+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BVO-divorce certificate

Summor

Aug 24, 2017
Hello,
Please I need your help.
Bucharest VO is requesting more details about my husband’s previous marriage.
My husband was previously married,he got divorced back in 2012,his ex wife did the whole thing back in the US,she didn't provide him with the divorce certificate, and he lost contact with his ex wife since then.
We are thinking of writing a letter which explains the exact situation.
Has anybody a sample letter that explains why he cannot provide a divorce certificate.
Thanks a lot in advance.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Letter most likely won't be enough. IRCC will require the divorce certificate and want proof of your husband's divorce - and that the divorce was official prior to marrying you. Has he made any effort at all to obtain evidence of the divorce himself? This information is publicly accessible in the US as I understand it and I don't believe this is that hard to do. Would suggest trying sites like this one to start:
https://www.searchquarry.com/namesearch/divorce-records-lookup/

Once you know which court processed the divorce, your husband should be able to obtain the certificate himself.

Reactions: Summor

Summor

Aug 24, 2017
Thanks for your reply.
BVO is not asking to provide divorce certificate.
Below is a part of the email:

This is in reference to your application for permanent residence in Canada. In order for us to continue the processing of your application, we require the following documents:

- Full details of your previous wife such as: name, surname, date of birth, country of birth, nationality.

- Date and place of your marriage with your previous wife

- Date and place of the divorce from your previous wife

- Detailed explanation on why you cannot provide the divorce certificate from your previous wife.

Thanks.
-—-—-———————-—–—–—–———–
Letter most likely won't be enough. IRCC will require the divorce certificate and want proof of your husband's divorce - and that the divorce was official prior to marrying you. Has he made any effort at all to obtain evidence of the divorce himself? This information is publicly accessible in the US as I understand it and I don't believe this is that hard to do. Would suggest trying sites like this one to start:
https://www.searchquarry.com/namesearch/divorce-records-lookup/

Once you know which court processed the divorce, your husband should be able to obtain the certificate himself.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Got it. I still think you'll have your work cut out for you to explain why you can't get the divorce certificate. I think that's relatively easy when the US is involved since this data is public. What has your husband done to try to obtain the certificate?

My husband had to provide a letter of explanation for one specific PCC he was unable to obtain as part of his PR application. To make the case, we provided an explanation of why - and also supplied evidence of everything we had done to attempt to get one (this involved contacting multiple embassies / consulates in several countries over the course of several months). I would make the same recommendation to you. Since there's a mandatory document you can't provide, I'd recommend you supply proof of what you've done / who you've contacted to try to get one.

Reactions: canuck_in_uk

mrs_december

Star Member
Jun 10, 2017
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
03-05-2018
AOR Received.
09-06-2018
File Transfer...
26-06-2018
Med's Request
18-06-2018
Med's Done....
06-07-2018
Passport Req..
22-08-2018
VISA ISSUED...
29-08-2018
LANDED..........
02-09-2018
How were you able to obtain a marriage license if you could not prove with documentation that your husband's previous marriage was ended in a divorce?

BVO might be asking you to prove why you can't obtain it, but I think it might be prudent for you to attempt to track down a way to obtain the divorce decree and then document your attempts. The CIC is going to want to see some very concrete evidence as to why you can't provide this fundamental document.

Reactions: Summor and scylla

Summor

Aug 24, 2017
Thanks for ur reply.
For the last few days,we where trying to reach anyone who has contact with my husband’s previous wife,through social media,finally,we found her brother’s facebook account and my husband sent him a message asking him to provide us with the divorce decree,as obvious,he read the message but with no response till now.

We came out with this idea,we searched the web looking for the court where the divorce had happened,we entered my husband's previous wife's name and my husband name,and there it is,the whole details about the divorce.

My question is,will that be enough to the BVO agent? Will he be convinced?also we will write a letter explaining the whole situation.
Or we should keep trying to write to my husband’s previous wife family until we get the hard copy of the divorce decree

Please help.

———————————————————
How were you able to obtain a marriage license if you could not prove with documentation that your husband's previous marriage was ended in a divorce?

BVO might be asking you to prove why you can't obtain it, but I think it might be prudent for you to attempt to track down a way to obtain the divorce decree and then document your attempts. The CIC is going to want to see some very concrete evidence as to why you can't provide this fundamental document.
Tha

mrs_december

Star Member
Jun 10, 2017
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
03-05-2018
AOR Received.
09-06-2018
File Transfer...
26-06-2018
Med's Request
18-06-2018
Med's Done....
06-07-2018
Passport Req..
22-08-2018
VISA ISSUED...
29-08-2018
LANDED..........
02-09-2018
Thanks for ur reply.
For the last few days,we where trying to reach anyone who has contact with my husband’s previous wife,through social media,finally,we found her brother’s facebook account and my husband sent him a message asking him to provide us with the divorce decree,as obvious,he read the message but with no response till now.

We came out with this idea,we searched the web looking for the court where the divorce had happened,we entered my husband's previous wife's name and my husband name,and there it is,the whole details about the divorce.

My question is,will that be enough to the BVO agent? Will he be convinced?also we will write a letter explaining the whole situation.
Or we should keep trying to write to my husband’s previous wife family until we get the hard copy of the divorce decree

Please help.

———————————————————

Tha
If you know the court that handled the divorce, you can contact them to obtain a copy of the decree. This is easily done with a small fee. Your husband needs to contact the court and find out what he needs to do to order the paperwork.

Reactions: Summor

Summor

Aug 24, 2017
Yeah,we found a clerk who works there.
My husband will contact the court.

Thanks for your reply.
Apperciate your help.

If you know the court that handled the divorce, you can contact them to obtain a copy of the decree. This is easily done with a small fee. Your husband needs to contact the court and find out what he needs to do to order the paperwork.