+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Buying Medicines of Another Brand name But Same Content - PLEASE HELP!!!

hardeep_khalsa

Nov 7, 2019
India
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
16-06-2019
Hey Guys, Please help me if anyone knows about this situation.
I have got CoPR and everything and am about to fly next month. The doctor has prescribed me many medicines to buy in bulk before flying off to Canada, Now, Can I buy the same content medicines, but of a different Brand name and Product name ??? Is it okay and safe to do that ??

The reason why I ask this is because whatever the doctor wrote, those are really very very expensive and only available in the medicine shop in his own clinic and literally NOWHERE else. I don't want to spend so much money, especially if different brands of the same content medicines are equally effective.

Please do help me with this if anyone can answer to this..

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I have got CoPR and everything and am about to fly next month. The doctor has prescribed me many medicines to buy in bulk before flying off to Canada, Now, Can I buy the same content medicines, but of a different Brand name and Product name ??? Is it okay and safe to do that ??

The reason why I ask this is because whatever the doctor wrote, those are really very very expensive and only available in the medicine shop in his own clinic and literally NOWHERE else. I don't want to spend so much money, especially if different brands of the same content medicines are equally effective.

This isn't a Canadian immigration question. It depends on the rules related to this in your home country.

hardeep_khalsa

Nov 7, 2019
India
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
16-06-2019
This isn't a Canadian immigration question. It depends on the rules related to this in your home country.
I am from India. And this is Immigration question since I am migrating to Canada and I have this genuine concern!!!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am from India. And this is Immigration question since I am migrating to Canada and I have this genuine concern!!!
I can't comment on the rules in India.

From a Canadian perspective, you can bring in up to a 90 day supply of prescription medications for yourself when you come. That's the only rule.

Reactions: canuck78

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
You will need to visit a doctor in Canada to get the doctor to prescribe the medication before you can refill them in Canada. (before you used up your 90 day supply. )
What you describe doesn't sound very normal. Doctors here don't usually own/run a pharmacy as well. So getting the prescription and buying the medicine are 2 separate "places".

Reactions: hardeep_khalsa

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You will need to visit a doctor in Canada to get the doctor to prescribe the medication before you can refill them in Canada. (before you used up your 90 day supply. )
What you describe doesn't sound very normal. Doctors here don't usually own/run a pharmacy as well. So getting the prescription and buying the medicine are 2 separate "places".
If you are a temporary resident (visitor, student or WP holder) you can actually have a 90 day supply sent to you in Canada if the medication is legally available in Canada. any prescription medication should have your name, doctor’s name, directions for use on them.

Reactions: YVR123

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

If medications are expensive only take a 90 day supply with you because if you are found with an over 90 day supply anything over 90 days can be confiscated. If you are a temporary resident you can have a 90 day supply mailed to you in Canada as long as the medications are legal in Canada