+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Buying real estate property

zoozi77

Star Member
Aug 28, 2017
Toronto
Hello fellows
Happy new year
I would like to ask if a protected person is entitled to buy a house or vacant land before obtaining the permanent residence status
Thank you in advance

sss12345

Star Member
Dec 13, 2017
Hello fellows
Happy new year
I would like to ask if a protected person is entitled to buy a house or vacant land before obtaining the permanent residence status
Thank you in advance
Hey there!
Yes of course you are entitled to buy a house/land. Even non residents are allowed to buy a house. Securing a mortgage might be a bit tricky though, if you're planning on applying for one.
Good luck!

zoozi77

Star Member
Aug 28, 2017
Toronto
Thank you for your responses
I need to make an authentication by Canadian foreigner affair then legalize the documents in home country embassy in order to give power of attorney to someone back home to sell property i own
I have partnership in this property and my partner can not sell without my authentication
Will this cause any potential issues with Canadian immigration laws?

anujoshi

Star Member
Apr 18, 2015
Toronto, ON, Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello fellows
Happy new year
Thank you in advance
Before you have any status in Canada you can still buy property. Like another member said, you may have trouble getting financing/mortgage. Buying full cash, or buying with a large down payment and getting a mortgage through a secondary institution (not the big 5 banks) which may be more flexible in their lending.

Also, you may be taxed 15% foreign buyer tax (on top of the property value). If you become a PR within 4 years of buying property and paying the foreign buyer tax, you can apply for a refund of that 15%. You mentioned something about being a protected person; I am not sure about the details but you may get an exemption from this tax. The government website for you to find out more about this foreign buyer tax: https://www.fin.gov.on.ca/en/bulletins/nrst/[URL]https://www.fin.gov.on.ca/en/bulletins/nrst/[/URL]

Good luck!

sharkyguy

Feb 19, 2020
Hello people, I have such a question. Has anyone encountered buying a property abroad? How is this different? My daughter wants to go to Europe.

Biochemist

Star Member
May 21, 2019
Limited exemptions from the NRST are available in the following situations:

1. Provincial Nominees: A foreign national who is nominated under the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (“OINP”) at the time of the purchase or acquisition, and the foreign national has applied or certifies that they will apply to become a permanent resident of Canada;
  2. Protected Persons (Refugees): A foreign national on whom refugee protection is conferred (protected person) under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act at the time of the purchase or acquisition; or
  3. Spouses: A foreign national who jointly purchases residential property with a spouse, who is a Canadian citizen, permanent resident of Canada, provincial nominee, or protected person. The term “spouse” includes either of two persons who are married to each other, or who are not married to each other but who have cohabited: (1) continuously for a period of not less than three years; or (2) in a relationship of some permanence, if they are the natural or adoptive parents of a child. To qualify for the spousal exemption, the foreign national (and, if applicable, their spouse) must certify that they will occupy the property as their principal residence. The spousal exemption will not apply if the property is also purchased with another foreign national who is not a provincial nominee or protected person.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I want to apply Toronto airport for refugee application.so refugee apply than how many days later I can go asylum centre.
Unless you are a danger or you have no identity documents you don’t go to asylum detention. You are expected to find a place to live and apply for asylum. You will have to prove that you have tried to relocate within your home country first to seek safety.

Feb 19, 2020
I have British visa so I will go through Canada to Mexico .so I have Canadian transit visa.i want to fly from Heathrow airport to Canada my last destination in Mexico city.so while I will land in Toronto airport than can I seeking asylum in Toronto airport.so pls give clear idea

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have British visa so I will go through Canada to Mexico .so I have Canadian transit visa.i want to fly from Heathrow airport to Canada my last destination in Mexico city.so while I will land in Toronto airport than can I seeking asylum in Toronto airport.so pls give clear idea
Do you already have the approved transit visa? Have you relocated to another area of Bangladesh? That is one of the things you will have prove. Many get refused because they could have found safety in another region. Have you consulted a few Canadian immigration lawyers about your possibility of gaining asylum? Have you explored all other ways to get PR first? if your asylum claim is refused it has a lot of negative consequences so it is important to make sure that you have ruled out any other possible option first. Assume that it will take 1-2.5 years to get a hearing and if you get approved then almost 2 years to get PR. If you have a spouse and children expect to be separated for3-5 years if everything goes well.

Bangladesh to Mexico going through London is a very unusual route so am surprised you got a transit visa.

Anyone can claim asylum at the airport. You will start the claim process will be given some information and pamphlets and will be released into the the airport unless there are security concerns or you don’t have your own identity documents. If you got a transit visa you must have had a decent amount of savings. From the airport you will need to go to a hotel or AirBnB that you have booked.

sharkyguy

Feb 19, 2020
Unfortunately, no one answered my question, so I’ll try to describe in more detail. I found an apartment for my daughter in Bucharest on this site https://korter.ro, because my daughter wants to go to the University of Bucharest and continue her life in Europe. Will I have a problem with this, as I am a immigrant? And do I need any additional documents or something else to buy property abroad? Thanks!