+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BWOP

KereneMe

Mar 31, 2023
Hi I need some advice. My brother got nominated through the Alberta province and sent in his application for PR which is at the final stage. He had also applied to extend his work permit back in June and we kept calling immigration and checked online and there was no status update on the extension. Today March 30, finally got through to immigration and was told that his extension was refused and a letter was mailed out on December 4, to which we never received. Now the 90 days restoration has passed and we are not sure what to do. Can some give us some advice please?

moscatojuices

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2022
Hi I need some advice. My brother got nominated through the Alberta province and sent in his application for PR which is at the final stage. He had also applied to extend his work permit back in June and we kept calling immigration and checked online and there was no status update on the extension. Today March 30, finally got through to immigration and was told that his extension was refused and a letter was mailed out on December 4, to which we never received. Now the 90 days restoration has passed and we are not sure what to do. Can some give us some advice please?
So when did his permit expire exactly? And when did he keep working till, or is he still working? I think the first thing you need to do is stop working.

KereneMe

Mar 31, 2023
He stopped working yesterday when we were told by immigration also his permit expired back in June.

moscatojuices

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2022
He stopped working yesterday when we were told by immigration also his permit expired back in June.
That's good, unfortunately it would appear the case that he is staying illegally in Canada if the restoration period was passed. However, he couldn't have known if you never received the letter. Is he sure they supplied the right address in the application?

@scylla what should happen here?

KereneMe

Mar 31, 2023
yes they even repeated the address and it is correct but nothing arrived in the mail. Now we don’t know what to do now.

moscatojuices

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2022
yes they even repeated the address and it is correct but nothing arrived in the mail. Now we don’t know what to do now.
Let's wait for some seniors to respond - this is not a good situation. Looping in @Naturgrl

I can't find any solution to what happens if a foreign worker with an expired permit has stayed past their 90 day restoration period.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Get professional advice like an immigration lawyer. He has worked and lived illegally in Canada since December. And person is still here illegally. Do not know options other than to leave Canada.

moscatojuices

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2022
To be honest I don't know if you can trust a lawyer or get a good one quickly enough. This is a bad situation. I think IRCC call agents are also not the right people to talk to about this.

I would personally consider leaving Canada immediately, and then re-enter as a visitor. I would document and collect documents of your whole experience, and explain the matter to the CBSA upon re-entry. If you never received the letter, it's hardly your fault, so I can only hope they're sympathetic and give you authorization to re-enter as a visitor on the basis you have satisfied an officer that you never intended to stay in Canada illegally, that you left as soon as you were aware, and that you produced evidence that on the basis of probability an error occurred in the postal system. CBSA and IRCC could potentially work this out at a Port of Entry. Plus the progress of your PR application works in your favor.

There are times that I haven't received important documents myself due to postal issues - and I know our own Canada Post people barely check the addresses on their letters and put them in vacant houses down the street....

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
To be honest I don't know if you can trust a lawyer or get a good one quickly enough. This is a bad situation. I think IRCC call agents are also not the right people to talk to about this.

I would personally consider leaving Canada immediately, and then re-enter as a visitor. I would document and collect documents of your whole experience, and explain the matter to the CBSA upon re-entry. If you never received the letter, it's hardly your fault, so I can only hope they're sympathetic and give you authorization to re-enter as a visitor on the basis you have satisfied an officer that you never intended to stay in Canada illegally, that you left as soon as you were aware, and that you produced evidence that on the basis of probability an error occurred in the postal system. CBSA and IRCC could potentially work this out at a Port of Entry. Plus the progress of your PR application works in your favor.

There are times that I haven't received important documents myself due to postal issues - and I know our own Canada Post people barely check the addresses on their letters and put them in vacant houses down the street....
Does OP even have a TRV to re-enter? Again returning immediately after such a long over stay and illegal work, not sure CBSA would let OP enter. PR application may be approved before that. Was the nomination based on a job offer?

moscatojuices

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2022
Does OP even have a TRV to re-enter? Again returning immediately after such a long over stay and illegal work, not sure CBSA would let OP enter. PR application may be approved before that. Was the nomination based on a job offer?
Unless it's done by land? What I'm suggesting is to flag-pole, but be prepared for rejection and to fly out of the U.S, and of course, you need the visa for the U.S.!

Expired temporary resident visa

• You can request to return to Canada on your original temporary resident visa, even if it is expired, if:
    • you will only visit the U.S. or St. Pierre and Miquelon; and
    • you will return to Canada before the end of your approved stay in Canada.
An officer will confirm whether you meet all the requirements before allowing you to come back to Canada. If you visit any country other than those listed above, you will need a new temporary resident visa.

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=527