hope this could help others. For Academic Certification (Foreign architecture credentials), the CACB requires your architectural education to meet a minimum number of hours for every category identified by them. These categories include General Education, Knowledge of Profession, Technical Systems etc...If a Candidate meets the requirement of most categories, but is deficient in say, one category - then a provisional certificate is issued. The deficiency is highlighted and the Candidate is asked to take additional courses to overcome it. Once the Candidate completes such courses, satisfies the technical requirement and sends the CACB a transcript of the course, then the CACB issues a final certificate for equivalence to a Canadian Architectural degree.

aleenaah

Jun 22, 2020
This is a very late response, but I hope this could help others. For Academic Certification (Foreign architecture credentials), the CACB requires your architectural education to meet a minimum number of hours for every category identified by them. These categories include General Education, Knowledge of Profession, Technical Systems etc...If a Candidate meets the requirement of most categories, but is deficient in say, one category - then a provisional certificate is issued. The deficiency is highlighted and the Candidate is asked to take additional courses to overcome it. Once the Candidate completes such courses, satisfies the technical requirement and sends the CACB a transcript of the course, then the CACB issues a final certificate for equivalence to a Canadian Architectural degree.
Thank you for this reply. Will one require to take the course in Canada or in the country where the degree is originally issued ?

aleenaah

Jun 22, 2020
Also, can the immigration process move forward based on the provisional status ?

skape7

Apr 24, 2017
Thank you for this reply. Will one require to take the course in Canada or in the country where the degree is originally issued ?
When CACB offers a conditional approval, it shall specify the gaps in your professional education and provide you with a 'referral' (usually through RAIC syllabus). If the Candidate chooses equivalent courses, then they are required to identify the courses and contact CACB for approval prior to commencing them. Hence, this would indirectly imply that the courses be taken in Canada.
If you identify the gaps in your education prior to you submitting you application, you could take those subjects as electives and earn credits for them in your home country. So when you do submit your academic certification application, you could include the information of your degree course, along with the additional credits for consideration by the CACB. From there on, the CACB shall decide if any deficiencies remain in your overall professional education.

Reactions: aleenaah

skape7

Apr 24, 2017
Also, can the immigration process move forward based on the provisional status ?
For regulated professions (such as Architects), the Federal immigration program (Express Entry) does not require a certificate from either the agency that conducts professional education assessment (such as the CACB for Architects). A WES certificate, showing that your foreign credential is equivalent to a Canadian degree, is adequate. To reiterate - you only need to submit a WES assessment certificate along with your Express Entry application.

However, if you are applying for a specific provincial program, such as Saskatchewan Immigrant Nominee Program, then you are required to submit either the CACB assessment of your degree or the invitation for stage 2 of 'Broadly Experienced Foreign Architect' application.

Reactions: aleenaah

aleenaah

Jun 22, 2020
When CACB offers a conditional approval, it shall specify the gaps in your professional education and provide you with a 'referral' (usually through RAIC syllabus). If the Candidate chooses equivalent courses, then they are required to identify the courses and contact CACB for approval prior to commencing them. Hence, this would indirectly imply that the courses be taken in Canada.
If you identify the gaps in your education prior to you submitting you application, you could take those subjects as electives and earn credits for them in your home country. So when you do submit your academic certification application, you could include the information of your degree course, along with the additional credits for consideration by the CACB. From there on, the CACB shall decide if any deficiencies remain in your overall professional education.
For regulated professions (such as Architects), the Federal immigration program (Express Entry) does not require a certificate from either the agency that conducts professional education assessment (such as the CACB for Architects). A WES certificate, showing that your foreign credential is equivalent to a Canadian degree, is adequate. To reiterate - you only need to submit a WES assessment certificate along with your Express Entry application.

However, if you are applying for a specific provincial program, such as Saskatchewan Immigrant Nominee Program, then you are required to submit either the CACB assessment of your degree or the invitation for stage 2 of 'Broadly Experienced Foreign Architect' application.
7) Do you have a certificate of qualification from a Canadian province, territory or federal body?
Note: A certificate of qualification lets people work in some skilled trades in Canada. Only the provinces, territories and a federal body can issue these certificates. To get one, a person must have them assess their training, trade experience and skills to and then pass a certification exam.
People usually have to go to the province or territory to be assessed. They may also need experience and training from an employer in Canada.
This isn’t the same as a nomination from a province or territory

If i say YES to this while calculating my CRS score, I get awarded 25 points. That changes the whole game for me.

But I am unsure about whether this means a CACB accreditation or the actual license attained after CACB certification, internship and exam ? :(

sunny shah

Jan 4, 2021
Hello,
if we verify our education in WES through “ course by course “ evaluation do we need to do the CACB academic certification process ?

aleenaah

Jun 22, 2020
Hello,
if we verify our education in WES through “ course by course “ evaluation do we need to do the CACB academic certification process ?
I wasn't aware that this was a route one could take. CACB is the licensing authority for architects in Canada, like COA in India, from what i can tell. Not sure if WES can do the same thing ? WES will conclude if your degree is credible, not how your curriculum compares to that in Canada for the same degree.

Reactions: sunny shah